I think pro tools has an evil brain of its own.

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I think pro tools has an evil brain of its own.

Post by bigbluebarry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 pm

sethlit wrote:That's a solid idea too. I need to make sure to always have a "beginning my mix" save in case things get corrupted. I kept having problems after importing an older session's data. After working and saving to a new file, I wouldn't be able to ever open it. So, I'd be stuck importing the session data again...and again. I think I had some file or session that was ultimately corrupted.
I did finish the bossa, "Bossa for Mandy" (if you feel like listening to it). Thanks for the advice and my new saving routines. ;)

I have to admit though, I've been seriously considering a move to Cubase or something (research needed). I've got a pretty nice setup I7-860 processor with 8gig memory, WinXP. And I want to upgrade to Win 7, but I'm pretty nervous about its compatibility with Pro Tools. Not to mention...it would be nice to audio edit/record in 64 bit, so I can utilize all of my memory (which Pro tools doesn't do). I do use Kontakt 4 and superior drummer 2, which would hopefully be okay with Win7 64bit too. Man! Maybe old school tape with session players is the way to go. :D
Hey Seth,

In regards to your current situation, are you utilizing the Auto-Backup feature? If not, you can configure your sessions to automatically save themselves at an interval you set. I've got mine set to auto-save every 5 minutes.

I recently upgraded to PT 9 on a Win 7 64-bit i7-950 with 8GB RAM. So far I haven't had any major issues with PT. Prior to that, I was running PT 8 on XP for the last couple of years, and after doing some of the recommended system tweaks, it was pretty much rock solid for me. Back to PT 9... I'm also using Kontakt 4 and SD 2, the 64-bit versions, and have yet to have any problems with them.

Have you been on the AVID forums? http://duc.avid.com

There are some great threads over there on how to optimize your system for peak PT performance.

hth,
- Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 am

Ha ha ha. Dwayne :)

Tis true with the Mac. I just can't give up being able to do my own internal custom/upgrade work on my PC at a whim at the moment. But I do have to admit that I'm getting closer and closer to exploring the world of Apple.

bigbluebarry- You give me hope with sticking to PT for now. I did do a lot of the PT system tweaks (which helped performance considerably!). I am just on the verge of upgrading to WIN 7/PT 9 and a little worried about Kontakt (specifically) running nicely. I know that Kontakt can be a little shaky with PT. It's nice to hear of your success with it. Maybe I'll give it a go knowing that if it doesn't work, I can finally give in to Cubase. ;)
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 am

sethlit wrote:Ha ha ha. Dwayne :)

Tis true with the Mac. I just can't give up being able to do my own internal custom/upgrade work on my PC at a whim at the moment. But I do have to admit that I'm getting closer and closer to exploring the world of Apple.

bigbluebarry- You give me hope with sticking to PT for now. I did do a lot of the PT system tweaks (which helped performance considerably!). I am just on the verge of upgrading to WIN 7/PT 9 and a little worried about Kontakt (specifically) running nicely. I know that Kontakt can be a little shaky with PT. It's nice to hear of your success with it. Maybe I'll give it a go knowing that if it doesn't work, I can finally give in to Cubase. ;)

I thought you had a Mac.

Dude. Cubase 6 is out!

Get smart and get a real DAW. Cubase 6 beats them all. SAve up and get a good PC too for half the cost of a MAc.

If you are serious about your music then get serious about your gear.

Im not trying to be harsh so dont take it that way ok? Just trying to inspire you to move up.

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Dwayne, no offense taken. You're absolutely right, gear is crucial. No Mac, I probably wasn't entirely clear. Right now I've got an I7 870 quad processor, with 8gig ram, Win XP, running Pro Tools 8.0.4. The computer is "audio only" meaning I only ever connect to the net for the occasional update that I can't do with discs. I truly haven't had many issues until recently. Apparently it was a problem with too many cross fades overlapping too many region edits. (Still just a theory though) The main reason I would like to stick with Pro tools is for the fact that so many of our local pro studios use it. I've been able to easily transfer tracks back and forth on various projects. I'm a little hesitant for a DAW move for two reasons: 1. pro studio compatibility (even though I imagine there's gotta be an easy .wav export or something in Cubase) but PT session files?? not so much. 2. The biggie...just how long will it take me to learn? I guess I could still work in PT and make a slow and easy transition into Cubase. Tough call either way I guess. But you're right...I gotta figure it out! :D
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 pm

sethlit wrote:Dwayne, no offense taken. You're absolutely right, gear is crucial. No Mac, I probably wasn't entirely clear. Right now I've got an I7 870 quad processor, with 8gig ram, Win XP, running Pro Tools 8.0.4. The computer is "audio only" meaning I only ever connect to the net for the occasional update that I can't do with discs. I truly haven't had many issues until recently. Apparently it was a problem with too many cross fades overlapping too many region edits. (Still just a theory though) The main reason I would like to stick with Pro tools is for the fact that so many of our local pro studios use it. I've been able to easily transfer tracks back and forth on various projects. I'm a little hesitant for a DAW move for two reasons: 1. pro studio compatibility (even though I imagine there's gotta be an easy .wav export or something in Cubase) but PT session files?? not so much. 2. The biggie...just how long will it take me to learn? I guess I could still work in PT and make a slow and easy transition into Cubase. Tough call either way I guess. But you're right...I gotta figure it out! :D
Well with your chip and RAM that cant be the problem. To me Windows 7 is a no brainer. Its so much more efficient and stable. With XP you're not making the most of your RAM. W7 is WAY more efficient.

