with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Instrumentation sound dated

Post by andygabrys » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 am

Hard to say about the sounds because there are wizards who can use dated stuff and make it sound current, but from the listing:

If it doesn't have a banging beat, its not really hip hop. You can hear that much from the samples even though they are ducked under the dialogue.

For bass the current flavor is usually an 808 style.

PGRated

Post by PGRated » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 am

cosmicdolphin wrote: I think 5 days is too long personally. You can only make 4 or 5 cues per month ..I'm trying to make 100 per year which is still not that high compared to some but I'm doing it part time in the evenings so I can live with that.

Mark
That means I'm taking too much time to make music....! Any suggestion on how I can speed up this process?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

[/quote]That means I'm taking too much time to make music....! Any suggestion on how I can speed up this process?[/quote]

Some folks like templates..so they have a DAW template ready to go laid out how they like it for a particular music style. I.e. each VSTi , your sampler , drum machine etc. with your go to plugins already instantiated.

I like to structure the whole track first so I have chords, tempo, A & B sections all in place and arranged in the DAW session... I can do this in about half an hour for a genre I know well enough ..then it's just a case of hanging things off this structure in sections

I tend to use presets but I know I can tweak them and I know which synths I tend like for certain types of sounds.

I don't personally use templates but I know pretty much which plugins I'll go to first for various things..so lead I'll reach for OTT first ..bass I like Waves CLA Bass....2 buss I like my Elysia compressor...these can evolve over time but I tend to gravitate towards the ones I know which speeds things up.

That's my 2c worth...I'm sure some of the other guys have other methods that help them.

Mark

jaymz
Active
Active

Post by jaymz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Seems like the future pop folks are pretty stuck on simple is better when dealing with sound design. Lots of filterable elements and being creative with multi band eq and compressors, not to mention those offset sidechain gates (LFOTool seems to be a favorite of every EDM artist right now). Vocals seem to be sliced, cut and resampled ad nasuem. I hear Nexus, Sylenth, Serum and Spire are the softsynths of choice for all the cool kids.

PGRated

Post by PGRated » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks Mark for mentioning your workflow! That's gonna be helpful in my workflow.

That leads me to another curiosity,,,,
Do you make a template and use it for future project and start from there instead of starting from scratch?

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 am

Templates - absolutely.

But mostly for setting up audio and software instruments routed into sub busses.

So I have lots of drum VIs instantiated, guitar tracks ready (but no amp sims plugged in by default), virtual orchestral stuff routed into sub-mix busses and plugins instantiated and ready to go for the typical stuff. If I don’t use this in a particular song Logic has a one step “delete all unused” command which can remove all this in a heartbeat. This removes a lot of clutter and lightens load on my CPU (i have a 12 core mac pro so its not a big deal really but still...)

The main processing is a variety of aux sends to busses with a variety of reverbs (short med long), tempo synced delays of various beat subdivisions both ping pong and center panned, special fx, distortion, parallel compression for drums, parallel distortion for bass, sidechain trigger for bass from kick, sidechain trigger for waves vocal rider from all instruments, various “go to” keyboard processing LFO fx instantiated but bypassed, typical master chain instantiated but bypassed, and Slate VCC instantiated and running on everything.

This is what I have built up over the years of keeping track of the the things I am always reaching for. Way better than having to do this from scratch on every project.
Last edited by andygabrys on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am

I don’t typically use a project with everything already plugged in as a template unless that track was pointed out to me by my publisher as being “the exact sonic thing they are looking for” and then I will use that as a basis and still usually change a few things for every new piece.
Last edited by andygabrys on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm

PGRated wrote:Thanks Mark for mentioning your workflow! That's gonna be helpful in my workflow.

That leads me to another curiosity,,,,
Do you make a template and use it for future project and start from there instead of starting from scratch?
I've tried but it doesn't see to work for me. So I start each track with a blank DAW project

But I know my stuff well enough now that I probably have the 'template' hardwired into my memory . And it's honestly a 3 min job to call up the stuff I want.

Keyboard shortcuts are a big workflow enhancer I find

PGRated

Post by PGRated » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks! Well I don't have templates, instead, I open the previous project and work from there if required.
But I usually work from scratch.

BTW, Andy's info on workflow is a guideline on how to or what to create in a template. I think its useful for every one of us.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 am

PGRated wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote: I think 5 days is too long personally. You can only make 4 or 5 cues per month ..I'm trying to make 100 per year which is still not that high compared to some but I'm doing it part time in the evenings so I can live with that.

Mark
That means I'm taking too much time to make music....! Any suggestion on how I can speed up this process?

Matt Hirt told me, 'focus on speed and the quality will catch up'. Slaving over mix details is wholly appropriate for a three-minute pop vocal, but for instrumental tracks/cues, it's about volume.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone