is taxi a joke

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dp

is taxi a joke

Post by dp » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:01 am

OK I have been debating on joing taxi for sometime and i'm read to take my music to the next level. My question is Taxi real or a joke how many have really made it? how many jobs, vs forwards and overall cost, how many are with taxi because it is worth it , or the only real option , or just dont no anything else . I know thngs take time but who has in 6 months or a year with the service is doing it big? I know thes question and comment are very open but just give me good feed back before i join the good, the bad and the ugly.......

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: is taxi a joke

Post by gitarrero » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 am

aaaehm... sorry I think your poll is not really usefull.I thought about it intensively before I joined (about two months ago), I talked to several people who used to be member or are currently member, and my personal conclusion is:The service taxi's offering is a TOOL. And unfortunately there are no guarantees like "join taxi and within 3 month you've got at least one deal" - I think some people imagine that everythings gonna be easey if they just joined taxi - wrong. Nobody said it's easy to "make it" in the music industrie, but taxi is offering a service which can help.In my experience Taxi is doing what they say they do: * listen and critique your submissions* forward them if they think your submission is on targetbasicly (besides a good customer service, the road rally, this board), that's it. Once forwarded, taxi is out of the game - it's up on the starter of the request/listing (meaning someone in the music industry) to get in contact with you - or not.The advantage is that your stuff is landing on some desktops of people who are looking for that kind of stuff. As always, many things can happen which you simply can't control - the request-starter might change his/her mind about what they are looking for, need a year to go through all the demos, etc. But that's just the same if you where submitting your stuff directly to the industry - with the diffrence that it's unsolliced material and probably go directly to the trash...just some examples to whom I talked:* current member who does a living on it. His first deal through taxi took about 2 years.* ex-member who is a hobby musician. My personal opinion: his music is just not on the level of the listings he was submitting to* lot's of examples and discussions here on the board ("why hasn't my track been forwarded..", screener shootouts, etc)think about it, be enough self-critical with you music and you should have a problem to make your decision if taxi is the right tool for you.cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:43 am

I just wanted to add that even if you never get a placement through Taxi, the feedback alone is worth it. I haven't always agreed or taken all of the advice, but that which I have has helped tremendously. Sometimes even just the feedback that you're on the right track, if you're not necessarily ready-for-market, can boost your confidence to try even harder and dig even deeper. Like Martin said, it is a tool. If you think you're ready to learn from it, then go for it.

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:41 am

Ask the question another way.... if you didnt join Taxi, how else would you stand more than a snowflake in hells chance ?

longrider
Active
Active

Post by longrider » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:29 am

Howdy all Like you db, I have been debating on joining. I guess the question is how hard should I work on my music if I do join? I am a Composer / Arranger, Musician, Songwriter. I do all the music myself but it take a little time to come up with a song sence I have to do all the tracks. I have added some of the songs to GarageBand.com and got some good reviews. Even made Track of the Day on one of my songs. But it has just been a hobby to me here in the past. I love to create music and was wandering about how many songs should someone have on supply when they join? God Bless

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 am

Quote:I guess the question is how hard should I work on my music if I do join? I love to create music and was wandering about how many songs should someone have on supply when they join?Hi,I think the answer to how hard you should work on your music is that a lot of Taxi members are pretty serious about their music and/or music career. It may or may not be a majority of the members but there's enough total members so that if only 30% are really serious that's still a lot of musicians that are thinking like that and they'll be your competition.Taxi is a conduit to some fairly high-end opportunities, things like having your music on network television, etc. If you were submitting music directly to a show like CSI or something, you'd expect that you'd have to be at the top of your game so submitting music to those kinds of opportunities through Taxi still means the same thing.Now, having said that, I can easily see a scenerio where a talented musician can get some deals here and there through Taxi (and outside of Taxi) even though their music isn't the entire focus of their life. Still, that person would have to be able to produce broadcase quality tracks. For me, the critiques were extremely valuable for helping me understand what "broadcast quality tracks" really means.As far as the number of songs you need, I started with Taxi in 2004 after a long time away from music. I really didn't have anything when I joined Taxi. What I did was to pick listings that I thought I could do and I made little labels describing the listing and put them on my calender and mentally treated each listing like a real project. I wound up with a calender where I had maybe close to ten new "projects" (tracks for the listings) to do each month. It gave me a sense of purpose and a series of deadlines rather than blindly writing music. Also, I started to experiment in genres that I hadn't done before and at the same time I dropped a particular genre that I had previously thought I'd do well with. I found out a lot about myself musically and ultimately I found a direction that I could focus on that I was happy with.Good luck with your stuff and I hope you continue to hang around the forum. There's a lot of fun nonsense but also a lot of good information from a wide variety of experienced musicians.Dave

lsp
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by lsp » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:58 am

Dave,I have only been with taxi about 6 weeks. I am using a calendar and white board to put upcoming opportunities in a time frame and always in view. The advantage, like you said, is having deadlines and keeping a sense of urgency to create and complete projects. this weekend should see 2 projects completed and submitted. Monday we will review listings and get to work on at least 2 more upcoming opportunities.Oh yeah, the original point....where else are you going to get opportunities to compete on high end projects if you don't join Taxi. I signed on for 2 years upfront to give myself a real chance to work and grow by walkin' the walk....

longrider
Active
Active

Post by longrider » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Howdy all Thanks you Dave for taking the time to give me some realy good heart felt advice. I realy like what you said about picking out the listings and mentally treating each listing like a real project. In the light of looking at it that way, I can see myself creating my music more as a purpose instead of a hobby. Also feel that it would cause me to work that much harder on my music. Maybe joining Taxi would be a great way to create some realy great music, not just for the cause to make it big or even to get sign, but to expan on somthing I realy love to do.Thanks again Dave God Bless

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:26 am

TAXI is not a joke BUT it may not be for everyone. It should be part of a marketing arsenal that you use to get your songs into the hands of the right people. It can help you in that respect as well as the critiques and so forth. This can be invaluable if you're just starting out.Though I've personally made the decision not to join TAXI, probably ever, I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking a serious and hard look at becoming a member. It can be a great tool in your road to success.God bless.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound