Is transposing up a step towards the end of a song considered "dated" ?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is transposing up a step towards the end of a song considered "dated" ?

Post by Unstar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:44 am

I was working on an indie kind of jam and I felt the instinct to transpose up a step on a repeat chorus or something along those lines and then I started to wonder if that whole thing was dated. I don't think I hear that in "modern music" anymore ... not even country. It seems to have gone the way of the dreaded fadeout.

Thoughts?
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is transposing up a step towards the end of a song considered "dated" ?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 am

It's over. I did it in one of my earliest Taxi submissions a few years ago.. the screener said it was unusual but I got a forward and a deal with the Library...my first one. That's probably the exception that proves the rule.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:10 am

Regardless of dated, which I think it is, when you write for Film/TV music you should never do this, you should always finish the song in the key it started. The reason is music editors like the freedom to slice and dice your track to fit the scene. They might take some from the front and then jump to the end. If they aren't in the same key, this doesn't work.

I've had placements whereby the beginning of the track was used and then the sting out ending was "slid over" to finish the scene. It's not uncommon.

:D Casey

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Unstar,

I very often go up a step or half step in many instruments...given the right genre....usually not hip hop..
But i always end back on the root note!!!!!
In other words....if you go up..come back down...in case they want too loop it.

My 2 cents worth,
Tim

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:32 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:It's over. I did it in one of my earliest Taxi submissions a few years ago.. the screener said it was unusual but I got a forward and a deal with the Library...my first one. That's probably the exception that proves the rule.
That's a damn compelling exception though :) But I agree, my instinct is that essentially ending the song in a different key is probably a dated and not a good idea. So no Living On A Prayer style ending !

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am

Casey H wrote:Regardless of dated, which I think it is, when you write for Film/TV music you should never do this, you should always finish the song in the key it started. The reason is music editors like the freedom to slice and dice your track to fit the scene. They might take some from the front and then jump to the end. If they aren't in the same key, this doesn't work.

I've had placements whereby the beginning of the track was used and then the sting out ending was "slid over" to finish the scene. It's not uncommon.

Yes, this does make the most sense from a cue writing perspective. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am

ttully wrote:Hi Unstar,

I very often go up a step or half step in many instruments...given the right genre....usually not hip hop..
But i always end back on the root note!!!!!
In other words....if you go up..come back down...in case they want too loop it.

My 2 cents worth,
Tim
I agree. Good advise for a noob like me. Thanks!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:00 am

Maybe, but do what feels good.

Trends come and go so fast. So don’t go overboard trying to keep up with everything. Make what you like and have it available for opportunities. Any retro style will eventually come back into vogue at some point.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 pm

DesireInspires wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:00 am

Trends come and go so fast. So don’t go overboard trying to keep up with everything. Make what you like and have it available for opportunities. Any retro style will eventually come back into vogue at some point.
While it's true that styles come and go and sometimes it's best to do what feels good, it's also important to keep in mind what probably will always be a constant for Film/TV music. If you end a track in a different key than it started you will limit the opportunities for that track. Even if it gets in a library, you run the risk that a music sup won't be able to edit it into a scene and he/she will simply move on to another track.

Does this mean you would NEVER get a placement if you transposed? No. But in our business we need to maximize probabilities wherever and whenever we can. It's hard enough out there. :geek:

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 pm
DesireInspires wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:00 am

While it's true that styles come and go and sometimes it's best to do what feels good, it's also important to keep in mind what probably will always be a constant for Film/TV music. If you end a track in a different key than it started you will limit the opportunities for that track. Even if it gets in a library, you run the risk that a music sup won't be able to edit it into a scene and he/she will simply move on to another track.

Does this mean you would NEVER get a placement if you transposed? No. But in our business we need to maximize probabilities wherever and whenever we can. It's hard enough out there. :geek:

Well yeah, just make edits.

One version all in the same key and another version with the transposed key. Or even better, provide the stems. That way the music can be edited in many different ways.