Is this typical after a forward?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SeanieRanz

Is this typical after a forward?

Post by SeanieRanz » Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 am

So I got contacted by a company, after a forward, who's name I won't share on here..instead of being interested in working out a contract for a placement, they want me to basically register my music to their platform where anyone who is interested in licensing music can find my music on their website (as well as many other artist) and use it. In other words, they don't plan on trying to get my songs placed anywhere but are allowing my songs to be uploaded on their site for others to use

I'm rather new to Taxi so I'm not sure if this type of follow up is typical.

Also, another thing that stood out to me is that I didn't need to have a PRO to receive royalties if a placement were to occur. They said they pay artist via PayPal

I'm hesitant to submit any material and sign anything until I hear from others first.

Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is this typical after a forward?

Post by eeoo » Sat May 01, 2021 11:53 am

It's not uncommon to upload tracks to library catalogs yourself. You'll often be asked to provide metadata and composer splits and all of your PRO info as well. They will pitch your track when opportunities arise but they can't pitch it if they don't have it.

As far as royalties - for performance royalties you will need to be a member of a PRO. For money that is paid to the library upfront, such as licensing/sync fees, they will pay you directly.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 01, 2021 12:31 pm

SeanieRanz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 am
Does not sound like a " proper " Library deal to me - Sounds more like a Royalty Free type platform ?

I remember getting an "offer" via Taxi from a company called A********x which really annoyed me because it's just an RF type site that anyone can join for free and upload their tracks ..so why was I paying Taxi for the privilege ?

I hope this is not a similar type of scenario for you - I already had an account with A********x and 30 tracks have made $50 in 5 years...waste of time.

Mark

SeanieRanz

Post by SeanieRanz » Sat May 01, 2021 1:12 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:31 pm
SeanieRanz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 am
Does not sound like a " proper " Library deal to me - Sounds more like a Royalty Free type platform ?

I remember getting an "offer" via Taxi from a company called A********x which really annoyed me because it's just an RF type site that anyone can join for free and upload their tracks ..so why was I paying Taxi for the privilege ?

I hope this is not a similar type of scenario for you - I already had an account with A********x and 30 tracks have made $50 in 5 years...waste of time.

Mark
Yes it is a Royalty Free Type platform. They do say I wouldn't have to pay to have my music uploaded on their platform however, so that's good

Guess it's probably not worth it then

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 01, 2021 1:50 pm

SeanieRanz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:12 pm
They do say I wouldn't have to pay to have my music uploaded on their platform however, so that's good
Lol , how very noble of them.
SeanieRanz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:12 pm
Guess it's probably not worth it then
That's up to you and where you see your music fitting - If you want to get into TV show & Movies then an RF platform that doesn't even require the uploader to be a PRO member is unlikely to be where Music Supes are looking.

These type of sites are often selling micro-licences to content creators for their Youtube videos etc. Or more often now they sell subscriptions where people can pay small monthly fee to download as much music as they want.

Personally I think it's bordering on a scam that Taxi charges members to submit to these so called " opportunities " that are just RF websites that can be signed up to free of charge by any Tom , Dick or Harry. It totally undermines a lot of the good work they do to help people open doors that may otherwise remain closed.

I would urge you to do your research , look at what types of customers they are aiming the site at and what their model is and make an informed decision on what you find out.

Mark

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sat May 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Aha, yeah that's a different story. I don't have any experience with RF libraries, doesn't seem worth it to me. To be fair there are some good libraries that Taxi lists with that also accept online submissions. But I think with those listings they are reaching out to Taxi for specific opportunities.

SeanieRanz

Post by SeanieRanz » Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm

eeoo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:45 pm
Aha, yeah that's a different story. I don't have any experience with RF libraries, doesn't seem worth it to me. To be fair there are some good libraries that Taxi lists with that also accept online submissions. But I think with those listings they are reaching out to Taxi for specific opportunities.
Yea I knew it sounded a bit unorthodox. I'll do some more digging into it but I appreciate you guys feedback

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 am

One thing I would do is call Taxi and see if you can talk to them (often ML will talk to you) about the company and why they felt it was a reasonable listing to run. I'm going on pretty much no info here other than it's an RF platform. If you don't agree that this is the type of company Taxi should list for, let Taxi know your feelings about it. They need to hear it from members. But at least get the whole story from Taxi first.

As far as RF, it's neither good nor bad, it's a different market. Everything depends on your type of music, your goals, diversification, etc. That is separate from whether or not you think Taxi should list for RF libraries. It's general info. I know folks who make decent money with RF, or at least they did till the space got so crowded in recent years.

Right now I make around $100-$150 a quarter from an RF library that specializes in in-store background music as well as other markets. Nice extra spending money.

Not defending or condemning this listing. Just saying at least talk to Taxi.

Best of luck,
:D Casey

SeanieRanz

Post by SeanieRanz » Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 am
One thing I would do is call Taxi and see if you can talk to them (often ML will talk to you) about the company and why they felt it was a reasonable listing to run. I'm going on pretty much no info here other than it's an RF platform. If you don't agree that this is the type of company Taxi should list for, let Taxi know your feelings about it. They need to hear it from members. But at least get the whole story from Taxi first.

As far as RF, it's neither good nor bad, it's a different market. Everything depends on your type of music, your goals, diversification, etc. That is separate from whether or not you think Taxi should list for RF libraries. It's general info. I know folks who make decent money with RF, or at least they did till the space got so crowded in recent years.

Right now I make around $100-$150 a quarter from an RF library that specializes in in-store background music as well as other markets. Nice extra spending money.

Not defending or condemning this listing. Just saying at least talk to Taxi.

Best of luck,
:D Casey
Yup, I do plan on calling Taxi tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback Casey!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm out of the country at the moment, but have alerted Tom, our head of A&R. Please email him at Tom(at)TAXI(dot)com, and give him your name, the company name, etc., and he will get to the bottom of this. We've had a couple of cases over the years where a new listing company gives us all the info to check them out, but they don't mention that they ALSO have a royalty free site. When they got forwards, they contacted some members about working with the royalty free library we had not been informed about.

This could be one of those situations. Tom will figure it out while I enjoy my vacation :lol:

Best,
Michael