Introduction

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

geofferic
Active
Active

Introduction

Post by geofferic » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie round here and looking forward to getting more involved.
If I may introduce myself.
My name is Phil. My main instrument is bass, I also play guitar, and have been playing semi-pro since my first paid gig in 1977 when I was 17 (you do the maths -yes 'maths' :-), I'm from Yorkshire/UK). The bands I've been in were mainly classic rock covers with some occasional original songs. Now, I'm at an age where I can't be bothered with playing live gigs. I do love playing live but I hate the other 80% of getting there, humping gear, waiting, stripping down, humping gear and driving home. TAXI seems like the perfect opportunity to carry on doing what I love without all the stuff I don't like.
I have already decided I will be joining TAXI proper but before I do I have a couple of concerns niggling in my mind.

1. How many members are based in the UK (or other non US) and being successful in terms of receiving payment from their PRO (PRS I assume)? Money isn't my main motivation but a goal is for this endeavour to pay for itself between 2 to 5 years.

2. Should I submit even though I know what I have could be better? For example I could submit something and get a response something like "the strings don't sound authentic". Well I could have told you that myself. On the other hand that comment may not come back. In which case I'd be wasting my time/money improving them. Is this just part of the learning process? I'm still feeling I'm not quite good enough yet but just can't decide when to jump.
Is it better to let the screeners review my stuff (and/or peer-to-peer) even though I know there's more could be done? When do you decide something is worth submitting, or do you take a punt and let the screeners call it?

I think I know the answer to my second niggle - bite the bullet and learn from mistakes.

Anyways, It's great to be here.

Phil.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Introduction

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 am

Hi Phil,
I'm a Yorkshireman too so lets talk straight ;) .
A big part of being with Taxi is the education you get from creating and submitting tracks. If its a new venture, it can be quite difficult to judge whether your music is 'good enough', but tracks that get through Taxi screening have been judged by folk who understand the business as well as understanding the genre/music type, and also the brief set by the client.Therefore, forwards are good indicators that you're getting things right (although they don't guarantee anything further will happen as a consequence). Therefore, you can keep throwing $5 at every track you think might have a chance. You'll get some feedback, and although it can be minimal in some cases it might be valuable in setting you straight. However, If you already know your string samples (for example) aren't good enough then why pay $5 to be told that - and you probably will be :) (unless that's what the listing asked for). There's little point in repeatedly sending anything less than your best efforts to meet every aspect of the listing if you're serious about getting your music out there. You'll get returns anyway - we all do - but when you think you've done everything, those returns are the ones you really learn from.

I hope that helps Phil, and we soon see you in the 'Forwards' section.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.