INFORMATION!!!

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elischumann
Impressive
Impressive

INFORMATION!!!

Post by elischumann » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi, I really need a lot of information about how to make a deal. I mean, I don’t know the real process of making the deal. If I get forward, and they call me to make the deal, 1. What are they going to ask me for or what should I ask for? 1. Are they going to send me a printed contract about the deal for me to sing? How and when do I get pay? And, any other thing you think I should know. I just want to be “ready” by the time I get a call from someone who wants to make a deal. I really appreciate any information that you could give me!! If you’d like to listen some of my music, just go tohttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=721593

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: INFORMATION!!!

Post by mazz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm going to teach you to fish:There are tons of good books out there on the subject. I think the TAXI site has lots of books listed. Here's a couple to jumpstart your education:http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-Mu....3661241&sr =8-1http://www.amazon.com/Music-Money-Succes....366 1265&sr=1-1http://www.amazon.com/Succeeding-Music-P....3661345&sr=1-46All of the information is the same, it's just in how it's presented. Of course, none of the advice in these books or this post is a substitute for an entertainment lawyer (emphasis on the entertainment part) but if you educate yourself, you'll save a lot of money because you'll ask the right questions.Searching this forum will help you out a lot too.Good luck,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Quote:Hi, I really need a lot of information about how to make a deal. I mean, I don’t know the real process of making the deal. If I get forward, and they call me to make the deal, 1. What are they going to ask me for or what should I ask for? 1. Are they going to send me a printed contract about the deal for me to sing? How and when do I get pay? And, any other thing you think I should know. I just want to be “ready” by the time I get a call from someone who wants to make a deal. I really appreciate any information that you could give me!! If you’d like to listen some of my music, just go tohttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=721593Hi - Mazz gave you some good direction.If I get forward, and they call me to make the deal, what are they going to ask me for or what should I ask for? -- likely you will be contacted via email with details of the deal, or a contract to look at. Each individual deal will be different - however some Taxi listings will tell you exactly what the deal will be should you get accepted. It's then up to you to accept or decline the deal. And do the paperwork. Follow instructions to the letter and be totally professional in everything you do. They will likely ask you to submit one or two CDs with wav files of your piece (if it's a song, they will ask for the instrumental version as well). Assuming it's film/tv, they will also ask you to either provide releases from everyone who worked on the song, or they will ask you to sign to say that you have the releases & are liable for any problems that arise should you not have them.Are they going to send me a printed contract about the deal for me to sign? Yes. They can do nothing with your music without a signed deal from you. They will also ask for your PRS/PRO number (CAE/IPI) - in the States that would be BMI or ASCAP or SESAC. Likely they will send the contract as an attachment you need to print & sign, and mail with the rest of the materials. How and when do I get pay? Depends on the deal. If we're talking film/tv... if the deal is with a music library or music publisher, you will get your share of licencing if & when they place the piece of music... and you will get your share of publishing (if any) and songwriting when the cue sheets are filed & the PRO's remit your royalties to you. From placement to first receipt of royalties... generally 6 to 9 months. So the deal is the first step - they believe in the music enough to pitch it for you... then they work for placements on your behalf.Books I recommend are Jason Blume's "This Business of Songwriting" and John Braheny's "The Craft & the Business of Songwriting". There are also a wealth of articles on Taxi's site, I suggest you start there for general information.HTHcheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

elischumann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by elischumann » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am

HI AND THANK YOU VIKKI! BUT, DO YOU MEAN THAT I DON'T GET A UP FRONT PAYMENT WHEN SIGNING THE CONTRACT?Quote:Quote:Hi, I really need a lot of information about how to make a deal. I mean, I don’t know the real process of making the deal. If I get forward, and they call me to make the deal, 1. What are they going to ask me for or what should I ask for? 1. Are they going to send me a printed contract about the deal for me to sing? How and when do I get pay? And, any other thing you think I should know. I just want to be “ready” by the time I get a call from someone who wants to make a deal. I really appreciate any information that you could give me!! If you’d like to listen some of my music, just go tohttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=721593Hi - Mazz gave you some good direction.If I get forward, and they call me to make the deal, what are they going to ask me for or what should I ask for? -- likely you will be contacted via email with details of the deal, or a contract to look at. Each individual deal will be different - however some Taxi listings will tell you exactly what the deal will be should you get accepted. It's then up to you to accept or decline the deal. And do the paperwork. Follow instructions to the letter and be totally professional in everything you do. They will likely ask you to submit one or two CDs with wav files of your piece (if it's a song, they will ask for the instrumental version as well). Assuming it's film/tv, they will also ask you to either provide releases from everyone who worked on the song, or they will ask you to sign to say that you have the releases & are liable for any problems that arise should you not have them.Are they going to send me a printed contract about the deal for me to sign? Yes. They can do nothing with your music without a signed deal from you. They will also ask for your PRS/PRO number (CAE/IPI) - in the States that would be BMI or ASCAP or SESAC. Likely they will send the contract as an attachment you need to print & sign, and mail with the rest of the materials. How and when do I get pay? Depends on the deal. If we're talking film/tv... if the deal is with a music library or music publisher, you will get your share of licencing if & when they place the piece of music... and you will get your share of publishing (if any) and songwriting when the cue sheets are filed & the PRO's remit your royalties to you. From placement to first receipt of royalties... generally 6 to 9 months. So the deal is the first step - they believe in the music enough to pitch it for you... then they work for placements on your behalf.Books I recommend are Jason Blume's "This Business of Songwriting" and John Braheny's "The Craft & the Business of Songwriting". There are also a wealth of articles on Taxi's site, I suggest you start there for general information.HTHcheersHummin'bird

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:22 am

If it is a deal with a music publisher or music library who will then be pitching your songs to their network, no, you don't get anything up front from them. You will get your share of licencing, according to your agreement, when they make a placement on your behalf. Bear in mind it is to their best interest to make placements for you -- that's how they get paid, too.This is different from licencing a song to an artist, who would then pay you the mechanical licencing rate for the number of CDs to be manufactured.Just because you don't get money up front doesn't make an offer a bad deal. You have to look at all aspects of it. You might make more money with the back end on a deal with nothing up front; whereas a deal with a little up front might pay next to nothing in royalties.The goal is to have a large number of songs & pieces out there working for you and relationships with several music publishers and music libraries. Because when you do get paid, it will be a little here and a little there, over time, through your PRO and the publisher/libraries who handle your music.If any of the above is unclear, someone please step in.HTHHummin'birdPS - I'm not sure why you posted this in "Collaboration Corner" - it should be in General Hangout... just a note for next time.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

elischumann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by elischumann » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:22 pm

HI, mazz!!!The same day you taught me fishing, I went to the bookstore and got All You need to know about the music business”, what a great book!! It explains everything! I really have a lot to learn about the business! I will get the others book you told me about. Thank you!!!! Oh, do you have any idea about books of compositions, musical forms and conducting? Quote:I'm going to teach you to fish:There are tons of good books out there on the subject. I think the TAXI site has lots of books listed. Here's a couple to jumpstart your education:http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-Mu....3661241&sr =8-1http://www.amazon.com/Music-Money-Succes....366 1265&sr=1-1http://www.amazon.com/Succeeding-Music-P....3661345&sr=1-46All of the information is the same, it's just in how it's presented. Of course, none of the advice in these books or this post is a substitute for an entertainment lawyer (emphasis on the entertainment part) but if you educate yourself, you'll save a lot of money because you'll ask the right questions.Searching this forum will help you out a lot too.Good luck,Mazz