Instrumental Michael Jackson

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Instrumental Michael Jackson

Post by elser » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Hi Everybody, I'm new around here and I just wrote a song for a listing that asked for "Authentic-sounding 1980s-style SOUL/R&B/FUNK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) in the vein of Quincy Jones-like productions (think Michael Jackson)". I could really use some outside perspective if anyone has some time. The song is called 'Q' here's the linkhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=50749&stream=true Thanks, Jon

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Instrumental Michael Jackson

Post by rnrmachine » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Pretty darn good job in my opinion. Almost sounds ripped off HAHA. The scary thing is, I use to love Micheal Jackson when I was growing up. LOLThe "do" vox is a bit strange to me but I never listened to that music without vocals in it so I'd be hard pressed to give a good judgement on that. Don't take it out because I mentioned it.. def wait for others to chime in if anyone does. Personally I think a more "DX-7" generated sound would be better in those places. Especially since you are trying to sound dated.I was so into that era, Micheal Jackson and such that I learned to moon walk, tic and a number of other "lost art" dance moves. I have a number of embaressing photos of myself wearing "The Clothing" ROFL (I even made my own "Beat it Jacket" cause I couldn't afford a real one and a lot of people thought it was soo good that they didn't believe I made it. I even took the zippers out of a snow suit to make a pair of "Parachute Pants" to go with the jacket. HAHA)Anyway, sorry for getting soo off track here...I love the production work, great arrangement, the basslines work. Everything works for me, just the one thing I mentioned bothers me. Great Job!!RobEDIT: If that don't get forwarded for that post it would bother me a lot. Unless they said the "do" vox killed it. Then they would be bothered by it more then I am. Plenty of spots here without that in that makes the song totally usable even if they don't like it.
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:12 am

Very nice job on this. I have mixed feelings on the "do" vocals. Maybe try the chimey sound instead and see if it works better. Your string and horn lines in the first part of the piece are very straight but later on they are more syncopated, which feels much better. I'd fix that as they may not get that far in to the tune. The straight rhythms in the horns and strings give it a MIDI feeling which doesn't fit with the rest of the track.Let us know if you get forwarded or not!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:52 am

Hi Jon,Very nice work on this tune. I agree with what's been said and I'll add a couple more points: everyone is probably right in that the "do" sound seems a bit out of place. When writing an instrumental in a genre that is usually song-based is hard to get away from the thinking that it needs a lead melody to emulate the singing (at least it happens to me a lot) but in most cases that is not necessary. I think your piece sounds good without it, I would actually try to remove those 4 bars all together, everything else on the song is working so well, why bother trying to fix a short line that is not really adding that much to the piece. Just my opinion but I think the other parts of the song are so strong that it will work without this one little piece. Also, if this is for a library, make an ending, don't fade out.Overall, great work, it really has the vibe that the listing is asking for.Antonio

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 am

Good point on the ending Antonio. Most (if not all) libraries want endings. They may edit the piece as a bumper (going to or coming from a commercia) or a promo and fadeouts are never used. Just watch 10 minutes of TV and you'll get the picture!Good work!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 am

yep, lose the "do," sounds. It's an identifiable patch that people may think is too cheesey. What you done with those "do's" is cool tho, maybe just use a different sound for it. Also, the synth pad sounds in the beginning, are too thick & loud to me. But you sure have a handle on the right era! I was also a very big Jackson fan. Lost 25 pounds dancing to that CD, in '78.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Quote:Hi Everybody, I'm new around here and I just wrote a song for a listing that asked for "Authentic-sounding 1980s-style SOUL/R&B/FUNK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) in the vein of Quincy Jones-like productions (think Michael Jackson)". I could really use some outside perspective if anyone has some time. The song is called 'Q' here's the linkhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=50749&stream=true Thanks, JonHey Jon - welcome! Your track is groovy, man I dig the almost 'talking' guitar. It feels to me as though you've got the feel of that era, it's bright & disco-y. I agree the 'do's' might not be a fit. And I agree re the fade-out -- did you notice how many current listings say 'button ending'? Very good job! Good luck with it,cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks to all for the feedback. I agree with the 'do' problem myself. Funny thing is I got the idea from one of the Jackson/Jones songs where they had sampled Jackson's voice and then made a melodic part from it, but it sounded much more organic in that case, it does sound out of place here. Thanks as well for the tip on the fade out. I've already submitted the tune so I think it's to late to edit it for the submission but I definitely will fix it for it's own sake. Jon