Inconsistent Reviews...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Inconsistent Reviews...

Post by bc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Dan,I seldom comment on other's music here, but "Someday" deserves kudos. Nice work. bc

danhazer

Post by danhazer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Hey - Thanks, bc. I really appreciate the kind words.Regards,Dan

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:01 pm

Quote:But almost everything I have submitted to is high-bar. I will talk about why some other time.Horace-Is now a good time? Curiously,Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:24 am

AndreBear in mind that my concepts and even submission practices are in constant evolution right now. Much of that is the direct result of information and guidance I get here on this board. Without that guidance I am pretty sure I would have been like the test rat that keeps running ramp A because it got conditioned to receive food there, and starves to death after the food is moved over to ramp B. Though I have written a fair amount of songs and instrumentals both solo and with co-writers, I have not done much submitting at all before I joined Taxi. The nineteen or so submissions I have made through Taxi exceeds the number of times previous to that in my entire life I have submitted anything!Why did I submit to only high bar listings?I was forced to do what I would have done anyway. Is it getting any clearer? Ya! sure.A Majority of the listings for country songs are high bar. When I joined Taxi the songs I had in the greatest state of readiness were country songs. I believed I was in possession of the goods at that point, so there was no reason not to send them to the highest powered listings. Hence, what I would have done anyway...So far that country stuff hasn't blown the doors down. Big disappointment. But fortunately, perhaps, for me, I have some more tricks in the medicine bag, write in a lot of other styles and had just fallen into a partnership in a studio as the sole working partner.Though I have not given up on my country songs and constantly work on them ( I like to keep about thirty irons in the fire at once) it was natural to follow my own interests as they strayed while I got to know the studio, coming at it pretty much a beginner as technician and producer.Now that I am finally getting some different styles into a better state of recorded readiness, I plan to include some of these forays in future submissions. These will be for library listings, and of course I will submit only to high bar libraries. What is this, according to my ever brewing theories? I will get into that later. Now it is so layte I can't spell.

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:59 am

Just wanted to add that I mistakenly submitted the same instrumental to the same listing twice. I got forwarded by one reviewer (right on target, ..) and massively rejected by the other (3s). HMMM..?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:06 am

Quote:Just wanted to add that I mistakenly submitted the same instrumental to the same listing twice. I got forwarded by one reviewer (right on target, ..) and massively rejected by the other (3s). HMMM..?I would definitely politely bring that to Michael's attention, including the screener numbers. These kinds of concerns are legitimate. (However, at the same time, I imagine it would have been a mistake if you were forwarded twice for the same listing - that could be quite confusing to the client.)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:24 am

Quote:Quote:Just wanted to add that I mistakenly submitted the same instrumental to the same listing twice. I got forwarded by one reviewer (right on target, ..) and massively rejected by the other (3s). HMMM..?I would definitely politely bring that to Michael's attention, including the screener numbers. These kinds of concerns are legitimate. (However, at the same time, I imagine it would have been a mistake if you were forwarded twice for the same listing - that could be quite confusing to the client.)I have. the response: Congratulations for being forwarded.re.: confusion: that is definetly not my problem. Obviously, the review process is completely flawed and there is no central overview or guidelines. It all depends if the revieweres are smoking good or bad pot that day.

longrider
Active
Active

Post by longrider » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 am

I have read most of the replies on this topic and all I can say is WOW!!! I hope that I did not make a mistake by joining Taxi... Maybe we should send some pot with our songs.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Quote:I have read most of the replies on this topic and all I can say is WOW!!! I hope that I did not make a mistake by joining Taxi... First thing is that no one ever makes critical posts about the screeners after getting forwarded. If Taxi members can get past "Forward = screeners are fine, Return = screeners are morons" then they'll learn a lot from the critiques, they'll improve their music, and they'll be getting forwarded way more than getting returned. Besides, saying that Taxi screeners are morons is really a huge insult to those that get forwarded. Like the only reason we've ever gotten forwards is because of the incompetence of the screener. Hang with the winners... Dave

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 pm

<Here I am trying to compete with the big boys and I’ve never completely read a songwriting book, taken a course, or really worked at this.>How many songwriting books do you think Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and Merle Haggard have read collectively? My guess is 0.I don't have anything against the guys who write these books. But my own opinion is, if someone can't figure out how to write a song by themselves, an expert cannot do them much good. As far as I am concerned, you have already figured it out. Now you need to perfect and hone, or read books about it, if you prefer. I have read a few such books, but should have used that money for something more inspiring like a smoking bud.