I hired a session singer for my new rock track ??

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I hired a session singer for my new rock track ??

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am

Hey man! Cool to hear you experimenting with other vocalists - I think that's the route you'll need to go for these aggressive "disgusted and disenchanted" rock songs. There's just something about a younger & rougher voice that will bring these to life.

Now as for THIS singer specifically... well, it's okay. The final result is nothing I'd be embarrassed about sharing with the world, but also nothing too special. I hesitate to say this vocal is worth $100, but hey, I work with some of the best singers in the TV business and pay them nothing :D (well, not true really..... we always split ownership equally). However, in all my years doing this, my stable of ROCK vocalists is incredibly limited. What's so damn hard about finding a dynamite rocker, when there's probably a million of them singing in dive bars every night? I'll never know..... but it's a question that's vexed me for so long that I've pretty much given up on making rock music because I just can't find the talent that understands the business & work ethic required for this job.

So, that said, maybe what you've got here is as good as you're likely to find. I dunno.... It's not jaw-dropping, but it ain't bad either. Either way, it's great to hear your songs come to life via a different voice!

~~Matt

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am
Hey man! Cool to hear you experimenting with other vocalists - I think that's the route you'll need to go for these aggressive "disgusted and disenchanted" rock songs. There's just something about a younger & rougher voice that will bring these to life.

Now as for THIS singer specifically... well, it's okay. The final result is nothing I'd be embarrassed about sharing with the world, but also nothing too special. I hesitate to say this vocal is worth $100, but hey, I work with some of the best singers in the TV business and pay them nothing :D (well, not true really..... we always split ownership equally). However, in all my years doing this, my stable of ROCK vocalists is incredibly limited. What's so damn hard about finding a dynamite rocker, when there's probably a million of them singing in dive bars every night? I'll never know..... but it's a question that's vexed me for so long that I've pretty much given up on making rock music because I just can't find the talent that understands the business & work ethic required for this job.

So, that said, maybe what you've got here is as good as you're likely to find. I dunno.... It's not jaw-dropping, but it ain't bad either. Either way, it's great to hear your songs come to life via a different voice!

~~Matt
Hey Matt. Good to hear from you. I have been in a rock band nearly all my life. I know rock is pretty much dead except for some old timers like me. A few years back, I painfully watched teens wait for my band to take a break at a wedding reception. None of them had been dancing to our music. They set up a quick portable sound system and started playing "their" music and every teen danced. Old folks had a bewildered expression like what the heck is that. That to me was the big tell.
I thought i sang this song pretty good, but did notice I didn't have the growl/angst/power so I went looking. Also searched for a vocal app to accomplish that too. No luck.
You are right about hearing good rock vocals in bars etc. Our lead singer could do it but doesn't have and interest is the studio thangy.
So alas this track will go to sleep like so many others. Glad I never had high expectations hearing my work on the radio. peace to you man
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pm

Rock-N-Roll is here to stay...
Regardless what the deaf folks say...
(hey - write that one, Paul.)
:? :lol:
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm

funsongs wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pm
Ha ha Peter. Between you and Casey there is much good humor going around. But if you have a chance,and are willing, please comment about the song, Good or bad, it is always a help.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 pm

feaker66 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm
funsongs wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pm
Ha ha Peter. Between you and Casey there is much good humor going around. But if you have a chance,and are willing, please comment about the song, Good or bad, it is always a help.
I couldn't understand the lyrics.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:54 pm

I agree with what others said. The vocal is kinda OK but to pitch this, I'd go for better. The mix needs work but don't ask me for specifics there. I also found the lyrics hard to make out at times.

What's your goal for the song? That's the key question. If it's to pitch to Film/TV libraries, I'd say definitely get a better vocalist as the lead vocal is a critical factor as far as getting songs into decent libraries (and hence, placements). If it's more for personal pleasure, release to streaming, etc., with a decent mix, it would be fine.

HTH
:D Casey

XrashGates
Active
Active

Post by XrashGates » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

Last edited by XrashGates on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 am

feaker66 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 am
I know rock is pretty much dead except for some old timers like me.
It's not dead you're just listening to the wrong bands. Plenty of good current rock music around. The thing with younger people is they generally don't want to listen to the same music as older people. It's not their scene.

My Dad keeps putting his era of music on any time I go round ( he's a Hi-Fi buff ) but TBH I'm not really interested. Heard it all before ad-nauseum. But when I force him to put on something new he says it's terrible ( it's not ) and won't listen to more than about 30 seconds.

My own kids listen to stuff I wouldn't wanna listen to as well, although I'm more open to it because of working in Sync. It's always been this way, each generation has their own thing.
feaker66 wrote:
Also searched for a vocal app to accomplish that too. No luck.
Audimee

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:15 am

feaker66 wrote:
I know rock is pretty much dead except for some old timers like me.
I don't buy that for one second.... If this were true, why would Metallica be out there selling out 70,000 seaters for consecutive nights? Why would there be dozens upon dozens of rock tribute acts in just about every city in the US? And lastly, why would there be TAXI listings for rock material ongoing ALL OF THE TIME? I had a similar situation as you, I write and play all of the instruments, but have a "mediocre at best" voice, and one that is certainly not suited for any kind of harder rock or metal material. I did go out and start working with a former bandmate who kills at that stuff, and have gotten a few more forwards as a result. The guy that you used is "pretty" good but not nearly what you can find for $100 on Fiverr for example. And I know there are other sites around that other TAXI members have referenced in the past. Or better yet? Find another TAXI member to do these types of tracks on an even split? Just my two cents

"ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE"
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:39 am

While I do hire WFH vocalists often, I also have done it as a co-write (e.g. for a split). There are a lot of good vocalists and other musicians in the Taxi community that will do it for the split. One way to get options is to pay attention to forwards and see if you can find out who did the vocal on those tracks. I've heard some good rock vocalists here.