Instrumental cue, mixing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BryanJNelson

Instrumental cue, mixing

Post by BryanJNelson » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello all!

I'm new to Taxi, well this is my second go around. I had a 1 year subscription a couple of years ago and want to give it a more serious shot this time around (5 year plan)!

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a song, such as with the mix and overall feel of the piece. I submitted it for this listing "EMOTIONALLY UPBEAT POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a fast-growing European Music Library that's building a new catalog and is looking for a bunch of music in this style".

I am also wondering how close to the mark I might be with this piece.

Here is the link. https://soundcloud.com/bryan-nelson-4/endless-time

Thank you so much and I look forward to listening to everyone else's music!

Kind regards,
Bryan

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Instrumental cue, mixing

Post by ttully » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am

Hi Bryan,

There are slight timing issues that make it seem like I am listening to about 4 songs at once..... especially thru headphones.
The parts do not mesh correctly.

Tim

DanWessels
Active
Active

Post by DanWessels » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Hey Bryan! Welcome back to Taxi!

In my understanding, you want the vibe and emotion of an instrumental cue to be crystal clear from the moment you hit play. The backwards piano you start with gave me a much different vibe than the cue sounds like a minute in. (also, the pulse I felt with only the piano was COMPLETELY thrown off once the other instruments enter - a cool effect on a song, but maybe not too jarring for an instrumental cue). Maybe try adding one or more of your other elements to the piano at the top to give a clearer indication of the vibe you're going for right from the get go.

Mix-wise, I'd first go through and tighten up the timing among the various parts, like Tim says. I think your high synth sound that comes in at 0:33 could certainly use some editing, it sounds very noodly right now. Everything sounds a little tinny in the mix to my ears - needs something on the bottom end. The acoustic guitars are well performed, but they sound a little honky - try finding a frequency to cut on with EQ on those so they fit in the mix with your virtual instruments.

Any ways, those are my two cents! I'm in the same boat as you - been a member for a while and haven't done much with it, so I'm really giving it a go in 2020 as well!

BryanJNelson

Post by BryanJNelson » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for the feedback.

With the timing issues, I also noticed them and thought the backwards piano sort have covered up the issues, but maybe it's something that would be better to start from scratch.

As for the acoustic guitar, I was getting a buzzing feedback from it so I turned the mid, low and highs down which could have given it a honky sound. Anyway, thank you both for the feedback!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:37 pm

ttully wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am
There are slight timing issues
I disagree with Tim.....the timing issues are not slight ! I feel like I'm on a ship in stormy sea lurching around.

I'm sorry if this feedback sounds harsh but on this evidence if you can't tell how off it sounds, I would go back to basics and do some ear training on rhythm and timing before trying again.

Mark

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Hey Mark,

I was trying to go easy...but I do have to agree with you.
Something is just way off.....

Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:17 pm

ttully wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:53 pm
I was trying to go easy..
So was I ... 8-)

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:18 am

Hey There,

I think it looses timing the moment that high synth part comes in around 30 seconds. Then it pulls the timing completely off, and affects all other parts.

I do like where the piece is trying to go, but this timing issue does really pull away from it.

A few suggestions from what I hear as a quick listen:

1) That heavy echo on the main piano part is just adding a wall of noise, once the other instruments come in.
- perhaps fine at the intro or end, but remove it when the other instruments come in.

2) The piano and guitar parts are becoming mushy together. Neither are distinct in the mix, and should be eq'd for better separation. Very muddy; perhaps roll some lows of the acoustic guitar?

3) EQ reverb. Reverb naturally makes everything sound darker. EQ the verb to make it sound a bit brighter.

4) Fix that synth @ 30 seconds. If it's designed to be slightly out of time, I would put it in the background (far back) as something more ambient than up front.

Hope that helps!
B

BryanJNelson

Post by BryanJNelson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Thank you for the constructive technique BradGray. That's what I was looking for with this post as a newbie, not snide remarks by cosmicdolphin about re-learning rhythm and ear training.

The synth sound you refer to at 30 seconds was designed to sound that way (a bit off) as it was an effect that I liked and I was experimenting with it sort of jumping around freely. I will probably move it more to the background as it sounds like the consensus is it was too much of a distraction.

I also appreciate your remarks on the mix and will take heed of them.

Thanks again,
Bryan

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Anytime Bryan!

Mixing is a whole other ballgame, beyond sound engineering, and I often get lost in the mix myself. A really great youtube channel is Produce Like A Pro Produce Like A Pro . Directed towards the home studio engineer/mixer/producer by someone who has tracked a number of artists. Just a great resource, and enjoyable series! Also Rick Beato has a great channel as well Rick Beato. Finally, Spectre Sound Studios is a very colorful one Spectre Sound Studios. All are geared at the beginner to intermediate, and are just a good resource beyond books.

Like music itself, engineering and production is a whole other talent and art to learn. That said experiment, post, experiment, post is how we will all get better at it.

Cheers,
Brad