Instrumental cues with just two instruments?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Instrumental cues with just two instruments?

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm

We submitted this:

https://www.taxi.com/members/mike_shar/ ... nds-lament

for the listing below and got returned with the following comments:

I like the down tone you've created here... ... but the tremolo running through the piece seems like an odd feature to include. Sticking with the legato string orchestra sounds would be a more solid choice for this listing. Like the references, a simpler approach is typically the strongest way to go. Just piano and a solo string instrument sure works great on that first reference.

Guess we had been so indoctrinated with the idea of creating forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out that we assumed it was necessary here, too. So our question is: Is there a significant market for instrumentals with just two instruments (say piano and violin) where interest and forward momentum are created primarily by variations in melody, dynamics, articulations, etc. -- with the occasional transition with a brief pause of one or both instruments?

-----
SAD STRINGS & PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company with a large list of placements in Films, TV Commercials, and A-List TV Shows.

NOTE: This Company has signed lots of TAXI members over many years and nailed down lots of placements for them!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Reflections" by Toshifumi Hinata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpVEkOUj2ZQ

"Je te laisserai des mots" by Patrick Watson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcdO9UP0hp8

"Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi & Daniel Hope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHsDNV9lgY

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit modern Piano and String Instrumental Cues that could pull at the listeners' heartstrings. Craft your Cues around a singular motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. If you plan on using virtual piano or string instruments, they should sound like the real thing and not dated, stiff, or obviously MIDI-driven. Please be sure that your production is high-quality and current-sounding, as well.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take, and have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Wednesday, December 8th, 2021. TAXI # S211208SD

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Instrumental cues with just two instruments?

Post by jefflaplante » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:52 pm

I have to agree with the screener here. I think the piano and violin sound excellent and a mix with just those would be very pleasing to the ear, and more in line with the reference track as well. That other tremolo instrument seems very distracting at times. Just my two cents. Good news is these listings pop up every so often, so resubmitting in the future is possible. It is a beautiful piece with a lot of potential.

Jeff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:59 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm
So our question is: Is there a significant market for instrumentals with just two instruments (say piano and violin) where interest and forward momentum are created primarily by variations in melody, dynamics, articulations, etc. -- with the occasional transition with a brief pause of one or both instruments?
You're asking the wrong question.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:59 pm

jefflaplante wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:52 pm
I have to agree with the screener here. I think the piano and violin sound excellent and a mix with just those would be very pleasing to the ear, and more in line with the reference track as well. That other tremolo instrument seems very distracting at times. Just my two cents. Good news is these listings pop up every so often, so resubmitting in the future is possible. It is a beautiful piece with a lot of potential.

Jeff
Thanks you, Jeff! We will keep a lookout and resubmit minus tremolo!

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:59 pm
Please elucidate!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 am

irthlingz wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Please elucidate!
How do I make music that is useful to other people.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 am
irthlingz wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Please elucidate!
It's like how you get to Carnegie Hall... Practice... :lol:

This was a tough one to some degree. The first ref track didn't have layering on the strings. Not my area of expertise but it sounds like you needed to layer strings but keep it subtle enough to not be a distraction. The question I like to ask, stepping back from the techo-details, is "Could this do well as wallpaper behind a Film/TV scene?

The good news about a return like this is you learned something from the experience. That's what it's all about.

Best,
:D Casey

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:01 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 am
Wasn't this question really a more specific form of that?

"Is there a significant market for X."

=

"Is X useful to some significant bunch of people?"

??

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:12 am

To answer your question, yes, there is certainly a place for two instrument cues. I think your music was beautiful, the tremolo was indeed distracting used as long as it was in the piece. I wonder what the screener would have said without the tremolo being there. Perhaps a good string pad in place would have provided the contrast you were looking for.

I got a return on that listing as well, not sure I understand the screener's feedback.

https://www.taxi.com/members/EVBsBi_mTq ... d-in-sight

What I like most about this song
Great harmonic choices for this style/tone, and good sounding strings.

I think you could improve this song by
The main issue here is the inconsistent dotted rhythm figure. Adding more interest this way is a solid idea, but the idea here is much more just the overall tone rather than adding in extra musical ideas that don't forward the overall idea as much.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The second iteration of the opening piano figure is the bigger issue here as it feels a bit awkward and out of time, making for a distracting moment, rather than the even emotional tone they're seeking.

I have no idea what the screener is suggesting I change other than perhaps a more metronomic piano performance.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:18 am

Casey H wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 am
Not my area of expertise but it sounds like you needed to layer strings but keep it subtle enough to not be a distraction.
Appreciate your take on it. Thanks, Casey!
Casey H wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 am
The good news about a return like this is you learned something from the experience. That's what it's all about.
big thumbs up!
(see below)