"in the general stylistic wheelhouse of (but not limited to)...

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

harpfool

"in the general stylistic wheelhouse of (but not limited to)...

Post by harpfool » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:00 pm

(Edited to remove initial negativity and actually ask a question.)

The subject phrase appears in quite a few listings, preceding the list of references to check out. The listing I'm referring to is Y190826ND.

What does the phrase "(but not limited to)" in a listing mean? To a literal mind like my own it indicates that the client might be open to hearing something in the genre but stylistically different from the examples given. But a listener responded to a recent submission from me with:

"Give the example tracks a listen and I think that you will hear how different [your] song sounds. I mention this because accurate pitching is an extremely important part of earning forwards."

Understanding the meaning of "(but not limited to)" would help me to avoid submitting way-off-the-mark tracks.

Thanks.
Greg

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Re: "in the general stylistic wheelhouse of (but not limited to)...

Post by sermusicusa » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:09 pm

This is just an example of how Taxi uses copy and paste in their listing without regard.
I have mentioned this to them before and nothing has changed. But not limited to......
I got a response once that said your track wasn't in the exact style of the sample tracks provided or something like that. But the listing said "But not limited to" those tracks.
They should remove that phrase from all listings, it creates confusion. If their client wants songs that sound like a certain Ed Sheeran song , then they should say that specifically. Putting Not Limited to in there opens it up too much and makes people send it tracks that will be rejected. And the author of those tracks loses $5 because the listing was too vague.

harpfool

Post by harpfool » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks for your reply! I thought the problem must be me.

Anyhow I now just limit submissions to opportunities that I have stylistic matches for. Since I'm in the alt-country genre, those are few and far between. Cheers!

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:09 pm

I would say that it really depends on the individual listing. If we are talking about urban dramedy, swamp guitar, epic trailers, Hawaiian folk etc. I don't think there is a need to put 10 reference tracks and Taxi therefore puts 'including but not limited'. If it is a direct to music supervisor listing on the other hand and the listing is about a song that is supposed to replace a temp track, then, yes, I would agree 'including but not limited' might be confusing but I don't think I have ever seen that.
My five cents.
Cheers,
Matt