iS THIS DEAL EXCLUSIVE OR NOT?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

iS THIS DEAL EXCLUSIVE OR NOT?

Post by pepeluis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:31 am

Hi Folks,
saw a Taxi listing (Y180805FL) described below:
FUN, CHART-WORTHY LATIN POP SONGS with Male Vocals are needed by a Major Record Label for a Multi-Grammy-Winning SUPERSTAR who’s working on a new album. They’re looking for super catchy, high-energy Songs that could be found on the same playlists along with artists like these references our client gave to us:

I have a song that i would like to submit which has already got me loads of placements via a great non-exclusive library.

In the above listing there is no mention of it's exclusive or non-ex status. I am unsure how it would affect my agreement with the existing library if the song gets picked up by the Record Label.
does anyone have any experience of this situation? is it best to not submit to the listing to avoid any conflict?
any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!
many thanks
José http://www.joseleonmusic.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: iS THIS DEAL EXCLUSIVE OR NOT?

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:59 am

If the music library your song is signed with is non-exclusive, you CAN submit. The non-exclusive library uses a re-title for the registration, so it would be a different "song" as far as PRO royalties.

That being said, there is another issue: GENERALLY, artists prefer to record songs for which they are the first use. So, should they express interest, you should disclose that the song is being pitched by a Film/TV music library and whether or not there have been placements. Surprises are generally not appreciated. It may or may not be a deal breaker for them.

Keep in mind that the odds of landing this artist cut (Major Record Label for a Multi-Grammy-Winning SUPERSTAR) are infinitesimally small. The good news is if you submit and it's an "S" listing, you'll get a full critique of the song (whether forward or return) and see where it stacks up against a high bar opportunity like this.

Best,
:D Casey

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: iS THIS DEAL EXCLUSIVE OR NOT?

Post by pepeluis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 am

Hi Casey,
Thank you so much for your reply. Your advice is really helpful as I have never had this kind of opportunity before.
Your guidance to fully disclose previous usages makes sense in order to avoid any potential conflicts.
Most of the previous placements are as background music in various scenes, there was a more 'up front' usage where a well known action hero actor was dancing to it with an attractive lady in a club but that was just a pilot not the final film.
As you say, chances of landing a cut like this are slim but thanks to Taxi we can access this type of listing.
all the very best
Jose