Instrumental versions of songs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Miztone

Instrumental versions of songs

Post by Miztone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am

Hi all. I'm new. It's good to be here and I'm ready to get cracking. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on the merits of instrumental versions of songs, originally recorded with full vocals - specifically for Taxi use? I don't yet feel I have enough content, but would have a lot more if I dabbled with removing vocals and creating instrumental tracks from what I already have. I would appreciate any views. Many I can create from my home studio recordings, but some of my best are with another producer and I would need to pay a fee to grab these of course.

Also, as per the suggestion by @Hummingbird - here are some details about me. My name is Graham Mizen. I am a long time musician, performer and songwriter who has, until now, been distracted by the day job. I now have more time to focus on music. I'm a Cubase Pro user for 20 years+, a solo singer/performer, duo and band member. Now about to start performing my own songs with a new band. My musical strengths are my vocal and harmonising talents and (I think) my song writing. I have played rhythm guitar since I was 8. I dabble with bass and mandolin and a few other instruments. Many thanks for reading and good luck fellow members. Graham
Graham Mizen - aka "miztone"
https://www.grahammizen.com/

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Instrumental versions of songs

Post by Ted » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:24 am

Hey Graham,

Are you thinking of removing the vocals from songs and refurbishing them as instrumental tracks and submitting them to instrumental listings? I'd advise against doing that, generally, because if you happen to get an instrumental track signed to an exclusive deal, then there's really nothing you can do with the vocal version of of that song going forward (besides maybe taking the lyrics themselves and writing a totally new musical backing track-- which would be hard. And if you signed a non-exclusive deal, then it could still interfere with your future ability to sign the vocal version of that track to an exclusive deal.

Writing songs with lyrics/vocals is more time consuming and difficult than cranking out instrumental cues--and vocal songs can get a higher monetary return, so I wouldn't cannibalize those.

I think it would be like junking a new car for parts for a beater, in essence.

I'd keep the focus on writing new music to listings as they come-- or maybe even better, keep some kind of voice memos/music memos on your phone or whatever-- when you're sitting at your instrument and you get a musical idea and you record a snippet of it. Half the time when I sit down with a listing, I'll start fresh-- but I've actually had better results combing through my instrumental random ideas files until I find an idea that could be shaped for the current listing.

Cheers,

Ted

Miztone

Re: Instrumental versions of songs

Post by Miztone » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 am

Thanks Ted. I'm so glad I posted this question now. I really appreciate the advice. I'll steer clear of cannibalizing existing vocal tunes and will focus on creating new material. All the best. Graham.
Graham Mizen - aka "miztone"
https://www.grahammizen.com/