We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Indie-Pop listing

Post by mwb2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking of polishing up this song (which I wrote for a class) for listing S210422PP, "Current-Sounding Indie Pop". I just bumped the tempo up about 3 BPM so I do need to rerecord the lead vocals but they'll sit basically where these do.

https://soundcloud.com/mwb2/shoulda-done-by-now

Overall - how's the mix? Is the production interesting enough, too busy, too boring? And is the end too abrupt? When it was slower this got me to about 2:45 or so, but now that it's a little faster I could conceivably repeat the 8-bar tag at the end.

Thanks for any opinions and wisdom!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Indie-Pop listing

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:19 am

Great job Mike!
My thoughts, for what they're worth... the vocal is a little incomprehensible and a tad low in places, it'd be in your best interest to lose the profanity (or at least have alt versions with/without), and I think the extra tag would help the run-out.
I really like the track and hope it does well for you.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 am

Thanks Graham, very helpful! Will work on all of those. I think especially up a few BPM it just really needs more play-out now or it feels sudden.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 am

Mike- it's very impressive, super engaging. You singing right? Great!
Just one word, I'm not sure should be in there.......but maybe it's ok. I would steer clear of that.

Susan

www.susanhillmanmusic.com
www.instagram.com/susanhillmanmusic

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks Susan! Yes, me singing :) There will be an alt-lyric sheet too for sure!

Thanks for the listen,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodymessiah » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 am

the chorus is really nice, got easily stuck in my head. but the rest of the song is not that engaging to me, melodically. i would have used the same chord progression as on the chorus, and write another melody to it. i would also use the same chord progression on the intro, and make something more compelling here. maybe it would need a bridge too. i also feel that there's not separation on the production between the verse and chorus. i would have started the chorus with full percussion, instead of holding back till later in the chorus.

if you'd like to collab, you can hit me up at: poppypaul@mail.com. i've had a lot of forwards to these high bar listings (superstar, major label/producer etc.), and i'm always on the lookout for new collabs. are you from scotland or ireland by the way? judged by your accent i just wonder.

cheers,
paul, norway

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am

mwb2 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 pm
Hi all,

I'm thinking of polishing up this song (which I wrote for a class) for listing S210422PP, "Current-Sounding Indie Pop". I just bumped the tempo up about 3 BPM so I do need to rerecord the lead vocals but they'll sit basically where these do.

https://soundcloud.com/mwb2/shoulda-done-by-now

Overall - how's the mix? Is the production interesting enough, too busy, too boring? And is the end too abrupt? When it was slower this got me to about 2:45 or so, but now that it's a little faster I could conceivably repeat the 8-bar tag at the end.

Thanks for any opinions and wisdom!

Cheers,
Mike
From the hip...

3 seconds in and you've already taken me out of a " current " vibe by using a very 80's sounding guitar FX....maybe there is something else you can do like some synth plucks or something ? The ones you bring in later

808 is good - Like the vocals

That part around 50s - not sure if everything is stacking up harmonically ...I'd probably solo various parts against each other to see if I can spot the cause of the dissonance

Halfway though , not really that " Pop" for me...doesn't get my feet tapping like the Refs....it's got a more jazzy kinda feel to me than a Pop one

You'll need a clean version

Overall then I like the production - mix vocals - apart from the intro guitar. Think it's well done but it's not the same style of music as the Refs IMHO

Mark

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks for the listens Mark and Paul, lots to work with. Paul, I'll send you an email!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2