Is it time to give up on TAXI

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is it time to give up on TAXI

Post by AlCompose » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 am

So after many years of being signed up with Taxi.com and forwards, I still haven’t been able to get any of my tracks signed I’m just at a point now where I’m asking myself what am I doing wrong
And is there any point sending in track after track to get nothing in return… I would really love if some of you guys who have had tracks sign could have a listen to some of my tracks and maybe tell me where I might be going wrong

Cheers Al

https://soundcloud.com/alan-shelley

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is it time to give up on TAXI

Post by SteveJCurtis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Al.
Frankly I am surprised you haven't had anything signed yet. Your music sounds great to me.
I only had a quick listen but the production/content and musicianship level you display with your songs sounds very high indeed.
I can only assume that it's the old "horses for courses" syndrome and the right track hasn't connected with the corresponding listing/screener/music supe?
There's a lot of folks on here who would love to have the skill level you demonstrate.
I can only leave it to others more successful and well versed in the styles you work in to chime in and hopefully shed more light on the subject.
In the meantime, you have my respect.
Best/SJC

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Steve, Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it... You Just start to think its never gonna happen, and you're not up to scratch for this type of work... But I think there's only so long you can bang your head off the wall before you have to just stop... or find a new wall Lol.. Al

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 am

Hi again Al.
I have been scratching my head on this one and have a question for you:

On your track "Me and Mary Jane" there's an acoustic guitar at the start, then fiddle and banjo come in.
They are very convincing and well played, but is there a chance they are midi instruments?

If they are, and you have submitted the song for a listing, it could be that the screener has also questioned whether they are midi instruments; they are pretty hot on that score and do tend to prefer the real thing when it comes to earthy, acoustic instruments.

It's just a thought and please forgive me if I am wrong about the instrumentation. I don't wish to offend anyone - in fact if they are real, my congrats to the players.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 am

Hi Al,

I'm guessing you are going for library listings, and aren't wondering why Lady Gaga hasn't phoned you...
I just had a quick listen to your music. Your production skill are definitely right up there. Congrats! That's the years of hard work already behind you.
One thing I noticed with all of your tracks I listened to is, while they sounds cool, they didn't really make me feel anything. It kinda sounds like your trying to get the genre right, rather than focus on the emotion.
Radio songs are supposed to sound cool, compelling, and many other things. Production music is only supposed to do one thing; convey an action or an emotion (driving, chase, sadness, ecstatic). I'd try and focus on that.

KR,
Steve

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 am

What is your goal? Film/TV music libraries? Publishers for artists to cut your songs? (The latter has incredibly tiny odds no matter how you get the songs out there).

If you are getting forwards, you obviously are doing the right things. Taxi screeners are tough (in a good way) and only forward what is a good fit for the listing.

My personal feeling is $199/year is well worth it to stay in the game. You can go months or years with no callbacks from forwards and then all of a sudden you get some. I went years without a contact after dozens of forwards then all of a sudden an excellent library contacted me. Now we have a great relationship and I send additional songs to them all the time. It's more about the new relationship with the client that what happens with any one song.

But first, tell us your goals if you can.

Best,
:D Casey

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:01 am

Casey H wrote:What is your goal? Film/TV music libraries? Publishers for artists to cut your songs? (The latter has incredibly tiny odds no matter how you get the songs out there).

If you are getting forwards, you obviously are doing the right things. Taxi screeners are tough (in a good way) and only forward what is a good fit for the listing.

My personal feeling is $199/year is well worth it to stay in the game. You can go months or years with no callbacks from forwards and then all of a sudden you get some. I went years without a contact after dozens of forwards then all of a sudden an excellent library contacted me. Now we have a great relationship and I send additional songs to them all the time. It's more about the new relationship with the client that what happens with any one song.

But first, tell us your goals if you can.

Best,
Hi Casey thanks for the reply.. I mostly do Tv/Film underscore type Instrumental cues, Al

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 am

Then my vote would be to just keep at it. $199/year renewal such a small price for the opportunities, not to mention the road rally.

Good luck!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am

Good stuff! Work hard to get your music out there.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am

DesireInspires wrote:Good stuff! Work hard to get your music out there.
Are you a Taxi member, DesireInspires? If not, I don't think you should comment here. JMHO. :D
Last edited by Casey H on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.