ISO Chillhop feedback

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

careymoore615
Active
Active

ISO Chillhop feedback

Post by careymoore615 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:21 pm

here's a link to a track i wrote for this listing whose due date is in about a week.
would really appreciate any feedback, particularly if it's too chill, too lofi, too this or that or, conversely, not enough of something.

https://soundcloud.com/careymoore615/wh ... s-may-come

here's the listing:
(thanks in advance for any and all opinions.)

Lots of CHILLHOP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

This Company is searching for Down-to-Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Dizzy Blue" by Clap Cotton & Loop Schrauber

"North Fell" by Delayde

"Between Spaces" by blnkspc_

Please submit top-notch Chillhop Instrumentals with an overall laidback vibe and sound. Your submissions should have relaxed beats, vibey guitars and/or synths, and tranquil motifs. Your production should be competitive with the references and feature cutting-edge virtual instruments and samples. This Company is looking for the type of music high-schoolers and college students might listen to while they're studying or chilling out after a rough day of watching TikToks ;-)

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Re: ISO Chillhop feedback

Post by jessecarrigan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 pm

Hey Carey, I definitely think this is chill and I think the instruments could work for this. The biggest thing I don't hear is enough of a rhythm bed to support the rest of the track. Even though the drums aren't typically very active in lo-fi and chillhop, they are still a major part of the track. This sounds the most like the Delayde track, but listen to that one again and notice what the kick and snare are doing. There are also a lot of light percussion elements that are probably some kind of foley loop. If you have a Splice account, look for lo-fi loops to give you some ideas of things you can use. Also notice the bass in that track. I would bring your bass up and maybe add some sub-bass underneath. You can also side chain the kick to make it stand out more, that's a pretty typical thing in the lo-fi world. There are a couple of synth sounds that sound a little bit too artificial, perhaps. You want your sounds to feel organic even when they're electronic in this genre.

I think it's close, take a look at a couple of those things and it should help the track get closer to the references. Good luck and hope that helps.

careymoore615
Active
Active

Re: ISO Chillhop feedback

Post by careymoore615 » Sun May 02, 2021 1:51 pm

jessecarrigan wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 pm
Hey Carey, I definitely think this is chill and I think the instruments could work for this. The biggest thing I don't hear is enough of a rhythm bed to support the rest of the track. Even though the drums aren't typically very active in lo-fi and chillhop, they are still a major part of the track. This sounds the most like the Delayde track, but listen to that one again and notice what the kick and snare are doing. There are also a lot of light percussion elements that are probably some kind of foley loop. If you have a Splice account, look for lo-fi loops to give you some ideas of things you can use. Also notice the bass in that track. I would bring your bass up and maybe add some sub-bass underneath. You can also side chain the kick to make it stand out more, that's a pretty typical thing in the lo-fi world. There are a couple of synth sounds that sound a little bit too artificial, perhaps. You want your sounds to feel organic even when they're electronic in this genre.

I think it's close, take a look at a couple of those things and it should help the track get closer to the references. Good luck and hope that helps.
thanks, jesse. good advice and much appreciated.