ID#219 Quite Like You!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

ID#219 Quite Like You!

Post by 53mph » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 am

I don't usually bitch about my reviews but this one annoyed me as it's a very lyric orientated song and listener#219 didn't even appear to listen to the whole song.Title: Quite Like YouOverall Comments: Dear Phillip: You have a nice easy going vibe to the song Quite Like You. It's a nice concept.. It feels like it could be tightened up just a bit lyrically. For eg "’ve never made anything quite like you"-made -how can you make someone? An ultimate lyric progresses the story from verse to verse- it doesn't repeat the same idea in different words..... Maybe fill out the story and tell us how this person is so different-not just how the singer has seen different things?? It's a really nice idea and has some good lines- just a bit of polish would help make it be as strong as it should be... The written lyrics on broadjam were actually wrong and nowhere in the song did I sing this line. That was the second verse so I can only assume the reviewer only made it as far as the first verse and just read the rest of the lyrics. If he/she had really listened they would have known that the written lyrics did not correspond to what they were listening towait under a tree in a storm?- how would this make sense- killing yourself?? It seems a little incongruent....I don't see the problem with this line. It's like saying, "I'd jump of a cliff to show my love for you....that's how much you mean to me" what's incongruent about it The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: Lyric could be a little tighter. Listing below:Unique and stylish MALE SINGER-SONGWRITER/AAA SONGS [no instrumentals] a la John Mayer, Pete Yorn, Jack Johnson, Badly Drawn Boy, Ray LaMontagne, etc. are still wanted by a West Coast Music Library/Publisher that has had recent placements on HBO, Disney TV + numerous Network and cable TV shows. Simple guitar/vocal or piano/vocal arrangements are preferred, but a full band sound is OK too. They offer a 3-5 year exclusive deal with a reversion clause. The company’s owner will screen your submissions. No need to submit if forwarded for Y061011AA. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Feb. 7, 2007. TAXI # S070207MS Here are the lyrics:I’ve seen great canyons and I’ve lived in mountains high,I’ve swum amongst the oceans and I’ve seen some people die,I’ve heard a lot of stories,Some of them were true.But I’ve never heard of anyone quite like you.I’ve been to San Francisco and I’ve been to Istanbul,I’ve lived amongst their people and they’ve fed me till I’m full,I’ve done a lot of travelling and I’m going to do more too,But I’ve never found a place on earth quite like you.(You)A crash of thunder,(You)Fall of rainMy life changed,The day you came.(You)Streak of lightning,(You)Burst of light,Since you entered my life,Everything has been so right.I’d wait for you even under a tree.I guess you’ve never met anyone quite like me.I’ve crossed great deserts and I’ve been to Calgary.I’ve drank from the fountain and I’ve eaten from the tree.I’ve taken all that life can give and I’ve given back some too.But I’d give up everything just to be again with you.Yeah I’d give up everything just to be again with you.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: ID#219 Quite Like You!

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:40 am

HiDo TAXI reviewers get the lyrics off broadjam when the submit electronically? A few years back when I was a member I thought that was not the case. Maybe it is now.It is very possible that this reviewer blew it. I didn't have time to listen, but the bottom line is it IS possible. If you contact TAXI and explain (politely!!) they generally will do a re-review for you. This has been mentioned on these boards before. As you long as you don't abuse this privilege by asking all time and you are professional & polite, they will do this.Good luck! Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 am

Quote:HiDo TAXI reviewers get the lyrics off broadjam when the submit electronically? A few years back when I was a member I thought that was not the case. Maybe it is now.It is very possible that this reviewer blew it. I didn't have time to listen, but the bottom line is it IS possible. If you contact TAXI and explain (politely!!) they generally will do a re-review for you. This has been mentioned on these boards before. As you long as you don't abuse this privilege by asking all time and you are professional & polite, they will do this.Good luck! CaseyYes, the Taxi reviewers get the lyrics off Broadjam.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:03 am

the lyrics are fixed, as far as I know the screener get a screenshot of them.so if you're changing the lyrics AFTER submitting a song, the screener will see the old version.
production, composition & stringed instruments

