Instrumental Cues - VST Plug Ins

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

djrmusic

Instrumental Cues - VST Plug Ins

Post by djrmusic » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 am

Hello everyone,

For my fellow composers that write instrumental cues, what VST plus ins are you currently using? I have East West Symphonic Orchestra, Vienna Special Edition 1, Keyscape, Trilian, Omnisphere, and Session Horns.

Does anyone have a VST that can't live without? How about a plug in to stay away from.

Thanks!

Dave

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Instrumental Cues - VST Plug Ins

Post by mojobone » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm a huge fan of Addictive Drums; save for a kitpiece here and there, I have every instrument XLN Audio makes, keys included. Wouldn't live without 'em. Native Instruments' Kontakt (full version, not the free Player) is essential. Sooner or later, you're gonna want an instrument that only runs on the full retail version. NI factory set has a lot of hidden gems, but it's uneven; much of the best Kontakt stuff is from 3rd parties, but I particularly like their Session Horns Pro. There are a variety of Komplete bundles that are great if you're just starting.

I don't want to slag any VST instruments; I've tried a few that didn't 'stick', but even some of the cheapest and cheesiest are useful every now and then. The ones I try to avoid are overpriced, IMO and your mileage may vary. I also don't usually go for instruments with lots of loops and phrases, just o principle, but I might for something like sitar.
If you're into bluegrass, americana, oldtime string band or folk, check out Indiginus; they also have a pretty cool pocket orchestra.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

daftdog

Post by daftdog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 am

Guess it depends very much on the genre(s) that you like to focus on..... A good drum VSTi would certainly be on my own 'must have' list if I was starting from scratch.... EZDrummer/Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums or BFD3 would be top of my own list. I'd also buy into NI's Kontakt because there are just so many great Kontakt instruments/libraries out there.... Good luck with putting your toolkit together.... there are so many great options :-)
John Walden
Daft Dog Music

ITBAudio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ITBAudio » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 am

Spitfire Audio plug-ins....fantastic sound, easy to use, pricey yes, but worth every penny imo.

In terms of effects, I've also been a fan of Waves, I'm not sure why but Waves just sound different to everything else, the EQ's & compressors are just beautiful.

If you're looking for something free....try http://vstmuseum.com/grid_vst_Kjaerhus/ The Kjaehus series is a grest ste if free plug-ins, I haven't put these down for years!