And unless the "pro studio" has all the same plugs you do, a session file means nothing. Yes, Cubase has a batch export that I use to send to "pro studios" quite a bit. So the compatibility issue is not real to me. To me it is the "pro studio" that needs to switch. :) Not you.

Cubase is easy to learn. In a day or so you'll be whipping around it. And once you see the things it has to make your work flow easy and quick, you'll never go back to PT. And since I was one of the first people on the planet to use PT I can tell you first hand that Cubase sounds better. I was there in the beginning stages of PT. The algorithm is old.

And if you do allot of midi work then you are just plain cheating yourself by using PT. Cubase is so far ahead its not funny.

So again, please forgive me for pushing but I like to see my fellow composers move up in the world. I started recording to digital hard disk in 1987. That is way before most anyone in the recording business. So, its just a passion of mine. And I like to see people make the most of it. So, again dont take my comments hard. Im just passionate about it.

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 am

Dwayne, it would take a lot to offend me :D Your passion encourages me to get off my @#! and figure this out!

The more I am reading about Cubase 6, the more I like it. I actually don't think it would take me very long to figure out...at least to the functioning/still getting things done level. Here's a question (if you don't mind): I've been using the Mbox Pro2 for all of my Pro Tools stuff. Not as my main preamp, but the only dreaded way of using Pro Tools 8. I highly doubt Cubase would be very Mbox friendly. SO...without breaking the bank, any AD conversion advice/suggestions? (assuming I take the Cubase plunge). I know this could be opening a broad discussion, but I would be looking for something primarily with no more than 4 inputs...and obviously, very Cubase friendly. ;)

I do appreciate the honesty and any suggestions you might have.
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:51 am

I have a little Focusrite Sapphire. It works fine. I think you can use anything.

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 am

sethlit wrote:Dwayne, it would take a lot to offend me :D Your passion encourages me to get off my @#! and figure this out!

The more I am reading about Cubase 6, the more I like it. I actually don't think it would take me very long to figure out...at least to the functioning/still getting things done level. Here's a question (if you don't mind): I've been using the Mbox Pro2 for all of my Pro Tools stuff. Not as my main preamp, but the only dreaded way of using Pro Tools 8. I highly doubt Cubase would be very Mbox friendly. SO...without breaking the bank, any AD conversion advice/suggestions? (assuming I take the Cubase plunge). I know this could be opening a broad discussion, but I would be looking for something primarily with no more than 4 inputs...and obviously, very Cubase friendly. ;)

I do appreciate the honesty and any suggestions you might have.
Good question. No easy answer. After listening to my $900,000 System for many years in the the late 80's and early 90's when it came time to get a converter I could not take anything cheap. Your converter is the heart of your system. The biggest part of your fidelity depends on it.

Most people might say that the converters under $1000 are good enough. I dont. For sure they can produce "broadcast quality" and if your a really good engineer the could produce "record quality". But I personally have not been able to stomach them.

The best and least expensive thing on the market is the Lynx Aurora 8 channel. To me that is the bottom line quality I would accept. Or, you can get anything that Black Lion can modify. This can cost between $1200 and $1900 depending on which thing they modify.

All those are cubase friendly.

Sorry there's no easy answer. Maybe others have some input on this. Allot depends on your cash situation.

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 am

Free webinar on Cubase 6 this Wednesday Jan 26th at 2 pm Eastern: Click here to register. i think anyone can but I'm not sure.

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistratio ... e=register

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Dwayne-
That's funny, I was just looking into the Lynx Aurora 8 ch. I was also reading somewhere that Black Lion is coming out with something new that is supposed to be killer. Maybe with Namm 11' gear being released, prices on the old stuff may drop?

The more I research, the more I think I should save up for the Aurora 8. Besides...it would be a nice write off after all ;)

I'm definitely to the point of really wanting to dive in and do it right. I have always felt that my mixes have lacked that "thickness", "space" to them. While, I'm sure that improving my engineering skills will help, it sure would be nice to work with good A/D conversion. Up till now, I have been hearing the Mbox2's conversions. I have way too many projects ahead of me to not justify spending the investment.

Thanks for the advice! It might be a month or so, but I'll keep you posted with which A/D I end up going with. Now...WIN7, and to start reading up on Cubase 6. :D

kitchensinkmusic-

Thanks for the link, I'm signing up. Perfect day/time for me as well.

I have to say, this forum rocks. You guys are amazing. :)
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy