Indie Folk

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Indie Folk

Post by JohnDroese » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm

A Bunch of MODERN FOLK or INDIE FOLK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a boutique Music Library with tons of credits in big Feature Films and countless TV Shows and Commercials.

They’re looking for Songs in All Tempos that fall within the general stylistic range of the following references:

“We're Going Home” by Vance Joy

“Spirits” by The Strumbellas

“Don't Let Me Down” by Milky Chance ft. Jack Johnson

Please send well-crafted Modern Folk or Indie Folk Songs with engaging melodies, solid musicianship, and strong songwriting. Your production styles can vary from simple tracks with just acoustic guitar, handclaps, and foot stomps, to small acoustic-based ensembles, and all the way up to more fully produced Songs. Having really compelling vocal performances should help with getting the attention of this company!

Songs with universal lyrics are typically the most easily placed, so please try to avoid specific names, dates, places, brands, and profanity in your lyrics. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for feel, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: They will need instrumental-only versions of your Songs as well, but not yet! All you need to submit for now are the Full Songs with vocals. Please have mix-minus-vocal versions on hand and ready to send at a moment’s notice, if you get a call or email from the Music Library. If you don’t have the ability to get your mix-minus-vocal versions in the hands of the Music Library within an hour after being contacted, please do NOT submit for this!

This company is only interested in signing material from artists who have worked with music libraries and music licensing companies in the past, and understand how those deals work. If you don't understand the drill on library deals, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

TAXI # S200719FS

Here is a song I am working on any feedback is appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/john-droese/time-is-a-bandit

Thanks John

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Indie Folk

Post by Zaychi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 am

Overall decent production and well-delivered vocals! I got a HUGE flash-back of Feargal Sharkey there...

Somehow the whole song feels like an intro... I'm waiting for the drums to kick in all the time!

Just quickly browsed through the ref songs, but they seem like quite a different style? I wouldn't call this folk, really...

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 am

Nice Tune!
I listened for about 30 secs
Checked all three References...
I don't think it will get the forward due to the Vocal delivery, feels more like a 90's Rocker ballad vocal performance (Poison/Ratt/Guns)
Listen closely to the vocal delivery/EQ/Reverb of the Refs, much more personal, reverb is tighter
Keep On Truckin'
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:05 pm

It's a decent song and delivered well but it's just not an Indie Folk song. If I had to call it I'd say it wasn't written to the listing.

Mark

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback..... figuring out a songs genre is tuff for me still learning to hear the differences

Thanks again