In the air tonight

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Re: In the air tonight

Post by PhilRey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 am

Yes it obviously depends of the final use of a song I guess..
(but if you don't want to take any risk, make it short, understood ;) )

Ok I'm rendering a V3 ! :twisted: :D

Thanks ! ;)

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 am

V3 : https://soundcloud.com/melodeicon/in-th ... ight-cover

Hoping that this time nobody will fall asleep... :? :D

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi Phil,

It is a wicked cool version..I would like to hear it without the percussion...I know Phil C is all about percussion tho! :D

Linda

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:29 pm

The Old-Guy's still awake... :shock: :) Hallelujah! :? :lol: ...and we're having fun - in the air tonight!

Though I like Phil Collin's stuff - this song wasn't a particular favorite, for me. I like your COVER better, even - the groove is groovier, for my tastes.
And - even though your COVER sounds fine & complete - I hear another take on it, as well.
As a fan of T.O.P./Soul/R&B -
If you wanted to blow out the doors with your track - have Marcus sing it a la Bruno Mars,
and get Matt VB and/or Paulie Croteau to add a big horn section into the build!
That's my nickel's worth.
It's sound great as-is.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.
Last edited by funsongs on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you Linda, Thank you Peter, really appreciate your kind words ! ;)

Peter: who are Marcus, Matt VB and/or Paulie Croteau ? Who are these people !? :)
However, I agree that a real horns section would be a plus. I'm still searching for a decent pop-jazz-horns library... Didn't find any for now...

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 am

I like the treatment, but I think you are right that it is too busy as is.

I like the uke and the acoustic gtr, the claps and the vocals.
The strings sounded a bit midi, imo (If you add more ambiance to some other elements, you don't need them)
The background vocals sounded a bit mechanic, imo

I think you can make the arrangement simpler and more effective. It did sound crowded, and not very dynamic.

Maybe use a reference for your arrangement and mix, like a song or two from The Lumineers and/or Mumford and Sons. That would place this version in "indie folk".

I also think it can build more, if you subtract some of the elements in the beginning.
The claps sounds like they really can make the choruses effective, so take them out in the verses.
The uke and the acoustic gtr sounds like it fights the vocal frequencies (the vocal "drowns"), so maybe use one at a time, and bring it down relative to the vocal(s)

Also remember dynamics when you arrange the "build", you can build in more than one act when it is a full song. like intro-verse-1stchorus and then start again verse-2ndchorus, then bridge, then the end. That is 4 possible "builds", maybe just 2 or 3, if you want to build up until 2ndchorus, the bridge, and out, or bridge-3rdchorus-out (2 builds). By separating the builds, the song might breathe more.

You have everything here (solid idea, good performances, nice sounds), but thin it out, separate the builds, and focus on effective introductions of the elements, imo.
Ceo of my own life

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 am

Kolstad wrote:I like the treatment, but I think you are right that it is too busy as is.

I like the uke and the acoustic gtr, the claps and the vocals.
The strings sounded a bit midi, imo (If you add more ambiance to some other elements, you don't need them)
The background vocals sounded a bit mechanic, imo

I think you can make the arrangement simpler and more effective. It did sound crowded, and not very dynamic.

Maybe use a reference for your arrangement and mix, like a song or two from The Lumineers and/or Mumford and Sons. That would place this version in "indie folk".

I also think it can build more, if you subtract some of the elements in the beginning.
The claps sounds like they really can make the choruses effective, so take them out in the verses.
The uke and the acoustic gtr sounds like it fights the vocal frequencies (the vocal "drowns"), so maybe use one at a time, and bring it down relative to the vocal(s)

Also remember dynamics when you arrange the "build", you can build in more than one act when it is a full song. like intro-verse-1stchorus and then start again verse-2ndchorus, then bridge, then the end. That is 4 possible "builds", maybe just 2 or 3, if you want to build up until 2ndchorus, the bridge, and out, or bridge-3rdchorus-out (2 builds). By separating the builds, the song might breathe more.

You have everything here (solid idea, good performances, nice sounds), but thin it out, separate the builds, and focus on effective introductions of the elements, imo.
Thank you so much for this detailed feedback ! I'm gonna work on this right away ;)

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 am

Ok I would love to spend more time on this, but unfortunately I have too many things cooking right now ;) (and deadlines etc.....)
- not even sure that this last version will be taken in account by Taxi as the deadline is over I think, but i'll try...

So here is a last rendition, with some kind of build up,and maybe less guitars in the first part...

https://soundcloud.com/melodeicon/in-th ... er/s-3xY0K

In any case, if one day I'm making some money out of this, you definitely all deserve credits (and champagne !) for it ! HUGE thank you everybody ;) - Phil

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 am

PhilRey wrote: Peter: who are Marcus, Matt VB and/or Paulie Croteau ? Who are these people !? :)
All three are "TAXI All-Stars" in my book: Matt Vander Boegh; Marcus "CaiNo" Cohen, and Paul Croteau.
They've collaborated with each other, and Matt & Paulie have both done horn parts for songs of mine.
Marcus aka CaiNo has been having quite a run, too.
I've had the pleasure of meeting each of these folks at the Road Rally.
Networking there, and on these Forums, is an opportunity that can play a huge role in taking full advantage of your TAXI membership and this amazing community.

I suggest you put out an "APB" and get to know some of your TAXI 'family'.

Hope that helps.
From the cheap seats: Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

I see... Well as soon as I earn my first $$$ with Taxi, I'll definitely go buy a plane ticket to attend to a Taxi rally ! ;) (not kidding I would LOVE this !)
But for now, it's not on my list (I wish though) ;)