Is that a Top 40 Hip Hop Instrumental ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is that a Top 40 Hip Hop Instrumental ?

Post by MathieuF » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:57 pm

So I'm trying this top 40 Hip Hop Instrumental listing. Here's one track I kinda finished today :

Is that top 40 worthy ? I based myself on G-Eazy's instrumental in the references.

Lots of TOP 40-Style RAP/HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTALS and/or Cues are needed by a brand new Music Library started by a successful Editor for Major TV shows! He needs a TON of material for his new company, and he's using TAXI as a primary resource to find it!

They need a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: The first reference may contain graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

“Godzilla ” by Eminem ft. Juice WRLD

“Wow (Instrumental)” by Post Malone

“Still Be Friends (Instrumental) ” by G Eazy ft. Tory Lanez & Tyga

Although one of the references has a vocal performance, please submit Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please send polished Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumentals (and/or Cues) that are modern-sounding and on par with the references above. Your submissions should be rhythmically and melodically engaging, with speaker-knocking drums, catchy melodies, and cool-sounding ear candy throughout. Please avoid submitting anything that’s too Trap-leaning or dark for this request.

TAXI Tip: Any virtual instruments you use need to be current-sounding and of high quality. No dated productions or arrangements, please!

All submissions should be about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, and roughly 90 seconds to 2 minutes for Cues, give or take. Non-Faded endings will work best. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Also, do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast quality is needed.
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

jeremysAudio

Re: Is that a Top 40 Hip Hop Instrumental ?

Post by jeremysAudio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am

This is awesome Mathieu! I think you nailed the mood just right. Trappy but not too dark, just like the listing described.

One thing I've gotten a lot of returns on in the past is not having a clear lead line. I would listen to the instrumental version and then create in that style and put it in a cue format. The issue was that on the original song the vocal was the lead and in the cue world I needed to have instrumentation to replace that. The intro and some of the breakdowns for me are kind of having that issue in "That Easy". I think the breakdowns still need a star to hold the spotlight. Like at 1:02, it's a breakdown but it features that cool ass synth rhythm. Also, for me, the track begins at :14.

I know this listing has come and gone already but we've got to sign like 1000 of these to have a career right :) so I hope the feedback helps on future submissions.

You've got skills bro!

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 am

jeremysAudio wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
This is awesome Mathieu! I think you nailed the mood just right. Trappy but not too dark, just like the listing described.

One thing I've gotten a lot of returns on in the past is not having a clear lead line. I would listen to the instrumental version and then create in that style and put it in a cue format. The issue was that on the original song the vocal was the lead and in the cue world I needed to have instrumentation to replace that. The intro and some of the breakdowns for me are kind of having that issue in "That Easy". I think the breakdowns still need a star to hold the spotlight. Like at 1:02, it's a breakdown but it features that cool ass synth rhythm. Also, for me, the track begins at :14.

I know this listing has come and gone already but we've got to sign like 1000 of these to have a career right :) so I hope the feedback helps on future submissions.

You've got skills bro!
in
thanks ! I did submit that song (not that same version though) and even another one :) I hope for the best ! Thanks for your comments ! I was also thinking about adding a lead line to replace the vocals but I didn't know what kind of sound to use and I got scared to use anything that would sound goofy or outdated...
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

jeremysAudio

Post by jeremysAudio » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Good luck my man! I submitted as well. Let's cross our fingers and hope we end up as library mates!