Is this offer a scam?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Is this offer a scam?

Post by slimcharm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:07 am

We wrote to a guy we read about on one of the band sites and directed him to Jessica's songs. He wrote us back and said he loved her voice and her look. He wants to manage her for 15% .BUT before he does that he wants her to get a new demo..He named a person who he said works for Disney and said "X charges the artist $6.000 six thousand per song. We need 10 to 12 songs. At that fee, He pays all recording cost as well as mastering, He flys in to New York, Miami, La Cali, where ever the closest Studio is to you. He also brings in the top writers to write for Jessica's songs, as well as heve them to co-write with her. He also sets her up with Disney to be in a production with them. He does not jump in and record 12 songs in a week. this takes months. He works with her Vocal to bring out the best and even brings in vocal experts to work with her.This fee sets the artist up with everything in the industry they need.I understand that that maybe a great deal of money but the artist can make that back and a lot more the first year touring. If thats too many songs 4-5 will work"He went on to say....How do I pick my Artist? Lee I listen to them sing. If I htink they have something the industry is looking for I offer to work with them. The labels let us know what they want. With your Daughters looks and Voice, we already know she would be very marketable to the industry."Now we are NOT going to do this..but I am wondering if this is how its done or if this is not on the level?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Is this offer a scam?

Post by hummingbird » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:58 am

Hi - you are very wise Lee. Anyone legitmately representing your daughter would get paid by a percentage of the fees you get for her performances. Asking you for anything beyond that is the sign of a shark. Unfortunately, there is a mammoth amount of this going on, and you gotta have the eyes of a hawk. Okay, he'll manage her for $60,000 is basically what he is saying. Even assuming the offer is legit, what he's asking you to do is pay for the production of Jessica's album.I'm no expert, but I do know that major labels look for young artists who have an image, an attitude, great vocals, the ability to dance, and possibility songwriting chops. IF they were interested in Jessica, THEY would spend the $60,000 on an album, and then send Jessica out on tour to make money for them.I'd run away fast.By the way, never ever sign anything without having the contract vetted by an experienced entertainment lawyer.cheersHummin'birdPS - If I were you I'd pick up this bookEverything You'd Better Know About the Record Industry http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 046439it's crucial you understand the biz if you are going to manage Jessica's interests.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:35 am

Really Vikki I would like to help Jessica find a good manager not manage her myself. But meantime...its quite the learning experience.I was not about to hook up with the guy listed..but when he said she would need a new demo I could understand that so thats why I wondered who actually pays for the demo if a company picks up Jessica?I was under the impression the company did and then recouped their money from her sales. Any demo we produce would just be to get a company interest.After reading his message..I started to wonder if we would be expected to pay for a demo that he (an A&R) person would shop in ADVANCE?We are not doing it..but I am still unclear..who pays what?I will look into that book ..I have tons of books on the music biz but not that one.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:37 am

BTW we have not sent her demo anywhere ..waited to hear what TAXI said. And the reviews were great. Regardless she is going to start on a new demo that is "tighter" very soon.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:10 am

