Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: If you refuse to do POP...

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 pm
So, if you get your pie chart what will you do with it? Will it drive you to do anything different or will you continue to do the same (in which case it served no purpose)?
Maybe eat some humble pie? :lol: :lol: (Just joshing around :P )

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:06 am

Telefunkin wrote:
So, if you get your pie chart what will you do with it? Will it drive you to do anything different or will you continue to do the same (in which case it served no purpose)?
Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive, and that certainly wasn't my intention. Actually, I congratulate you for making the observation in the first place. My point was that your post title suggests you're pretty resolute about not being interested in pop music, so no amount of stats analysis would change that. Paulie took the time to provide a snapshot of the current genre distribution and the info for that is there for anyone to do the same, but did it help and have you modified your plans as a consequence?

Taking a much wider view, if you keep hearing music on TV and think 'I could do that' then you're in a much better position than if you make music in styles that rarely show up. However, there's a place for just about anything of broadcast quality. The challenge is to find the opportunities, and Taxi is still a great place to do that, as well as finding collaborators to broaden your chances.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:06 am
Telefunkin wrote:
Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive, and that certainly wasn't my intention. Actually, I congratulate you for making the observation in the first place. My point was that your post title suggests you're pretty resolute about not being interested in pop music, so no amount of stats analysis would change that. Paulie took the time to provide a snapshot of the current genre distribution and the info for that is there for anyone to do the same, but did it help and have you modified your plans as a consequence?

Taking a much wider view, if you keep hearing music on TV and think 'I could do that' then you're in a much better position than if you make music in styles that rarely show up. However, there's a place for just about anything of broadcast quality. The challenge is to find the opportunities, and Taxi is still a great place to do that, as well as finding collaborators to broaden your chances.
I definitely stand corrected on the listings having mostly pop, things have been very different lately. And also too, I think it is true that I have had a too narrow view of what "pop" is, and I tend to gloss over those listings. I have actually made songs now that are considered (partially) "pop", but I would have never considered them that before myself.

So actually, I would delete this posting if I could... doesn't seem to have an option to? I have gotten my pie chart, and it has indeed motivated me to change and produce a lot more, and I definitely stand totally corrected, especially realizing that my definition of "pop" was not how the industry always uses it, and I had written this at a time that seemed that mostly what was coming in was just one thing (and I was wrong about that).

So my apologies! And thanks everyone for your thoughts!
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:40 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:57 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Maybe eat some humble pie? :lol: :lol: (Just joshing around :P )
I have eaten that pie! I was definitely glossing over some requests because of seeing "pop" in the headline, I definitely have had a too narrow idea of what is considered "pop", and I have actually had forwarded now country "pop" and folk "pop", and so I gladly eat humble pie.

Just because it's "pop", doesn't necessarily mean it's WAP. I stand corrected! :-D

Thank you everyone for your feedback!!
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com