I just my first forward!!!!

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Hershthaprophet

I just my first forward!!!!

Post by Hershthaprophet » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:19 am

I just got my first forward!! Is there anything I should be doing right now to prepare if my song gets chosen?

https://www.taxi.com/members/N1n9xzS3Qg ... -wild-fire

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I just my first forward!!!!

Post by Paulie » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:51 pm

Congrats on achieving this important Taxi milestone! :)

No need to do anything at this point... the work begins if the library or supervisor contacts you and asks to use your music. When that happens they will send you paperwork to get the process started, and then you will need to submit the music in the format and versions that the client wants. Each library is different, just be sure to follow their directions to the letter. Some require just a full mix, and an instrumental mix only. Others require as many as 6-8 alternate mixes (bass and drums only, bed mix, reduced mix, no drums, 30 second, stinger, etc.). Don't bother making any of those yet, wait until you receive the client's specific requirements.

Best thing to do now is create some more of the same style, because usually the client will ask "how many more can you give me?" followed by "how much time do you need?"

Let the fun begin!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:23 am

I'd make sure of a few things...
- you have complete rights to all aspects of the track (eg you have agreements in place with any collaborators or WFH musicians)
- you are in a position to make the alternative/cut-downs/stems (eg the session is available to you in your DAW so you can edit it as required and know how to do so)
- you are in a position to deliver these alts/cut-downs/stems in any required format (48kHz or 44.1kHz, 24 bit or 16 bit, wav or aiff)
- you know how to sign documents digitally (ie a library contract)

If you get an offer it would be a shame for any of these things to cause problems or delays and sour a potentially fruitful relationship right at the start. There's no problem asking a library for clarification but don't expect them to educate you on matters they would expect you to know about as a music producer.

Keep your fingers crossed for a reply. Good luck to you :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:42 am

Hey Herschel

First off, your song is DOPE! I like the vocals and the production a lot! Way to go man! Secondly, about the next steps our Taxi authorities answered those questions very accurately before :)

Best of luck with your music!

Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:59 am

First CONGRATS! :mrgreen:

Graham's (Telefunkin's) response was perfect. And it goes without saying, always have backups of your projects/files. Besides the obvious reasons, you could get contacted months or years from now. It happens.

Be cautiously optimistic. A forward is great- it's a chance to get in with a library/sup and wonderful validation of your track and how it meets a brief. But many forwards do not result in a contact. That's the nature of our highly competitive business. You might hear from the client in hours, days, weeks, months, years, or never. So keep writing more great tracks!! And you can keep pitching this one until you have a deal in place, don't hesitate.

Good luck!
:D Casey

Hershthaprophet

Post by Hershthaprophet » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:36 am

Paulie wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:51 pm
Congrats on achieving this important Taxi milestone! :)

No need to do anything at this point... the work begins if the library or supervisor contacts you and asks to use your music. When that happens they will send you paperwork to get the process started, and then you will need to submit the music in the format and versions that the client wants. Each library is different, just be sure to follow their directions to the letter. Some require just a full mix, and an instrumental mix only. Others require as many as 6-8 alternate mixes (bass and drums only, bed mix, reduced mix, no drums, 30 second, stinger, etc.). Don't bother making any of those yet, wait until you receive the client's specific requirements.

Best thing to do now is create some more of the same style, because usually the client will ask "how many more can you give me?" followed by "how much time do you need?"

Let the fun begin!
Thank you, I've heard of that happening from a YouTube video where the guy didn't have alternatives and it didn't work out will. Thank you, I'll get to work creating songs in that similar style. Thank you for the advice.

Hershthaprophet

Post by Hershthaprophet » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:40 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:23 am
I'd make sure of a few things...
- you have complete rights to all aspects of the track (eg you have agreements in place with any collaborators or WFH musicians)
- you are in a position to make the alternative/cut-downs/stems (eg the session is available to you in your DAW so you can edit it as required and know how to do so)
- you are in a position to deliver these alts/cut-downs/stems in any required format (48kHz or 44.1kHz, 24 bit or 16 bit, wav or aiff)
- you know how to sign documents digitally (ie a library contract)

If you get an offer it would be a shame for any of these things to cause problems or delays and sour a potentially fruitful relationship right at the start. There's no problem asking a library for clarification but don't expect them to educate you on matters they would expect you to know about as a music producer.

Keep your fingers crossed for a reply. Good luck to you :)
This is fantastic advice! Forsure. I'll get all the paperwork done for it. I think, I recorded it in 16 bit. Do you initially just use a higher sample rate and bit depth in case you have to scale it down to prevent conversion issues?

Hershthaprophet

Post by Hershthaprophet » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:43 am

Thank you Chris! I appreciate you! Really good to know that this is legit and that my production is good enough the validation really gets me giddy! haha

Hershthaprophet

Post by Hershthaprophet » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:46 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:59 am
First CONGRATS! :mrgreen:

Graham's (Telefunkin's) response was perfect. And it goes without saying, always have backups of your projects/files. Besides the obvious reasons, you could get contacted months or years from now. It happens.

Be cautiously optimistic. A forward is great- it's a chance to get in with a library/sup and wonderful validation of your track and how it meets a brief. But many forwards do not result in a contact. That's the nature of our highly competitive business. You might hear from the client in hours, days, weeks, months, years, or never. So keep writing more great tracks!! And you can keep pitching this one until you have a deal in place, don't hesitate.

Good luck!
:D Casey
Thank you for the advice. I'll forsure, keep pitching it for other opportunities. I appreciate you.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 am

Hershthaprophet wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:40 am
This is fantastic advice! Forsure. I'll get all the paperwork done for it. I think, I recorded it in 16 bit. Do you initially just use a higher sample rate and bit depth in case you have to scale it down to prevent conversion issues?
It's best to record at the highest bit rate/sample rate that is ever asked for which is 48K/24 bit. Down-sampling is always better than up-sampling. From your 48K/24, you can create whatever someone wants. It's not a big deal if you do 44.1K/24 as converting from 44.1K to 48K doesn't create any artifacts that human ears can detect. But if you can, use the highest. BTW, don't bother with 96K as it will take up a ton of disk space for no real added audio benefit to the human ear.

Don't worry about what you already recorded. It's done and will be fine. I've had studios send me 44.1K/16 and had to convert to 48K/24 for a library. There wasn't any really noticeable sound degradation, at least not enough to take it from the broadcast quality realm or detectable by 98% of us mortals. A mega-audiophile might detect it but fortunately, the folks we deal with are almost never that way.

Best,
:D