Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Is a SHURE SM58 okay?

Post by subinthompson » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 am

CTWF wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

What I don't understand is why the ASIO would make my USB mikrophone work better? I never had any issue with it skipping or so. The issue is the level and sonic situation of my recording, not anything electronic as far as I can see.

Now, the fact that my DAW crashes all the time if I don't split projects in thirds, that I very well see as related to the soundcard... :o :)
The external sound card is definitely gonna help you. Here's another reason. ASIO driver directs sound directly to the sound card which helps in reducing latency and CPU usage. This is an excerpt from wikipedia:

ASIO bypasses the normal audio path from a user application through layers of intermediary Windows operating system software so that an application connects directly to the sound card hardware. Each layer that is bypassed means a reduction in latency (the delay between an application sending audio information and it being reproduced by the sound card, or input signals from the sound card being available to the application)

Hope that helps.
Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sun May 31, 2020 12:16 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am

Makes sense! One thing I had wondered was if I could use my Yamaha Keyboard, since it is ASIO driven, to run my SM58 through. But that does not seem to be possible. Anyway, the ID4 should arive soon. :)

Tom
In that case, the Yamaha keyboard wouldn't be working as an interface, it'd only be transmitting MIDI over the USB cable and not audio. Well, now you don't need it anymore :D. Be sure to use proper XLR cables rather than XLR- jack which you would have been using with the keyboard.

Subin

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:04 pm
TheElement wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:29 am
just tested out the sm58 with my terrible singing. The mic sounds great. can definitely make it work for vocals. ended up writing a little motif with it. Great for getting ideas down fast and recording vocals. I have a foam pop filter on it. no pops at all.
Yeah, I should have gotten one with my last order. Although, I have not had any real problems with pops before. Maybe a sign we were not close enough to the mic? :)

Tom
yeah with these mics they its best closer to get a more full vocal with more bottom. more fullness.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun May 31, 2020 1:40 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 pm
TheElement wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm
yeah with these mics they its best closer to get a more full vocal with more bottom. more fullness.
Just PMed you regarding it. After seeing one for $40, I am kind of tempted to look for old foam in the basement! :lol:

Tom
lol sent you what I am using. It really works well. I got 2 of them.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:35 am

GBall wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm
Two things for what ever it is worth: - I''m not sure the boxy sound is a proximity effect but a room sound. I have the sound of my wife's office or other small room, especially if its of the near cube dimensions that a lot of small bedrooms are in my mind as I say that. (9x10 or something). Proximity effect I would describe as sounding more bassy that boxy. It could be exactly what you say, but If its room sound then a better condenser could actually sound worse...

Secondly to reply to the Asio / sound card question: Built in sound card have filters to cut off both low and high frequencies. Think ear buds in its frequency response - no matter the quality of your headphones or monitors. Because you can't hear them, its very easy to mix a song with shrill highs that would make the paint peel, or bass that the most die hard fan with a thumper in the trunk can't stand. Or... no bass or highs at all, because you know, you have no way of knowing.

Okay, I'm leaving now so you can talk bad about me.
I'll second this and slightly disagree with some others, on a couple of points. Proximity effect is a separate issue from 'boxiness', though they're somewhat interrelated and either can exacerbate the other. All microphones with a directional polar pattern display proximity effect to some degree, which is down to the particular model; the SM58 has a fairly wide pattern, such that two or three singers can share one mic, if the preamp has enough juice. You don't see this in a live setting, these days, because mics and channels are cheaper than they once were and concerns about feedback are ever-present at a live show. Another point of consideration is that the tighter a mic's polar pattern, the more information is picked up from the rear of the capsule, so a reflection filter can indeed be useful in conjunction with a handheld, front-address mic like the SM57-58, SM7; the caveat is that it may be difficult to get the capsule deep enough into the filter's radius to do much good. They make some reflection filters with a hole to poke the mic 'handle' through, for this reason.

Your Audient ID4 is an excellent choice and a huge upgrade from your device's built-in sound, which is rife with compromises, to say as little as possible. In my experience, upgrades of this potency will lead naturally to upgrades elsewhere in the recording chain, cuz when you're able to really hear what's going on in your room, you'll want to deal with its limitations, and small rooms have big limitations, because it's very difficult to get away from reflections that can bugger everything.

The good news is that while you may be unable to do much about anomalies in the bass and mid-bass frequencies, you can do a lot to tame highs and mids, and particularly, reflections from nearby walls, floors and ceilings. Some ingenuity may be required. For instance, I have a portable partial booth made from a room divider and some thick blankets, positioned in front of a sliding closet door that can be opened behind the singer, providing additional absorption; the mic, stand and reflection filter go in the crotch of the "V" formed by the blanketed room divider; it's ugly, but it's working.

Lastly, I can't recommend the Audio-Technica AT2020 enough; like the SM57, it's a great starter mic that you'll never stop using.

PS, here's some stuff I've written on microphone and preamp types and building a mic collection. tube-mics-preamps-who-needs-em-t140510.html
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone