Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Lane1777

Re: is "hell" considered profanity?

Post by Lane1777 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:48 am
Interesting topic ...

It might depend on your target audience. I would guess in our "western" world ... North America, Europe, etc ... probably not a big deal. But in some other parts of the world it may be more taboo.

Jim
I agree with that.

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am

Agreed with Jim on the target audience, which I guess you can't know right now. Casey's suggestion on "clean mix available" is really smart. Maybe you can make two versions, one safe, one with helluvah.

But to your original question: American evangelical upbringing here, and my in-laws absolutely consider it a swear word.

Depending on the other lyrical context, you could do "I'm one HEY of a ride" and then it's a bit of a cheesy play on words. Would probably work better in country than in rock. Because this is the music business, just a note that I offer that suggestion free of any ownership or credit :lol: On my way to make a tee shirt for the rally that says "Will suggest lyrics in exchange for cookies."

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Interesting word-study thread.
IMHO - "profanity" tends to refer more to provocative, suggestive, or aggravated speech - with an intent to be either shocking or offensive...
for the purpose of grabbing the listeners' attention.
"hell" as an expression, or "Hell" as a destination - could be used with such a wide variety of 'intention' - from comical to horror. :lol: :? :twisted:
Like others have written - 'context' is key. Thus - being careful about its use for a submit for Screener review is also an important consideration.

What emotion or mood are you trying to create using that word?
Is it the only choice you have to express or emphasize the message?
Is it only in there because it happens to rhyme?
Is it the most 'artistic' choice in your lexicon?

Not 'profane' in and of itself. But it's a word that can certainly be used if the intent is provoke someone or someone's feelings.
The thing about using profanity or vulgar language is that it's easy to do... maybe too easy - and doesn't require much creativity;
therefore it tends to get way over-used... and, ultimately - just plain boring.

3 more pennies from my seat in The Peanut Gallery.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:40 pm
There is a major TAXI-friendly music library which considers "hell" an "explicit" word. They have a list of such words and they request "clean" versions where those words are muted.

Tom
Yup. I recently singed a song called "To Hell And Back" with them and that is exactly what was required. It was no big deal at all and a great library.
:D Casey

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:57 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 pm
erynmichel wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am
But to your original question: American evangelical upbringing here, and my in-laws absolutely consider it a swear word.
My wife is from Indiana which is why Jim's assessment made me wonder a little - I'd be careful with the h-word in the Bible Belt. ;)

Then, there are people out there who even discourage the use of the word "hell-o". :lol: :roll:

Tom
LOL I see your point, yes the definition of acceptable changes from person to person, and apparently from library to library.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Wizardz

Post by Wizardz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:35 pm

I just got through writing a song with a line of " like hell on a rampant trek ". And the title has 2 versions,
" Damn I want off this ride " and " Dang I want off this ride ". So who knows, which title would get picked up but I have offered my original one and a cleaned up one.
Merlin Sharp

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 am

I think «hell» is just a religious reference, and not profanity in itself. To be profane, it needs to be used in a non respectful way (about religion), if we follow the normal definitions of the word. So a line like «to hell and back» wouldn’t be, because that’s just used metaphorically for a bad place (and not in a religious context, yet still with an indirect religious word reference).

So I don’t think just using the word «hell» would automatically deem it profane, no. It depends on how it is used.
Ceo of my own life

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:40 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 am
I think «hell» is just a religious reference, and not profanity in itself. To be profane, it needs to be used in a non respectful way (about religion), if we follow the normal definitions of the word. So a line like «to hell and back» wouldn’t be, because that’s just used metaphorically for a bad place (and not in a religious context, yet still with an indirect religious word reference).

So I don’t think just using the word «hell» would automatically deem it profane, no. It depends on how it is used.
It doesn't get analyzed like this. Thinking too much here! Libraries and sups deal with lyric sheets and what their clients reactions might be. Libraries have to be able to pitch to a very wide array of clients. Songs are not always played in full to get context! At the minimum, you need a "clean" version, with the a substitute word or the word blanked out. I have a song "To Hell And Back" in that Taxi friendly "critical" library. "Hell" is on their profane word list. They had me provide a "clean" mix with the word blanked out.

I'm not saying don't use the word. Just don't make assumptions based on your "analysis". If you are going to pitch it to a library directly, ask them about it. If it's for a listing, put "Clean mix available" in the comments or up top the lyrics.

:twisted: :lol: Casey

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Yeah well, fwiw, I believe religious references is far more risky to do in popular music than any profanity. :lol:
Ceo of my own life