Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX

Post by bassman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 am

Anyone used this plugin?

I generally don't buy many plugs but I just tried the demo and thought it sounded not bad.

I haven't actually tried it in a mix and as their discount is only untill the end of March I would be
interested to hear from other users. Opinions, what's it like in a mix, observations etc.?

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX

Post by bassman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Obviously not many bass players on this forum. 8-)

bobmelanson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bobmelanson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Almost bought it ... They had it on special for $99 and I had some IK points/dollars from a previous purchase. Unfortunately i couldn't use my points as a further discount so I passed.

It does sound good though, from what I remember.
Bob ....

My Day Job
My Taxi Tunes
Download my instrumental guitar CD free

Audio Engineer/Sound Editor/Musician/Custom guitar tracks for your tunes .... oh, and Dad/Husband too!

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:02 pm

hey bassman, I'm mainly a bass player, lots of session stuff for about 30 yrs. I haven't used this plug but I use a SVT live (and an old Peavey Mark IV that sounds great!) and have mic'ed them up for recording a few times. 90% of all the best studio recordings I've played on have been direct. It seems like every good engineer/producer has their favorite pre-compressor combo for bass but any good DI and opto compressor seems to be the usual way to go (and sounds better most of time than a mic'ed Ampeg rig). I'm curious, I've never even considered using a plugin for bass, what's the benefit?

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 am

I have it and I never use it. I much prefer the simple bass amp that comes with Logic.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 am

I should add that it's the only one of the IK Multimedia amp sims I don't like. Amplitube 3 is great and also has some decent bass patches but for me Logic's bass amp just comes together very quickly in a mix.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:48 am

I have used it and been quite impressed, but the one I use most of the time now is Studio Devil's Bass Amp Pro.
http://www.studiodevil.com/products/vir ... s_amp_pro/

It's very cheap and very good. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bassman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 am

hey bassman, I'm mainly a bass player, lots of session stuff for about 30 yrs. I haven't used this plug but I use a SVT live (and an old Peavey Mark IV that sounds great!) and have mic'ed them up for recording a few times. 90% of all the best studio recordings I've played on have been direct. It seems like every good engineer/producer has their favorite pre-compressor combo for bass but any good DI and opto compressor seems to be the usual way to go (and sounds better most of time than a mic'ed Ampeg rig). I'm curious, I've never even considered using a plugin for bass, what's the benefit?
Hi there
At the moment I am using a radial DI into a very cool studer preamp with a dbx 160a compressor. My bass is a squier. It sounds good for most things but sometimes lacks a bit of character (could be my playing mind you I am not a bass player ;) )
I've played around with SVX for a bit and I have to say I've found it very interesting. I tried it over some rock cues I'd done where I felt the bass sounded a bit flat and it instantly sounded authentic and the bass suddenly cut through.
I am a big fan of 60s bass sounds, dub, Beck, air etc etc and again I thought the SVX managed to replicate the sounds very authentic. There's a demo of it on their site. I would be curious to hear your thoughts being a bass player.
I much prefer the simple bass amp that comes with Logic.
That's interesting. I've compared the two side by side and I found the logic bassamp quite boxy sounding but I'll have another listen today.

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 am

I'll give it a try & get back . . . . my guess is that it's probably providing some some eq configurations you haven't tried on your own. In that case it could be pretty useful. a bass sound that sits well in a mix and really punches through can sound pretty unusual when isolated.
many times when I would hear an experienced person "dialing in" my bass track I'd wonder "what the hell is he doing to my great bass sound?" But then in the context of the mix it would sound great. it made me bolder when working with eq on my own bass tracks, more so than I ever would have been without the experience.

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:48 am

I'm a bass player but like elser I use the Logic plug in which ranges from adequate to pretty good.

Sorry I can't help.

Michael.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks