If I could get the benefit of your expertise.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

foxefire
Active
Active

If I could get the benefit of your expertise.

Post by foxefire » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 am

I thought I would put this out so some folks with experience with the Taxi process could give me a handle as to whether a membership at this point in my development makes sense, or whether I should do some more work on honing my approach.Here are some examples done in my living room. Is this "broadcast quality, sell-able writing/playing?I was lucky to get some outstanding players to come flesh out some of the tunes, . I am just a basic rhythm guitar player, flute and keyboard hacker, vocalist that has to spend more time on my day job than getting my musical skills together.Thanks in advance.Blessings and Balance,Ernesthttp://www.reverbnation.com/ernestwhaley');// -->ovmprod@yahoo.com
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site
Http://www.ernestwhaleymusic.com

My ReverbNation Music Page
http://www.reverbnation.com/ernestwhaley

foxefire
Active
Active

Re: If I could get the benefit of your expertise.

Post by foxefire » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:38 am

First link is to the songs, second is my email if you don't want to comment in the forum.Thanks.Blessings and Balance,Ernest
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Had a listen to a few tracks, cool ideas for sure. Not broadcast quality, demo for sure. Best thing I can say is listen to other artists who are getting radio play or film/tv licenses and compare your tracks to them and you'll get a feel for how close or how far the production quality is. Recording/Engineering is a DEEEEEP groove to get into to pull off broadcast quality, even for those with a truckload of experience still have a challenge to nail BQ so to hope to hit it in a simple living room recording would be like lightning stricking your coffee table BUT it could happen... I'd advise in the future to pick one song you're working on and post it and then ask for help to make it the best possible, narrow the scope a bit and with recording/engineering get into some "how to" stuff on line to get a feel for what it takes to get a track into the pocket. Mics, preamps, recording enviroment, mic placement are all verying issues. There are some cool taxi videos on utube that helped me with some of the education. Knowing what the screeners or music supervisors are looking for and what the expectations are is a big key as well and it just takes some time to start off with a tune, record it best you can and get other guys advise on P2P here and then submit it and get a critque fromt he screeners. As we go through the process we all get better and better, some faster, its all relative to how much time we put in, mmm, I guess its like anything really. Hope that helps, you can check out some of my new stuff on www.myspace.com/williamthomasanderson I'm finishing up a neo-psychedelic rock album of which much is loaded there... Cheers, hope so of this helps... wta I dig your groove mate... wta
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

wings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by wings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Hey Ernest! Great voice - I think it might do you well to join to get some solid critiques and get in the habit of what they expect from you. It's a whole new game when you've got some skin in the game. That said - your "home recordings" on some listings could totally stand up. In regard to your lyrics - I have no idea. But you can always post a song right here in p2p with the lyrics and give it a whirl. Just listened to "Children" and "Fare thee well" and am on to your "flute version..." I really like the style! Congrats! Hope this helps.~wings~

foxefire
Active
Active

Post by foxefire » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Aug 18, 2009, 8:36pm, wta wrote: Had a listen to a few tracks, cool ideas for sure. Not broadcast quality, demo for sure. Best thing I can say is listen to other artists who are getting radio play or film/tv licenses and compare your tracks to them and you'll get a feel for how close or how far the production quality is. Recording/Engineering is a DEEEEEP groove to get into to pull off broadcast quality, even for those with a truckload of experience still have a challenge to nail BQ so to hope to hit it in a simple living room recording would be like lightning stricking your coffee table BUT it could happen... I'd advise in the future to pick one song you're working on and post it and then ask for help to make it the best possible, narrow the scope a bit and with recording/engineering get into some "how to" stuff on line to get a feel for what it takes to get a track into the pocket. Mics, preamps, recording enviroment, mic placement are all verying issues. There are some cool taxi videos on utube that helped me with some of the education. Knowing what the screeners or music supervisors are looking for and what the expectations are is a big key as well and it just takes some time to start off with a tune, record it best you can and get other guys advise on P2P here and then submit it and get a critque fromt he screeners. As we go through the process we all get better and better, some faster, its all relative to how much time we put in, mmm, I guess its like anything really. Hope that helps, you can check out some of my new stuff on www.myspace.com/williamthomasanderson I'm finishing up a neo-psychedelic rock album of which much is loaded there... Cheers, hope so of this helps... wta I dig your groove mate... wtaThanks WTA. I will keep those things in mind, and also check out you music on MySpace.Blessings and Balance,Ernest
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site

