Is this listing VAGUE or what?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Is this listing VAGUE or what?

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

mazz wrote:Well I do underscore but I'm not well versed in pop music. Any pop I do on my own would be inauthentic, just like my "hip hop" feeble attempts!. :mrgreen:

Good luck to those who submit!!
You just need to take a 10 day crash course in pop music, Mazz. :D

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 pm

I'll pass too. Don't have time to learn new genres by next Wed.

markmeilander
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markmeilander » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:02 am

Curiouser and curiouser.

I have to think that somewhere along the line we're not all on the same page with the many possible definitions of "Pop" or even "Classical".

I'm having a very hard time believing that this listing wants us to submit a convincing Mozart mockup along with a Ke$ha soundalike.

Mark
"There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in"
- Leonard Cohen

Model 77 Productions

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 am

Actually I don't think you're too far off base Mark. Except as Phil mentioned its not Mozart, it's film score.

Another case of non musicians trying to communicate to musicians. It's up to the musicians to figure it out.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Salty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Salty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 am

Phil-
are you the one I spoke to when I called in?

I thought this was a cool opportunity, but also was extremely confused as to what was wanted;
The question for me is what will the screener be looking for- b/c as we are seeing there are lots of interpretations of what things can be coming out.
I personally thought of a pop orchstral piece 'ala Kazam' John Williams- the reading it again, could be much more actual pop music with some strings...

Glad I saw the discussion though;

Salty

TAXIstaff
Impressive
Impressive

Post by TAXIstaff » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 am

Now MAZZ, let's not be mean... many of us are indeed musicians...
What's interesting, is that this has become quite the popular listing. Lots of folks are wanting to be a composer for a production company. I think some are over thinking this. It's an audition. If you can write in these two disciplines, by all means, submit! If you only write Classical(or orchestration for film), or solely Pop, then this listing may not be for you.

The production company needs composers who can cover a wide variety of music. Someone who can compose for orchestral film with classical style, AND someone who can write with a Pop sensibility. Show your stuff!

Salty,
No, it was a colleague of mine you spoke with. Feel free to call us though!

Best to all,
Phil

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 pm

PhilG wrote:Now MAZZ, let's not be mean... many of us are indeed musicians...
What's interesting, is that this has become quite the popular listing. Lots of folks are wanting to be a composer for a production company. I think some are over thinking this. It's an audition. If you can write in these two disciplines, by all means, submit! If you only write Classical(or orchestration for film), or solely Pop, then this listing may not be for you.

The production company needs composers who can cover a wide variety of music. Someone who can compose for orchestral film with classical style, AND someone who can write with a Pop sensibility. Show your stuff!

Salty,
No, it was a colleague of mine you spoke with. Feel free to call us though!

Best to all,
Phil
Hey Phil,

Sorry my post may have come off mean, I wasn't trying to slam anyone, just trying to point out how often briefs written by non musicians are vague when read from a musician's point of view. I very much appreciate your continuing efforts to clarify the listing and I also have the utmost respect for you as a musician and a person. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here!

I'm sure this is a popular listing and I hope there are a lot of folks out there that can cover both styles well. In being honest with myself, I don't think I'm one of them and I'd be throwing my money away by submitting. Maybe I'm over thinking what the "pop sensibility" term means. To me it means "current pop sounds and production", and I'm peripherally aware of that but not currently steeped in it!

Thanks a ton!

Mazz

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

Salty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Salty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Actually Im kinda thinkin along the same lines as Mazz here-
Partly b/c I think we 'MIGHT' (please emphasize, MIGHT) have a dichotomy between what the screener will be looking for and what the end procuct might be looking for- and Im sure its tough writing some of these based on the info- so no blame- just need more clarification if at all possible.
Im also not steeped in Pop music, but Im sure if they want me to add strings to a pop tune chances are high that I could write some lines that sound quite good- Id bet others who have done some orchestral work would feel like they are in the same boat;
however, if they are gonna be listening for my submissions to be 'Pop music' then I think we will both be disappointed.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:24 pm

After giving it some more thought: I have several pieces in the catalog that contain various "hybrid" elements along with orchestral, like electronica and some rock/metal elements. I may just submit a couple of those along with some more "cinematic" things and see where the chips may fall.

Salty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Salty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:28 pm

...and actually this brings up a point which I made to Michael a few months back-

There are times when it would be incredibly helpful to have some sort of a pre-listen from someone over there-
both b/c you might get less things that are off-track and because that way we have some clue as to weather we are on the right track.
Times like now, because clearly the community here is not as clear as to what will actually end up working as some of the more straight forward stuff. :mrgreen: