We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: HOUSE REGGAETON: Corazon de La Palma

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 am

Hi Tom,

I think the string sound that comes in for the first time around 1:23 has a more cinematic sound and doesn't really match the other instruments or belong in the track...just going with what I felt and heard right away.

Cool track.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:53 pm

I think you are chasing ideas. Nothing wrong with that BTW, just know you are doing it. It's not at all regaton, at all. Kick is way too loud, snare should be in your face. I'm not sure what genre it is, but I would stop, just stop. It is what it is, and I do think it's a cool track. Just don't make it something it isn't to fit a listing or genre etc.

Just to give you an idea of what a regaton track that was picked up by Taxi/publisher, here you go. Listen to the drums. ALL latin music is based on rhythm, first and foremost. Whether it is salsa, bolero, danzon, pop, or timba.

https://www.taxi.com/members/AfZ6AWI8SN ... -estrelles

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:28 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:58 pm
Okay, it broke my heart, but after my wife also agreed with André, I have now mostly replaced the French Horns with the Spitfire LABS Wurli, but the horns are still lurking back in there... :)

I hope it sounds a little less epic/cinematic and more in line with the rest of the track, while still working sonically as the climax of the track. :)

NEW version: https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/corazon-de- ... cS0s4ij2Q0
Okay I don't feel bad since your wife agreed too...lol :D .....now it is much better.

Good luck

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:32 pm
Objective: Create a danceable, emotional earworm with house and reggaeton elements.
Thanks for sending this to me Tom...Hmmmmm not sure you have entirely succeeded here. I don't really know the genre that well although I did look into it over a year ago when I supplied a track to a Library Album that was meant for a travel type show that was based around Mexico

A little snippet of the brief from the music supe: ( don't think I'm allowed to share the whole thing )

" ...we’d like to incorporate a decent amount of Latin sounds from a traditional reggaeton piece (Maluma, J Balvin, Piso 21) all the way to a contemporary pop reggaetón (Luis Fonsi, Ozuna, Danny Ocean) piece and everything in between. We’d like an array of styles ranging from Electronic dance pieces that have some Latin and reggaeton flavor and upbeat with some big Latin drums . We’d also like to incorporate dance styles similar to ref tracks 1 & 3 that are in line with up and coming dance and electronic styles. "

So although I didn't go for the Reggaeton , I did try to do a Latin / Pop / EDM type mash up . I imagined it as a street party - or something you might hear on an advert for Taco sauce....this was the track I came up with after doing lots of research. They did accept it but it's not been placed as far as I know. I even broke out the acoustic guitar for the intro which is rare !

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/el ... lSNfTvQo03

So with that as the total sum of my experience in this genre ....on to yours.
CTWF wrote:
Does it work?
It sounds like a sad melancholy cue so in terms of danceable I'd say no
CTWF wrote:
Mix?
Kick too loud
CTWF wrote:
Anything sound dated?
Most of it sounds dated to me. The piano sound is very stiff and not an interesting sound..not latin vibe to it a...just very midi like

Kick drum isn't the type of sound I'd have chosen, some of the longer moog like synths sound out of context. There is nothing in the arrangement that screams Latin to me. The whole thing is fairly repetitive too.

Sorry Tom - Just doesn't work for me.
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am

nice track...this is far more like what I would expect

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:57 am

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 am
To me the Latin flavor comes from the shaker-like use of the high hats and the rhythm of the claps/snare. But I am not versed in Latin music, therefore my questions! It is not Latin, but what is it? Not exactly a typical house track either.
It's not enough to clue the listener into what it's supposed to be. The whole production has to reflect Latin if that's what you are aiming for. For research Google - Tressillo.

Don't make a random tracks and then ask " What is this genre "...because chances are if YOU don't know, then the Library owners sure ain't gonna know either and it won't be useful to them. In sync licensing your music is there to solve a problem for somebody else . Not to satisfy your muse by inventing new and unlicensable genres. Leave that for the likes of JWP.

Do the work, do the research, listen to current playlists ( i.e like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8eatq8lSI ) ...load a few of them into your DAW session...then make your track.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:57 am
CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 am
To me the Latin flavor comes from the shaker-like use of the high hats and the rhythm of the claps/snare. But I am not versed in Latin music, therefore my questions! It is not Latin, but what is it? Not exactly a typical house track either.
It's not enough to clue the listener into what it's supposed to be. The whole production has to reflect Latin if that's what you are aiming for. For research Google - Tressillo.

Don't make a random tracks and then ask " What is this genre "...because chances are if YOU don't know, then the Library owners sure ain't gonna know either and it won't be useful to them. In sync licensing your music is there to solve a problem for somebody else . Not to satisfy your muse by inventing new and unlicensable genres. Leave that for the likes of JWP.

Do the work, do the research, listen to current playlists ( i.e like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8eatq8lSI ) ...load a few of them into your DAW session...then make your track.
Yep, and I think it's an easy trap to fall into. Creating a track you think is cool, and is, but you have no idea what genre it is :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:13 am

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:57 am

I am absolutely happy to listen to anyone's super-cool genius tracks.
More likely to be trash folder fodder

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:30 am

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:18 am
Okay, to sum it up: I have produced a non-classifyable, genre-less, "prolly" track that I might dare to call

"Electronica/Microhouse with essentially unnoticable traces of a Latin rhythm"

that has a too loud (but otherwise lame) kick and is too sad to dance to. On top of that, the bass makes some people's ears bleed, one of the lead synths sounds out of place, and the rest dated.

Did I miss anything?

Yes: A few people called it "cool"!

THREAD CLOSED!?? :lol:

Tom
Now you nailed it :mrgreen:

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 am

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:18 am

On top of that, the bass makes some people's ears bleed
Well if you're talking about me there: I said "base" (not "bass") which is an old-fashioned word for "kick" as well.

So minus one since already mentioned, you're on the right track! ;)