I missed the RR IN 2016

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

I missed the RR IN 2016

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Hello, I was unable to attend the RR this past year. Can you still bring CDs or has that changed?

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: I missed the RR IN 2016

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:29 pm

They've switched to transmitting music by telepathic communication. :P

Seriously, yup... CDs still the way to go. They are multi-purpose too... Listening panels, mentor sessions, giving out to contacts, etc.

:D Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Casey H wrote:They've switched to transmitting music by telepathic communication. :P

Seriously, yup... CDs still the way to go. They are multi-purpose too... Listening panels, mentor sessions, giving out to contacts, etc.

Not to mention the shameless self-promotion!! :? 8-) :)
Seriously, though: if you're NOT loving and excited about what you've been creating,
why would you expect somebody else to like it, or love it? Hmmm?
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks guys, Hopefully I can make it this year. Although moving from Florida to Albuquerque took a little toll on my funds. Also, started a new job.

Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by davekropf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm honestly puzzled that CDs are still the go-to media, especially with most computers moving (or having moved away from) optical drives. And that's to say nothing about mobile devices like tablets.

I would think thumb drives or even cards with links to streaming playlists (customized for ease of use, of course) would be more accepted.

I'd appreciate any insights.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:34 am

Things to consider:
Many are afraid of flash drives from non-trusted sources because they've been known to have computer viruses and infect PCs. If I was an A&R exec, I wouldn't take flash drives either.

For mentor sessions, Taxi provides a boom box CD player on every table. The "system" works that way. Mentors are able to listen to what members bring 99% of the time. However, if you have music on your personal device, the mentor can plug their headphones into your device. Just make sure the volume isn't cranked up and you don't blow their eardrums out. But if your mentor asks for a copy of your best tunes, wouldn't you like to hand them a CD in a CD envelope-- safe, light, portable, well labeled, etc.?

The ballroom listening panels are still set up for CDs. I don't see anything wrong with that. It makes the "drop box" thing work well and they can't fumble around with different technologies on stage during these sessions.

In Driver's Ed classes, there is also a boom box CD player in every room. So if the teacher offers to play some examples from class participants, there is one universal way to do it and time isn't wasted fumbling with different media.

So when all things are considered, the CD still makes sense for the rally.

Best,

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by davekropf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am

That's a fantastic point about flash drives, and I hadn't considered the idea of malware. In my mind we're all a big happy family and everyone is above board!

Thanks for the in-depth response.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:53 am

davekropf wrote:That's a fantastic point about flash drives, and I hadn't considered the idea of malware. In my mind we're all a big happy family and everyone is above board!

Thanks for the in-depth response.
Someone can pass on a computer virus without even knowing it-- not by malicious intent.

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:20 am

Casey H wrote:Things to consider:
Many are afraid of flash drives from non-trusted sources because they've been known to have computer viruses and infect PCs. If I was an A&R exec, I wouldn't take flash drives either.

For mentor sessions, Taxi provides a boom box CD player on every table. The "system" works that way. Mentors are able to listen to what members bring 99% of the time. However, if you have music on your personal device, the mentor can plug their headphones into your device. Just make sure the volume isn't cranked up and you don't blow their eardrums out. But if your mentor asks for a copy of your best tunes, wouldn't you like to hand them a CD in a CD envelope-- safe, light, portable, well labeled, etc.?

The ballroom listening panels are still set up for CDs. I don't see anything wrong with that. It makes the "drop box" thing work well and they can't fumble around with different technologies on stage during these sessions.

In Driver's Ed classes, there is also a boom box CD player in every room. So if the teacher offers to play some examples from class participants, there is one universal way to do it and time isn't wasted fumbling with different media.

So when all things are considered, the CD still makes sense for the rally.

Best,
While it seems like the Cd has become obsolete, I agree that it does make sense to use them in the Rally setting.
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 am

Sometimes old school is the best school :lol:
RON