Hi Lee, I meant "manage" in terms of being the person who is going to make the decisions - at least for now. In a very real sense, you are managing her career at the moment. And, even if you get a manager, I would still advise you & Jessica to be part of the decision-making process. I'm also cynical enough to say that, if I was in that situation, I would be adament that only I would sign cheques, LOL.As I said, this fellow not asking you to pay for a demo. He's asking you to produce & master 10 to 12 songs - that's a record, an album. A demo should be two to three kickass songs - maybe two uptempo and a ballad - that show off Jessica's range, vocal ability, performance ability. You're working on that already.As I said, IF Jessica was picked up by a label THEY would pay for the recording/mastering of her album, and then expect her to market it for them by touring. You would not pay anything up front. But you will get these kinds of offers on a routine basis - just like those emails from Nigera.You might find this thread informative:http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/Forum ... ~~~~~~from Taxi's helpful website:"Do I need a manager?Managers become necessary once you've got a record deal and you need an advocate to represent your interests at the different departments of a record company. They help to coordinate efforts and get maximum results at radio, retail, and publicity. Many labels will want an artist to have a high-powered manager before a record is released and will often recommend top managers.Managers can also help in shopping you for a record deal, but only if they have the connections to get your music to the right people. It's not impossible, but friends, family members, or acquaintances with no music industry experience usually aren't going to be able to get through locked industry doors, and will probably be in over their heads even if they can get through.Good managers help the artist assemble a competent team of professionals to handle various aspects of the artist's career, including an attorney, a business manager (for financial affairs), a booking agent (for live performances), a merchandising company (for t-shirt sales, etc.) and more. Experience counts for a lot when it comes to choosing a manager.At what point should I get a manager?Most of the manager's duties and responsibilities come into play once an artist is generating income - especially through a record company association, but also for active local and regional artists who are touring and selling product on their own. Therefore, many people think it isn't really necessary to have a manager until there is an income-producing career to 'manage'.One exception is the manager who can help you obtain a record deal. The right manager for this task can be hard to find, and must be carefully chosen. You don't want to get tied up in complicated legal contracts with inexperienced managers who will need to be replaced once a record deal comes along.What are some key points in a management contract?Most managers will take between 10% and 20% of an artist's gross income - including record royalties, publishing income, and touring and merchandising income. There will sometimes be a "sunset clause" i.e. a declining scale of payments due to the manager over a few years should you decide to fire or part ways with him (or her).These are negotiable points, and many nuances and technicalities are involved. You should always have an experienced music business attorney (not your uncle Bob, the divorce attorney) review any management contract."there are more articles:http://www.taxi.com/faq/mgmnt/index.html#q1Lastly, I would ask this fellow to provide the names of artist he has and is currently managing, industry references, website address, etc. Anyone legitimate would provide that info.hope that helpscheersVikki
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:15 am

You know I think he did want to produce a full CD and then he would promote it. I took a look at his other artists CD's and sites and so that does appear to be the case.So he could very well be legit in what he is attempting to do..that is just not how we want to go about it.Thanks again Vikki!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:37 am

Lee,I have no idea about who this guy is or if he has any legitimate standing in the industry, but I can tell you that what he's proposing is unethical.Everybody who's been involved in the music business for even a year knows that 3 KICK-ASS songs is all you need to get a record company's attention...if they're not interested at that point, 9 more songs are not gonna change their minds.Everybody also knows that you don't have to spent $ 6k/song for a professional quality demo.As far as who pays for what: Whenever you are signed to a development deal, production deal, artist deal by a publisher, production company or record company, THEY will pay for the demos/masters/records, whatever they decide to produce.The only time YOU pay is when you are not signed to any of the above and are making demos to attract the aforementioned companies' attention.This person operates in a gray area of sorts by calling himself a "manager"...but he wants you to spend $60k (or at least $25k) as a prerequisite to taking Jessica on as a client.That's the unethical part.matto

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:27 am

I originally contacted him after reading about him on a music site. His site did appear to be legit and I contacted him regarding the possiblity of managing Jessica. Then he wrote and told me it was thousands to produce songs (and the producer was a well known person). And after the production was done he took 15% from bookings etc. I looked at his artist roster and it appears they make full blown CD's.So I think he was skipping the record company step and trying to promote them himself. However that is not something we are interested in. I just wondered if it was legit.At this time Jessica is working on adding to her roster of songs and making a tighter demo and when its ready we will want to send it out to reputable managers ...Do you have suggestions as to where to locate one?

yod
Active
Active

Post by yod » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:30 pm

who is the producer that this guy wants to use?If you hired one of the more respected producers, it might cost you that much to produce an album...and there is a good chance the producer would help you place it if you spent that much with him.Does this producer have a RECENT hit?

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:34 am

That is a good question. He named a number of artists the producer worked with and I was familiar with them.Regardless that is not the route we want to go financially at this time.I read Donald Passmans book and he suggests getting a manager..so I assumed we needed to get her a manager with the intent of shopping her to the labels.So thats really what we were looking for. So how does one find that type of manager. I am not asking for a name..just where to look.