I need to get better.

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

I need to get better.

Post by twilsbach » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:46 am

I have come to the conclusion, that I'm a pretty terrible engineer.I know basics. I can get a clean signal, I understand basics on mic placement, how to set gain and level, fundamentals on compression. I can set up tracks for recording, even do punch-ins to make fixes.I know how to get Reason to play nice with Pro Tools, and can write & create a great sounding drum track with loops and Acid and import it into Pro Tools.My problem comes after I've got everything recorded. It sounds all muddy and gross, even after I've attempted PT's 4 band EQ on individual channels. Then when it comes to mastering, forget about it. I don't even know where to start.My ultra-flexable day gig gives me the time and I have the equipment (I think) to get the job done. I also feel like I write well and could be getting more forwards than I do, specifically on the Dispatch front. Also, I would be submitting more of the songs that I write that I don't even bother uploading because sonically, they're not there.I've thought about hiring a local engineer, but its not very economical for me to farm it out to a local studio because I'm not making enough yet to justify that cost.So, I could use some advice from some of the more seasoned producers/engineers here on the boards:-How did you learn? -What would you recommend someone in my position do to get better? -Are there classes you've taken, or books you've read that were helpful?I'd like to take an online class through Berklee that starts Jan 7, but I don't think I'm going to be able to afford it this time around.signed,Hopes He's Not Whining, Kinda Frustrated