International Library contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

International Library contract

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi all,
I have read other posts like this on this topic and I guess I will join them them with concerns of many like me who get an interest from library to sign with them.

I have read the contract and understand it but obviously not as good as a lawyer would so what do I do, do I just close my eyes and sign the papers. I did recently with a well known music library but not sure when it comes from the other side of the world, they might be really big and well known as well but they are all new to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you,

Andre Stepanian

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: International Library contract

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:02 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:50 pm
Hi all,
I have read other posts like this on this topic and I guess I will join them them with concerns of many like me who get an interest from library to sign with them.

I have read the contract and understand it but obviously not as good as a lawyer would so what do I do, do I just close my eyes and sign the papers. I did recently with a well known music library but not sure when it comes from the other side of the world, they might be really big and well known as well but they are all new to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you,

Andre Stepanian
Hi Andre!
There are some Taxi TV Shows with a well known lawyer - maybe that is a good starting point. I think what matters are the fundamental things and if you have got any specific questions just reach out to the Taxi Forum (the Taxi Forum does not offer legal advice but fellow members are very likely to share their experiences).
Cheers,
Matt

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi Matt,

I guess I was asking other members experiences, I don't have any specific question.

thank you for replying,

Andre

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 pm
Hi Matt,

I guess I was asking other members experiences, I don't have any specific question.

thank you for replying,

Andre
Hi Andre!
I doubt that anyone in this forum will encourage you to sign something with your eyes closed ;) I finished law school in a different life (not a music lawyer though) so I have a sound knowledge of the terms of the contracts I am signing but I guess you would have to point to specific paragraphs of the contract you are concerned with to get a meaningful response from the audience in this forum.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers,
Matt

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:53 am

MBantle wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 pm
Hi Matt,

thank you for replying,

Andre
Hi Andre!
I doubt that anyone in this forum will encourage you to sign something with your eyes closed ;) I finished law school in a different life (not a music lawyer though) so I have a sound knowledge of the terms of the contracts I am signing but I guess you would have to point to specific paragraphs of the contract you are concerned with to get a meaningful response from the audience in this forum.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt,
I think I can make my question more specific I hope. :?
I want to know if every time a new library is interested in a composition what is the best way to do a background check on a smaller music library(I am assuming) to see if they are worth signing with or not and not ponder over it for days. I watched a Taxi TV show in which Michael mentioned he doesn't like the small libraries that you see a bunch of songs on their website and you just pay with your credit card and they have no record of placements on their site so this is what I am looking at on this libraries website....I have read the contract and understand the terms..pretty standard. It's hard to find out from others when you can't share the name of the libraries to see if they have any experience with them.

cheers,

Andre

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 am

I understand that Taxi performs some form of background check on those companies that run listings with Taxi.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:54 am

MBantle wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 am
I understand that Taxi performs some form of background check on those companies that run listings with Taxi.
Okay,

Thank you