I wrote a chorus so amazing this morning...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

I wrote a chorus so amazing this morning...

Post by twilsbach » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:09 pm

That the earth shook.I couldn't think of any other explanation when I couldn't sleep and got out of bed early this morning and put pen to paper, then married words with melody and before I knew it, my whole house was shaking. WOW.Turns out it was just an earthquake. In Indiana.SeriouslyAll you LA people are shaking your heads and laughing, but thats a scary propostion for a midwesterner. Also, clearly being sarcastic about my earth shattering song writing ability. I actually slept through the whole thing. I did feel, quite profoundly though, one of the aftershocks. Pretty freaky.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I wrote a chorus so amazing this morning...

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Apr 18, 2008, 3:09pm, twilsbach wrote:That the earth shook.I couldn't think of any other explanation when I couldn't sleep and got out of bed early this morning and put pen to paper, then married words with melody and before I knew it, my whole house was shaking. WOW.Turns out it was just an earthquake. In Indiana.SeriouslyAll you LA people are shaking your heads and laughing, but thats a scary propostion for a midwesterner. Also, clearly being sarcastic about my earth shattering song writing ability. I actually slept through the whole thing. I did feel, quite profoundly though, one of the aftershocks. Pretty freaky. Hey, Tim.Growing up in Memphis, the "New Madrid" fault, in the Missouri boot heel, was the source of many a shaker. I'm not at all surprised to hear you felt one.There is a series of lakes called "The Finger Lakes" in northwest Tennessee (that also happen to be a Bald Eagle sanctuary). They were created by a 19th century earthquake on this same tiny little fault that is estimated to have rated a 9.1 (maybe even higher) on the Richter scale. The roofs of several limestone caves/artesian wells collapsed, and the story goes that the Mississippi River ran backwards for a couple of days, while it was filling up the holes...now the Finger Lakes. They CLAIM that earthquake was felt as far away as NYC...Just ride 'em out.No, wait. Forget that. Write them out!!! Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 pm

I felt it to Tim. I was a little disappointed though when I found out it was just an earth quake and God wasn't summoning me for some grand purpose...oh well

cyndy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by cyndy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:19 pm

That quake was felt here in Tulsa too this morning!!Hey, maybe all of us should write a colab about it!!Somethin' about a crowded taxi and a speed bump... no wait, ...

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm

I was really looking forward to hearing the chorus! Great choruses happen so rarely but earth quakes, everyday... somewhere. wta
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

che
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by che » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:01 pm

We felt it here in Cincinnati also. Unfortunately I'm up at that ungodly early of a time in the morning getting one of my kids up for school. I had just layed back down and couldn't figure out why my bed was swaying and shaking. I heard a few creeks in the ceiling.....and fell right to sleep I woke back up 30 min later to make sure he made it out the door on time and saw the news crawl that it was indeed an earthquake. Missed any aftershocks.....shucks!!! I've always said I'm scared to move to Cali cause of the "Big One" that might be coming... go figure...we have one here.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Wow, glad all y'all okay. We had a small one two years ago out in the Sound.....and I was in a big one in Europe when I was a kid......tore up the marble floor bad and smashed the windows. Skeery!!

silverorlead
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by silverorlead » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:53 am

I felt it too here in Chi-town, and I sleep below ground level (basement bedroom), so it was really a crazy experience!But it also sends me off on a tangent: Have you ever written a song in your sleep and woken up and actually captured it? At first I thought that was the subject of this threat so I thought I'd open up the question. It happens to me all the time where I do that, wake up, and then blearily sing a melody into my PDAPhone (a more valuable writing instrument than my guitar even), only to fall back asleep and listen in the morning to my hilariously simplistic and not-as-great-as-I-thought song.The one time it actually worked was when I dreamed I saw myself on TV playing a hit song, and then realized I was dreaming, so I forced myself to memorize it and fought my way awake and actually remembered it, chord changes melody words and everything. It was a crazy experience, and I've yet to record the song, but this thread made me think of it so I thought I'd share Any other good sleep-writing stories??

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:35 am

I was watching a PBS series on jazz musicians, from way back to now. Anyway, they interviewed a couple of horn players who were noted in the day. One of them said he woke up in the middle of the night with absolutely the most incredible song going through his head so he quick wrote it down. He got up the next morning and started working on it. The guy who was sitting next to him laughed and said, "yeah, I walk in and he's playing and I say to him, 'hey, you finally learned Stardust, huh?'

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 am

I enjoy earthquakes, if I'm in a safe place. It's like a short exciting surprising ride and then afterwards you feel invigorated. It's an awe-inspiring reminder of the power of nature.