Instinct...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Instinct...

Post by MBantle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:41 am

Dear All,
I am still a fairly new member. I had Fs and Rs and those tracks I submitted that got forwarded (with one exception) were composed for the listing and I was comfortable with the tracks. Those I thought would "perhaps" fit almost all got rejected. Is that an experience you share as in somehow your gut feeling already tells you whether you are in the ballpark or do you still have surprising "Fs" when composing specifically for a particular listing? In other words, from your experience does it make sense to submit more stuff to a listing even if your gut tells you that some of them are only 70-80% on target? My second question is whether it is generally advisable to compose/submit more than one instrumental for a particular listing? Having watched a lot Taxi TV, it seems successful members were eventually contacted by a publisher and instantly asked whether they got "more"... In other words, does it make more sense to first build a catalogue of e.g. piano instrumentals before submitting one or more as otherwise one could end up in a situation where a publisher asks for "more" and you have to say..."Well that is my first and only track I got on file...".
Please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Instinct...

Post by ttully » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 am

Hi Matt,
Of course... your question has MANY answers.

I usually submit stuff I am pretty sure will get forwarded..... (of course, they are not all forwarded!)
I also usually submit more than 1 track for a listing..... may times more than 4 or 5...
But of course sometimes just 1....it all depends..... some listings are much easier to write for than others.

And NO... you do not need to build a catalog of tracks before submitting.
If you just have 1 track.... give them 1...tell them you can write more if they need them.
Even though I have written thousands of tracks.... I don't have a library of stuff ready to send if someone wants it.
I have tons of ideas and unfinished tracks that I often go back to if a publisher or library asks for stuff... but almost never do I have something ready to go.
Because I don't know EXACTLY what they want!!!

It may take many months before you are contacted...if ever..... or you may be contacted the same day you are forwarded.
I recently had a library contacting me the next day after a forward..... I sent them additional tracks that had been rejected.... They loved those tracks too.

Just keep writing GREAT stuff and soon you WILL have a bunch of tracks to send in if they ask for it.

My 32 cents worth,
Tim

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:37 am

ttully wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 am
Hi Matt,
Of course... your question has MANY answers.

I usually submit stuff I am pretty sure will get forwarded..... (of course, they are not all forwarded!)
I also usually submit more than 1 track for a listing..... may times more than 4 or 5...
But of course sometimes just 1....it all depends..... some listings are much easier to write for than others.

And NO... you do not need to build a catalog of tracks before submitting.
If you just have 1 track.... give them 1...tell them you can write more if they need them.
Even though I have written thousands of tracks.... I don't have a library of stuff ready to send if someone wants it.
I have tons of ideas and unfinished tracks that I often go back to if a publisher or library asks for stuff... but almost never do I have something ready to go.
Because I don't know EXACTLY what they want!!!

It may take many months before you are contacted...if ever..... or you may be contacted the same day you are forwarded.
I recently had a library contacting me the next day after a forward..... I sent them additional tracks that had been rejected.... They loved those tracks too.

Just keep writing GREAT stuff and soon you WILL have a bunch of tracks to send in if they ask for it.

My 32 cents worth,
Tim
Hi Tim!
Many thanks for your message. This is very helpful...I am on it :)
Cheers,
Matt

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:13 pm

I guess the analogy is to imagine a restaurant that brings out food they've already cooked and think maybe you might like it, vs what you actually ordered :o
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com