with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Input on Electric Guitar input please?

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Fellow Taxians,

I was wondering what the best method for recording an electric on DAW is without an amp? Do you plug right into the audio interface or use a direct box? I don't have an electric to try yet..I am about to purchase one. I used to mic an amp before.
Thank you in advance for your input!

Best,

Linda C

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Input on Electric Guitar input please?

Post by ttully » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Hey Linda,

In lieu of using a mic on an amp, I plug it directly into the audio interface and use amp plugins.

Tim

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Mostly I plug into an amp, and use an amp di (loadbox) into the soundcard, and then use an impulse response in the daw for the cab. That way I can record my tube amps cranked up, yet silent, and get a great sound. I like to have a real amp as front end, but I can live with cab ir's. Sometimes I do mic up a cab in stereo at home, though. The trusted old dynamic and ribbon mic combination is hard to beat.

I do use amp modelling as well, when certain variation is needed, and I just need a mixed down support track in the mix. I do plug into an (active) di box before the soundcard, as it gives a litte "more", if you know what I mean. It's great to have lots of options, so it doesn't sound the same all the time.
Ceo of my own life

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Thank you both! That is great advice..and interesting and educational technique Kolstad..thank you! have you all any favorites for amp modeling plugins?

Linda

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Tunesmith wrote:Hi Thank you both! That is great advice..and interesting and educational technique Kolstad..thank you! have you all any favorites for amp modeling plugins?

Linda
Linda, ch3xk Line6 HELIX NATIVE. I use a HELIX live and got the plugin to use for recording. There are other plugin out there but I’m pretty happy with HELIX NATIVE.

Duane

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:59 pm

mrdtman wrote:
Tunesmith wrote:Hi Thank you both! That is great advice..and interesting and educational technique Kolstad..thank you! have you all any favorites for amp modeling plugins?

Linda
Linda, ch3xk Line6 HELIX NATIVE. I use a HELIX live and got the plugin to use for recording. There are other plugin out there but I’m pretty happy with HELIX NATIVE.

Duane
Thank you! This is all new to me being an analog recorder! Well now to Daw...I guess I should say I was an avid AAR...Analog, audio recorder!! BTW..finest kind!!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 am

I would second Duane’s suggestion on Helix native. That’s what a lot of people use, and with a good foot controller, it can work well in the studio.

Its pricey, though, and there are many other viable options. You should listen to them, demo, and see if you like the tones you can get. They can be quite different, and specializes in different things.

Some to check out;

Scuffham Amps
Waves PRS supermodels
Waves GTR3 (esp for marshall plexi tones)
Amplitube 4 (actually, the free version is great, because you get good sounding IRs for both guitar and bass)

If you look for Fender tones, the expansions in Amplitube is good, so is the Orange and Mesa Boogie things.

Other may chime in with other faves.

Prices are all over the place. You can get 3—4 tube amp heads and a loadbox for the same price as a Helix, Kemper or Axe Fx (which are the top dogs), so modelling is not neccesarily the cheaper route, but for some things more convenient for sure.
Ceo of my own life

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am

I go from the guitar into a mic preamp, get a good unaffected but hot signal there then into my interface and then Amplitube 4. I've used a lot of Amp simulation software but it has definitely become my personal favorite. And it's reasonably priced. I spend a lot of time with the mic placement and mic choices in Amplitube. It really affects the type of tone you ultimately get.

Jon

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi and thank all of you! I have checked out several of these amp plugins etc and am so impressed..unbelievable! and what great work from these programmers! It really is mind blowing to me,

Hard to pick, but Amplitude 4 is getting close to my choice. I'm not a screaming lead person, more like ear candy is what I want to do with the electric.

Can't wait!

Thank you again..I have learned a lot from your suggestions!

Linda

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:05 am

Great Linda, have fun with it!
Ceo of my own life