In it for the long haul !

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

In it for the long haul !

Post by Mark Crozer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 am

Hello there

Just thought I'd share something with you, particularly if you're maybe feeling that things aren't quite going your way with Taxi. I first joined Taxi a little over ten years ago and began very enthusiastically submitting songs to various listings. For a long time I got nothing but returns. No forwards at all. After a while I started to feel that Taxi was just a scam to get money out of me. So I let my membership lapse. Then a while later I had a re-think. Maybe I was wrong, maybe Taxi was valid. So I joined again and started being a lot more selective about which listings I forwarded my songs to and paying a lot closer attention to the criticism I received. I still didn't get any forwards! But I kept on writing and recording convinced that one day I would have some success. And eventually I began to get the odd forward here and there which was very, very encouraging. Then I got quite a lot of forwards so I thought I must be doing something right.

Last year, after pretty much TEN YEARS of submitting tracks on and off (though I did let my membership lapse two or three times and am not even a member at the moment) I was contacted by a big music library who I'd been forwarded to by Taxi asking me to submit more material. The time lapse between the forward and the contact from the library was almost a year. I submitted some more stuff and they liked it and offered me a contract. In the last year I've provided them with about 25 pieces of music. Not that much really as until recently I'd been focussing on other stuff. However, over the summer they sent out a very specific request for music which I responded to which lead to being offered an additional contract to write 'custom' music for them. A couple of other Taxi members have been offered the same deal I think from reading other posts. I am now focussing a lot of my time on writing for these specific custom requests. Just in the last week I've written, recorded and submitted 12 pieces of music for 4 different shows. Maybe they won't be quite right this time but I know that success will come if I keep going, just as I knew that if I kept going with Taxi, one day I would get a forward. Which reminds me... I must renew my membership!

So if you're feeling like you've been submitting over and over and getting rejection after rejection then don't worry. It's part of the process. What I'm trying to say, in a very long-winded way, is that Taxi does work. You just have to be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: In it for the long haul !

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Congrats!!

mfowler
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mfowler » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Mark,
Great story and thanks for sharing! It does give one hope!
Congrats and may continued success be with you..
Marlin

jparker
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jparker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks for sharing the story with us, congratulations!

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kurtkreimier » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:24 am

Congratulations Mark and Welcome to the Forum!!!

crystallions
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crystallions » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 am

This is very cool Mark! Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing - and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around. :)

~ Lydia
Lydia L. Ashton

http://www.lydiaashton.com

"To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist." - Robert Schumann

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am

Hey Mark, thanks for sharing your story! My taxi journey has been slow too, but oh so worth it! Congrats on all all your success!

Ayal

Post by Ayal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm

congratulations mark!! slow and steady wins the race.

it never ceases to amaze me that some people expect things to be instant and effortless. sure sometimes people get lucky and things come easy, but there is no substitute for hard work, perseverance, and a positive attitude. such a simple formula for success! :)
Last edited by Ayal on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 pm

thanks for the pep talk...

markmeilander
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markmeilander » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:29 pm

That's a great story!
Congratulations and continued success!

Mark
"There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in"
- Leonard Cohen

Model 77 Productions