Interest from publisher, re-titling trax for library?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thekeizer

Interest from publisher, re-titling trax for library?

Post by thekeizer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi, I've got some interest from a publisher in Nashville. I once met him in person where he gave a talk at a Songwriter's Guild meeting, so I tend to think he's a pro.
But he's talking about re-titling tracks and registering with my PRO. One of the tracks is already registered because it was on my last released album.
He said this, "They add AA after the title and register with your P.R.O."
So I thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any experience with this scenario.
Many thanks!

Will K

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Interest from publisher, re-titling trax for library?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:29 am

Pretty standard for a non-ex deal

There needs to a new registration to enable the publisher to collect their publishing split. Adding a prefix or suffix is a common way to do this and also makes it easily identifiable on cue sheets and PRO statements.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:33 am

+1, what cosmicdolphin said. Congrats! :mrgreen:

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:27 am

Happens all the time.

~~Matt

thekeizer

Post by thekeizer » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:19 am

Thanks so much for the feedback. So this independent publisher is talking about getting it with a sync library. Should I press, and ask what library he might be working with?

Thanks again, everyone.

Will K

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:06 am

thekeizer wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:19 am
Thanks so much for the feedback. So this independent publisher is talking about getting it with a sync library. Should I press, and ask what library he might be working with?

Thanks again, everyone.

Will K
Yes. And make sure you find out what the splits would be. Typically both libraries and publishers want 50% of everything. So is this publisher splitting 50% with the library (e.g. 25/25 and 50 for you)? How did you get this interest? Do you know much as to how legit this publisher is? Typically you can sign with libraries yourself and don't need a 3rd party publisher. Something smells a bit off here.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:05 am

Yeah, wait a sec..... huh??? There's a 3rd party involved who is putting this in another person's library? Casey's right, this is now starting to smell like one stinky dead mackarel.

Definitely find out what this 3rd party wants out of it. This is why deals made outside of Taxi are so suspect.... be careful.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:23 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:05 am
this is now starting to smell like one stinky dead mackerel.
Now THAT'S a songwriter!! #Simile #Imagery

thekeizer

Post by thekeizer » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:50 pm

I really appreciate your help, gents!

Casey, about 12 or so years ago, he gave a short evening class on publishing at the Songwriter's Guild in Nashville. I was a member at the time.
After that, I mostly stopped pursuing the notion of pitching music to artists and focused on recording as an indie artist, and life happened, etc.
A couple months ago I demoed a christian song that I would like to pitch for other artists. I remembered him and found his email and reached out to him.

This is his side of our email conversation.

"…these days I’m concentrating on music placement companies movies/tv/commercials, music libraries non-exclusive re-titling and direct licensing to malls, restaurants bars …send me three or four songs with wave vocal masters/wave inst no vocals and lyrics and I’ll get back to you."

"The songs must be broadcast ready and mixed for performing…yes I’ll need vocal master and inst bed no vocal with lyrics and your P.R.O. affiliation and IPI/CAE#...send the Christian song and 4 of your best guitar instrumentals…"

"Zombie Gun and Give Chase.
Are these available to add to a non-exclusive synch library…They add AA after the title and register with your P.R.O.  If yes I’ll need your P.R.O. affiliation and IPI/CAE #"

"No the fact one is registered makes no difference…This is a non-exclusive sync library they add AA at the end of your title and register it as a new title Zombie Gun AA…your original title stays in effect and you own the master/publishing/writing 100% You will also be paid all of your writers performance from Zombie Gun AA " 

"Still waiting for your ok I’ll need your p.r.o ipi/cae#"

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:12 am

Hmmmm well maybe this guy is taking a portion of the publishing side as a sort of "finders fee". Sounds like you'd still get 100% of writers, unless I'm mistaken (you'd probably better clarify with him, unless it doesn't really matter to you).

He's being a bit cagey by not telling you the name of the library he wants to add these to, but I suppose he might just be protecting his own self-interest. If he told you the name, you might run to them yourself, and he'd lose out on whatever percentage he's going to get. So, I can forgive him for this.

Well, it's non-exclusive, so you don't have much to lose. The only thing you really lose is your ability to ever pitch this on an exclusive basis. If you're cool with that, it's probably worth rolling the dice.

~~Matt