I Love Taxi but they need to fix this...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

realdoyle
Active
Active

I Love Taxi but they need to fix this...

Post by realdoyle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Dear Taxi,

I want to thank you for all the forwards recently and the great feedback you give on the returned songs. However there is one thing that I am frustrated by. I am frustrated by the limit of songs that are allowed to be uploaded to our accounts. If Taxi were a free service then I could maybe understand a limit but we pay a good chunk of change for our membership and pay again to submit the songs to you. I know that we can pay for more space but I feel that is insulting and disrespectful to make us pay you a premium for hosting more songs just so we can paying you again when we want to submit them for a listing. Doesn't the membership fee and the $5 per song/per listing cover its "rent" on your server?

I'm fine with paying the listing fee. I get it and understand the reason behind it. I also understand the $300 a year membership fee to a lesser extent. But making us pay to host more songs to a website that isn't really made to be a social networking tool and is more like a dropbox between you and us, is not right. Furthermore, I believe it's in your best interest to lift the limit. The more songs we are able to keep in our accounts the more submissions we are likely to make (meaning more money for you).

I hope you'll take my thoughts into consideration and know that I mean them with the utmost respect for the service you provide.

Sincerely,
Doyle

KaelWaters

Re: I Love Taxi but they need to fix this...

Post by KaelWaters » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

ditto.
http://www.phonicsavant.com/

All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am

Hmmmm.... :? Personally I never found it to be an issue. You said yourself it's more like a dropbox than a social networking tool. At any given time, how many tracks can you have tied up in submissions? Other than that you can add/remove as needed for submissions.

I'm curious why you run into problems with the limit of 50. For pure song hosting, there are plenty of free sites like reverbnation and soundcloud.

Best,
:D Casey

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Gotta agree with Casey here. I think the most tracks I've ever had posted on my taxi website is 10, maybe 15... But then I only have them there for submitting to specific listings.

Good Luck!
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

KaelWaters

Post by KaelWaters » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am

I don't have that many either but still, It is up to the user as to how many active submissions they have...It depends I guess. Taxi should probably review this. If he is actually actively submitting those tracks then he should certainly be able to upload more.. They are making the extra cash after all.
http://www.phonicsavant.com/

All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

I haven't been a taxi member that long but I'm thinking before hosting you had to send a CD by mail or courier to submit for all listings. I've been told they added the hosting for free just to make it easier and cheaper on us as well as all the time efficiency considerations.

Good Luck!

guitarhacker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitarhacker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I agree..... I use Soundclick to host as many songs as I want to have for people to listen to.

I add new songs to TAXI only when I am submitting them to a specific listing. I also go through my TAXI site every few months and remove the stuff that on second thought isn't as good as it needs to be or just needs to be removed.

I keep the songs in a folder on my hard drives (plural for back up safety) so if I wish to upload them again for another listing I still have them.

I don't look at TAXI as a music "holding site" I look at it as a working site.... stuff in and stuff out on a regular basis.
http://www.herbhartley.com

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=28574

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo DaVinci

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm

guitarhacker wrote:I agree..... I use Soundclick to host as many songs as I want to have for people to listen to.

I add new songs to TAXI only when I am submitting them to a specific listing. I also go through my TAXI site every few months and remove the stuff that on second thought isn't as good as it needs to be or just needs to be removed.

I keep the songs in a folder on my hard drives (plural for back up safety) so if I wish to upload them again for another listing I still have them.

I don't look at TAXI as a music "holding site" I look at it as a working site.... stuff in and stuff out on a regular basis.
I agree with this! Either its a work in progress being posted on P2P or a track that has been submitted to an actual listing, if neither I take it down. But then I don't consider my stuff to be music that anybody would want to just listen to like songs for instance.

Good Luck!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 am

Some notions expressed regarding concern about the 50 song limit are flawed. Michael Laskow could address these better than I can, but here goes...

(1) Being able to host more songs would result in more submissions: In many years of being associated with Taxi as a member or an active forum participant, I've NEVER heard of anyone submitting less songs to listings because of a limitation on how many they could host on their Taxi page. I've also never heard anyone say they would submit more if they could host more.

(2) Taxi makes money on the $5 submission fees: Yes, Taxi is a for-profit business. But they do not make their money on submission fees. In fact the $5 fees barely even cover the costs associated with screening the submissions. They do have to pay screeners! More submissions does not increase their bottom line.

I'm NOT saying it wouldn't be a good idea for Taxi to increase the limit from 50 to some other number. But I would think that decision would be based on reality meaning what REAL problems members are having, not some perception of Taxi's cash flow.

Best,
:) Casey

realdoyle
Active
Active

Post by realdoyle » Sun May 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey fellow passengers,

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback on my suggestion. Some quick clarifications:

Regarding using taxi as an online song hosting service. I make all of my songs on taxi "private" and "not downloadable." I do not use taxi as a public song hosting service. I agree there are many better site for that kind of thing.

Casey, good point about the $5 fee submission not helping their bottom line. Yet I still feel that my year subscription fee should allow for more song hosting. Soundcloud is also a paid service and they offer much more hosting space for a similar price to Taxi's.

In reply to "In many years of being associated with Taxi as a member or an active forum participant, I've NEVER heard of anyone submitting less songs to listings because of a limitation on how many they could host on their Taxi page." As years go by bandwidth and storage demands go up. I remember a 5 years ago thinking that a 1 Terabyte hard-drive would be unthinkable as a standard feature in computers and now they come as a default in the new Apple iMacs. If you say that you've "NEVER heard of anyone submitting less songs..." well mark this down as the first. I would not have taken the time to post on the Taxi Forum if it wasn't a serious factor in the way I do business with Taxi. Does it make me want to throw my hands up and quit? No. But I do feel this is something that Taxi could improve on.

Thanks,
Doyle