foxefire
Active
Active

Post by foxefire » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Aug 19, 2009, 2:48am, wings wrote:Hey Ernest! Great voice - I think it might do you well to join to get some solid critiques and get in the habit of what they expect from you. It's a whole new game when you've got some skin in the game. That said - your "home recordings" on some listings could totally stand up. In regard to your lyrics - I have no idea. But you can always post a song right here in p2p with the lyrics and give it a whirl. Just listened to "Children" and "Fare thee well" and am on to your "flute version..." I really like the style! Congrats! Hope this helps.~wings~ Wings, I appreciate your kind words, and will take them to heart.got a cash flow problem due to a layoff at the moment, but will save some out of the unemployment check and get on board eventually.Thanks again for your time.Blessings and Balance,Ernest
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Post by hookjawbrown » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Your acoustic duo guitars need some better microphone technique to make them sound fuller, not so thin. When the acoustic is with the electric instruments the same sound cuts through nicely.Singing - need to open your pipes, let your growl out, smooth out some phrases and relax. Don't play guitar and sing for recordings.....just concentrate on the singing. When I am driving around I yowl out the lyrics in different ways so when I get in front of the mike I have an idea of the sound I want. There are very few "natural" singers, most of us just struggle along with it.
Hookjaw Brown

Pre-Cleared, One Stop, Acoustic Country Blues

www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 pm

I echo what wta said .. good advice. And I'll add, post one song at a time (with written lyric) and tell us your goal for that song ... film-tv .. pitch to artists .. or both. That helps.Sounds to me like you are focusing on film-tv, since you ask about broadcast quality. I listened to SONG FOR THE CHILDREN .. you already knew it wasn't broadcast quality .. work tape. I liked the song. It has a nice feel/vibe to it, which is important for film-tv. Maybe the lyric could say a little more, but not sure unless I have the written lyric in front of me.Dean

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 pm

hi Ernest,U have good song writing talent here... good vocals & good live performance skills... However, we know that the Taxi standards are pretty high in terms of productions...To get up to broadcast quality U'd probably need a lot of work or someone who specializes in the production area to help polish up Ur tracks...Before I joined Taxi... I wrote directly to them with a link to some of my tracks & website... & asked them if I stand a chance of getting anywhere with what I've got (I didn't believe that my music was in demand for tv/film cos it is so non-mainstream)... they replied after abt 2 days & I believed them so I joined & true enough got forwarded abt a month after...U might wanna also get this kind of feedback directly from them... I'm pretty sure they're quite honest... HTH.-Kel
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

foxefire
Active
Active

Post by foxefire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 am

Aug 19, 2009, 9:41pm, hookjawbrown wrote:Your acoustic duo guitars need some better microphone technique to make them sound fuller, not so thin. When the acoustic is with the electric instruments the same sound cuts through nicely.Singing - need to open your pipes, let your growl out, smooth out some phrases and relax. Don't play guitar and sing for recordings.....just concentrate on the singing. When I am driving around I yowl out the lyrics in different ways so when I get in front of the mike I have an idea of the sound I want. There are very few "natural" singers, most of us just struggle along with it.Thanks HJ!!I will work on all of the above, and spend some quality time "yowling" in the car! The technique you suggest is perfect for me as when I'm singing, I don't really have a plan as to what to do next, and am only reacting to the chords/melody in the instruments.Thanks again.Blessings and Balance,Ernest
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site