If You Could Buy One SampleTekk? Or Two?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markjsmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

If You Could Buy One SampleTekk? Or Two?

Post by markjsmith » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:14 am

SampleTekk is having their annual summer sale! I was thinking of picking up one of their piano libraries, but which one. I know several of you speak very highly of their piano libraries, so I was hoping someone would recommend one.
I'll have 3 primary uses, solo, w/orchestra samples, and latin montunos & such. If that helps.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: If You Could Buy One SampleTekk? Or Two?

Post by crs7string » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Mark,

Non-piano related, I like their marimba a lot. Well sampled and is panned from low to high.

Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Hey Mark. I'm sort of in the same boat. I've nailed it down to either the White Grand or the 7CG.

I have the Emperor Bosendorfer already which I love, but the Bosendorfer sound isn't always the right sound. I'm leaning towards the White Grand right now, I think it's one of those tools that most everyone will eventually want in their bag.

Plus I suck at piano playing so I'm not sure I could take full advantage of the 7CG. :oops:

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:55 pm

For montunos I usually use the White Grand cause out of the box it sounds the most like the pianos on salsa records, nice bright and cutting sound. It's also the best for anything pop or rock or modern country where you need the piano to cut.

For solo, 7CG is probably tops, followed by the Black Grand. The disadvantage of the 7CG is it uses the most RAM which of course makes it so enormously playable (31 discrete velocity layers of each pedal up and down), but may be a problem when using it within an orchestral setting unless are on 64 bits with plenty of RAM.

The Black Grand comes with many smaller presets with fewer velocity layers (it tops out at 16/16) which would usually be sufficient in an orchestral setting.

If I could only buy one I'd get the Black, most versatile thanks to the 3 different mic positions. But I'm glad I've got all the ones I have, to chose from...

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:01 am

I don't have the need for more piano's, but I seriously consider picking up the Brass one. The demos sounds very good.. can't advice you, though
Ceo of my own life