We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

"Investigative Underscore" - mix?

Post by mwb2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi all,

Working this up to submit for the June 19 deadline for Investigative Underscore cues:

https://soundcloud.com/mwb2/investigati ... wYDtRwvJYm

How's the mix and overall arrangement? In particular I'm wondering if the clicks of the Kalimba get too monotonous - I try to EQ them back a bit but then I lose presence so I'm not sure how to handle.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Investigative Underscore" - mix?

Post by Zaychi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:21 pm

It seems to be mostly a problem in the first half, after that there's a lot of other stuff going on and they blend into the background. Overall I think they're OK; but maybe you could leave them out for a few bars in the first half?

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:15 pm

Thanks for the listen - yeah, maybe I just automate a severe EQ cut for the parts where it's more exposed, and then ease off as more layers come in.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi Mike,
Where is the listing to find out what exactly they're looking for?
That would be helpful!....Susan

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Hi Susan,

Whoops! It's Dispatch listing # D210619UN

INVESTIGATIVE UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Exampleshttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/svactmpnmhb7 ... 59vJa?dl=0

SUBMISSION TIPS from the Library: "We’re looking for texture-based, very background-friendly cues. Mood-wise, we'd like to hear music on the pensive to neutral side with mostly organic instrumentation, but some synth sounds as supportive elements are fine. Make sure there are options for editors by having different sections (ie: build-ups, accent sections, dynamic section... etc). Avoid any (prominent) leads or anything that's too distracting; rather, use catchy little motifs/phrases that are embedded in the chord progression/arrangement."

Please send top-notch Instrumental Cues with polished production and solid arrangements. Craft your Cues around one motif and mood, and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics. Instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. Please be sure that any and all virtual instruments you use are super high-quality and modern.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2

michal
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by michal » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Mike,

I think this sounds great! I don't mind the clicks of the kalimba at all. To my ears, they're adding to the tense feel.

I also submitted to this listing, so I'm familiar with the references. I think you nailed it!

Michal
Michal Sinka
Guitarist | Producer
----------------
www.michalsinka.com
www.linkedin.com/in/michalsinka

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks for the listen, Michal! I did end up filtering the clicks a bit before the final mix, which is probably what you heard. I was still worried about them so I'm glad they didn't intrude for you!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2