jakarow

Post by jakarow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi,I read your posting with great interest, because I received a similar review from #219. I think you'll appreciate this:Overall Comments: Dear Julie : The song has a nice wistful, light air to it. Lyrically it feels like it could be tightened up a bit. A first verse should give us the who/what/where/when and why and set up the scene for the listener. You start off by saying the lover lies but it's okay "I’ve found a heaven in all this hell "-what kind of heaven-?? You say he makes you better? This is confusing and vague. "keeper of the lighthouse"-who is this and where did this character come from? "I know better so I won’t hide ‘Cause nothing feels like this love"- know better about what? How does it feel -the best/what? Be clear and make each verse develop from beginning to end. He/she also noted that: Song would be stronger if you developed a stronger rhyme scheme throughout verses and choruses..The reason it wasn't forwarded?Lyrics need some more cohesion. #219 did say the song was on target for the listing.This song was submitted for the listing below:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------FEMALE SINGER-SONGWRITER SONGS a la Dido, Jewel, Lisa Loeb, Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Liz Phair, etc. are wanted by a West Coast Music Library/Publisher that has had recent placements on HBO, Disney TV + numerous Network and cable TV shows. They offer a 3-5 year exclusive deal with a reversion clause. The company’s owner will screen your submissions. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Jan. 25, 2007. TAXI # S070125SS Now, maybe I'm just missing something, but I've listened to Jewel and Alanis Morissette and "cohesive lyrics" wouldn't be in my list of ways to describe their songs. I must admit I've heard very little of the other gals. Personally, I feel like #219 was looking for a novel, not a song. Many songs leave a lot open for interpretation (and I always thought that was the mark of a GOOD song...shows you what I know ). Like you, I wondered how much time the reviewer spent really listening to the song. For example, the reviewer said "You say he makes you better? This is confusing and vague." The full line says "He takes me as I am and makes me better than anything that I could ever dream." That seems far from vague to me. "What kind of heaven?" #219 asks. Gee, I wasn't aware of multiple heavens; certainly, I didn't think it necessary to give the listener EVERY bit of information. Isn't that what TV is for? I'll post the lyrics below; maybe I am truly missing something here and have no ability to write lyrics.Come Inside You go out under the guiseOf gift giving, but I know how you lieA little bit at a timeBut it’s okay, do what you willI’ve found a heaven in all this hellchorus:And he says come insideCome insideI know better so I won’t hide‘Cause nothing feels like this loveIt doesn’t matter now what you choose to doEverything you meant to sayEverything you meant to giveIs water and muck and mire underneath that bridgeAnd I hear the keeper of the lighthouse callingSaying come insideCome insideI know better so I won’t hide ‘Cause nothing feels like this lovebridge:And he calls me beautiful and he saysI don’t need to explainHe takes me as I am and makes me better thanAnything that I could ever dreamWell, I’ve walked through hell and I haveCamped out in the wildernessI’ve waited far too long for things to be differentBut it’s okay, I’ll move onI hear the tune of a brand new songSinging come insideCome insideI know better so I won’t hide‘Cause nothing feels like this loveNothing feels like this loveNothing feels like this love

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:27 pm

Guys...please note that it says "the company's owner will screen your submissions".Meaning that #219 is actually both the screener AND the person placing the listing. You can certainly disagree with his opinion about your lyrics, but ultimately he's the client...so if he doesn't like it or it's not what he's looking for...then that's that. You can't really argue with the fact that he's not "forwarding" the song (to himself ).It would appear that this person was looking for a particular style of lyric for the songs he wants to add to his library, and yours weren't in that style. No big deal, it happens all the time. It's quite possible your songs would be a good match for a similar listing by a different company, so my advice is to just chalk this one up to not being in the right place at the right time...That's how it goes sometimes (actually most of the time ) matto

jakarow

Post by jakarow » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:56 am

Oh...I think I didn't quite understand. Since the listing I submitted to said that it would be reviewed and critiqued by TAXI, I assumed that the owner screened them after TAXI did. I guess I didn't realize exactly how that worked. That's a whole lot easier for me to swallow. Thanks for the tip.