I Need Help understanding what I need

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: I Need Help understanding what I need

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 am

Stu
I think you know this, but just to be clear. I'm not saying collaboration is the ONLY way. It's one way. It can be done in parallel to your continued learning if you choose to do that. Nothing mutually exclusive.

Good luck!
:D Casey

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 am
Stu
I think you know this, but just to be clear. I'm not saying collaboration is the ONLY way. It's one way. It can be done in parallel to your continued learning if you choose to do that. Nothing mutually exclusive.

Good luck!
:D Casey

Yup, I understand. I agree, collaboration would be an important option to use. I'm going to see how I can ease my way not that. Just our conversation in this thread alone
has taught me quite a few things. Thank you for the suggestion of signing up for Soundgym. I wouldn't have known about it if I had not started this thread and had you not
responded. I also understand that it won't give me sound engineer ears over night but if I start now, I'll get there sooner than if I don't do it at all. I am grateful for you advice.

-Stu

RobRaede
Active
Active

Post by RobRaede » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 pm

Stu, there's a lot to like on this. Clever lyrics for one. And I think the vocal performance was pretty good actually, just a little buried in reverb. Telefunken did a thorough job of analyzing, but I would just add that the lead guitar part is overly repetitive to my ears, lacks pocket and feel, and the guitar tone sounds very early 50's, like when the electric guitar was first being used for rock and roll/blues. If that's what you were aiming for, then cool, you nailed it, but if we're looking for something a bit more modern sounding, the tone could use some attitude/drive/crunch.

As for pocket, feels like the lead guitar was a little out of sync with the 'band' here and there. Like he's on stage and had a few beers, and maybe tripped over a cable or something (I speak from experience).

If you're interested, I know a guy does great mixing for a very reasonable price, and I have occasionally lucked out and played the odd decent blues guitar lick myself from time to time.
Good luck with this!

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:39 pm

RobRaede wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 pm
Stu, there's a lot to like on this. Clever lyrics for one. And I think the vocal performance was pretty good actually, just a little buried in reverb. Telefunken did a thorough job of analyzing, but I would just add that the lead guitar part is overly repetitive to my ears, lacks pocket and feel, and the guitar tone sounds very early 50's, like when the electric guitar was first being used for rock and roll/blues. If that's what you were aiming for, then cool, you nailed it, but if we're looking for something a bit more modern sounding, the tone could use some attitude/drive/crunch.

As for pocket, feels like the lead guitar was a little out of sync with the 'band' here and there. Like he's on stage and had a few beers, and maybe tripped over a cable or something (I speak from experience).

If you're interested, I know a guy does great mixing for a very reasonable price, and I have occasionally lucked out and played the odd decent blues guitar lick myself from time to time.
Good luck with this!
Thank you for the feedback ,Rob. Yeah, I was trying to get an "old Time" guitar sound ie. Muddy Waters, BB King, etc. The listing called for a retro sound. The feedback that I got from the screener was that the guitar was repetitive also. I'm afraid to go out and get a pro to mix anything until I'm sure that the recording doesn't need any changes. I think you're right about the guitar solo. I need to rerecord it again. I'd like to find a collaborator who can work the production end of this out with me.

Thank you,
Stu