Insight from A Library Owner

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Insight from A Library Owner

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 am

Paulie wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 pm
There is a LOT of crappy music out there that is being use regularly. Yes, there is a ton of great music as well, but sometimes I find myself cringing at some of the stuff out there.
Unfortunately I was not able to write all of the crappy music out. I am seeking to dominate that market very soon though!

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm

So glad I use real instruments (i.e. no midi was harmed) for 90% of my tracks (it's a genre thing). Even then I've had comments from some submissions that I should get better MIDI sounds :)

I've mentioned many times, one rejection means nothing. Most of those tracks ended up being signed. I can't help it if I play with guys that are rhythm machines and have perfect pitch ;)

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 pm

To sum up his book: write an album of great music and send it to publishers. You will get a deal. Quite a bit of detail is left out on what exactly that means (great music). Other books have been more helpful in that regard.

I’ve heard the same advice in a few other places. Library owners saying of you have 8-12 tracks ready to go you will have takers. My issue is just finding the right library to pitch to, hence taxi. Also what genre for ME to focus on - also taxi.

Dan has a Facebook group, mostly entertainment. There are a few library owners there looking to license if your material is interesting.

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:11 am

Kolstad wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 pm
I like Dan Graham too, but writeups like that looks like the heat from an overworked publisher. The shi* they have to put up with, sure.

It is a responsibility to get things to sound good, yeah, but you know when you are doing music every day, you do some experiements in between, and you get used to like a lot of different things.

Sometimes that turns out bad, and sometimes it works. It's how we roll.
That is exactly one of the main services of TAXI - making a first selection and provide only material that is not torturing the poor library guy ;-)