I Write Lyrics&Vocals First. Backwards?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MandyDuke

I Write Lyrics&Vocals First. Backwards?

Post by MandyDuke » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Taxi Members,

I always start my songs with vocals first. I start singing and I finish the entire song without instrumentals. I’m not sure if this is completely backwards?? Although I can play piano, I only recently started adding them to my songs and they sound amateur at best. I add chords and a few small melodies but I don’t love it.

I have the music in my head for the instrumentals but it would sound best with guitar. (I don’t play guitar) I need someone with an ear for an accompaniment that is excited to bounce my ideas off.

Feel free to browse a few of my songs. I didn’t edit them, and it’s without instrumentals. It’s important to me that you see what you would be working with instead of an auto-tuned voice. Can’t wait to hear from you!!

When It Rains - Acapella by Mandy Duke https://soundcloud.com/user-204958007/w ... s-acapella on #SoundCloud

Out Loud- Acapella by Mandy Duke https://soundcloud.com/user-204958007/out-loud-acapella on #SoundCloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: I Write Lyrics&Vocals First. Backwards?

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi Mandy
You have a lovely voice and really solid songwriting chops!! :D

A lot of great songwriters write with no instruments or chords. Jason Blume, Billy Joel, and tons of others. It allows the writer to focus on pure melody. Not backwards at all! In fact, nothing is "wrong" is it works! :D

I'm not a producer, I'm a total non-performer who roughs out songs and pays for demos. So I might not be your best choice here, though I'd love to work with you!

There are so many great people on here you could work with! I'm sure you'll be contacted. This is a great place for meeting collaborators. Also, you should try to come to the road rally. I've met so many great collaborators there.

I'll drop you a PM so we can talk more.

Best,
:D Casey

MandyDuke

Post by MandyDuke » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Casey,

Thank you for the kind words. I had no idea such idols also worked with this method. That’s great news! I would love to work with you and anyone you have met so far that we could all work as a team. I’m super passionate and happy to get rollin! I am absolutely dedicated to coming to the Road Rally this year and blocked my calendar ahead of time. Priorities. :D Yes let’s chat more and see what we can do.

Thanks again!

Noego
Active
Active

Post by Noego » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am

I think you are well on your way. Your songs sound like today's offerings. Another great songwriter, Neil Finn from Crowded houae I believe works that way. I have tried it myself as well. Sometimes the instrument inspires a melody and sometimes just walking does. Generally being awake. Or even when I dream. I have always had some form of music in my head. I think most songwriters do.

Good luck. I wish you big success!
You are young and energetic and talented so everything going for you. Don't waste any of it.
Lou.

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Cool songs. You've got a great voice and, as others have said, if you can write songs like this the way you do there's clearly nothing 'wrong' with doing so. I'm
kinda in the same boat except I can't even sing and have to use a vocaloid so I guess you're one step ahead of me if that makes you feel any better as a songwriter ;)

There's lots of -plug ins and VSTs you can use to help you put chords etc to your vocal melodies. Or you could even look at using samples and loops. They get a bad name sometimes but even pop hits use samples - from what I've read Annemarie & Marshmello 'Friends' used an acoustic sample taken from Splice. The main thing is you've got a great ear for melody and a vocal to match so you'll be able to find away to build the rest of a song around that- whether that's through using VSTs, samples or collabing with producers, musicians, arrangers etc on here. IMHO a bigger problem would be if you could play a chord but had no ear for melody!

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Mandy You have a great voice and your songs are right up there with what I keep hearing on the radio. I think your " backward " approach is great and it is working for you. I only write songs and do not perform or record them, as I get other people for that. I also like to work backward some times when I am writing. I will write the last line of a verse first, because that is the line that I think is most important, and then I will write the other lines to rhyme with that one. I will also use the same chords of a hit song and write my own melody to it. We all have our ways of making music. Good luck on Taxi, you really have come to the right place :)

Cheers

Tom

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 am

I'm quite sure Bruce Springsteen goes with lyrics/vocals first...then the instruments, so you are in some very good company.

I, on the other hand, need to create a melody on a guitar or piano first to inspire the lyrics. I suppose there are many ways to reach that destination.

Good luck to you. I hope you find someone from this forum to work with. :)
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

MandyDuke

Post by MandyDuke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Noego wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am
I think you are well on your way. Your songs sound like today's offerings. Another great songwriter, Neil Finn from Crowded houae I believe works that way. I have tried it myself as well. Sometimes the instrument inspires a melody and sometimes just walking does. Generally being awake. Or even when I dream. I have always had some form of music in my head. I think most songwriters do.

You are young and energetic and talented so everything going for you. Don't waste any of it.
Lou.
Lou,

I swear I’ve had several dreams where I’ve created a work of art and I wake up and am extremely disappointed because I have forgotten every part! Haha So unfair. Thanks for the support and I’d love to hear some of your music.

MandyDuke

Post by MandyDuke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:40 pm

songmaster wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 am
Hi Mandy You have a great voice and your songs are right up there with what I keep hearing on the radio. I think your " backward " approach is great and it is working for you. I only write songs and do not perform or record them, as I get other people for that. I also like to work backward some times when I am writing. I will write the last line of a verse first, because that is the line that I think is most important, and then I will write the other lines to rhyme with that one. I will also use the same chords of a hit song and write my own melody to it. We all have our ways of making music. Good luck on Taxi, you really have come to the right place :)

Cheers

Tom
Tom,

I think that’s a great idea, using chords from a hit song and starting a song with the last line. Very creative and smart since chords are chords and what you do with them is what matters. I appreciate these tips!!

Noego
Active
Active

Post by Noego » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:47 am

MandyDuke wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Noego wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am

Lou.
Lou,

I swear I’ve had several dreams where I’ve created a work of art and I wake up and am extremely disappointed because I have forgotten every part! Haha So unfair. Thanks for the support and I’d love to hear some of your music.
I am a little.more traditional (translation older) . Eagles, Jackson Browne, Country era of Trisha Yearwood, George Strait.
I have to start building a catalog of fresher material. I had cuts in the 90s. Like ancient history to you guys haha.

You however just need some instrumentation. I am sure many people here would love to help you out by playing backup for your vocals. If you sing to a drum beat or click track and send the two wav or mp3 files one can come up with something for you.

Lou.