ISRC and Metadata in submissions

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

ISRC and Metadata in submissions

Post by kregdurant » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:48 pm

I assume we should be adding the ISRC into the metadata yes? What other things do you put in your meta data, and in what field? I've started putting contact in the comment section, just curious what else.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: ISRC and Metadata in submissions

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:59 pm

It's best not to post something in 2 places on the forum. :D

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:59 pm
I didn't even realize i did it lol

buuuut,,,,,, while you're here. If a song doesn't have an ISRC code, how are you registering that song in your PRO?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm
Casey H wrote:

buuuut,,,,,, while you're here. If a song doesn't have an ISRC code, how are you registering that song in your PRO?
There's no relationship between ISRC codes and PRO registration. You do not need one to register a song with a PRO. At least not in the US and the countries of many of my collaborators. I've never had one of those codes and register songs all the time.

:) Casey

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Casey H wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm
kregdurant wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm
Casey H wrote:

There's no relationship between ISRC codes and PRO registration. You do not need one to register a song with a PRO. At least not in the US and the countries of many of my collaborators. I've never had one of those codes and register songs all the time.

Interesting so how does the pro connect the song? Just when the publisher does their thing?

Man I really do owe you a ton of beers at these point, but i'm almost caught up, almost lol
Need to do a taxi Tv of just the full on basics, or cover it in the orientation zoom. lol

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 pm

Every writer and every publisher has what's called a CAE/IPI#. When you join a PRO, you are assigned one.

When music is used on a TV show, the TV show production company files a cue sheet with the PROs (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). The cue sheet lists all the cues, the time lengths, how it was used (background, feature, etc.), the writer and their CAE#, and the publisher and their CAE#. This is how you get paid your PRO royalties. Based on cue sheets, the PRO pays the members.

Have you joined a PRO yet?

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Casey H wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 pm
Every writer and every publisher has what's called a CAE/IPI#. When you join a PRO, you are assigned one.

When music is used on a TV show, the TV show production company files a cue sheet with the PROs (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). The cue sheet lists all the cues, the time lengths, how it was used (background, feature, etc.), the writer and their CAE#, and the publisher and their CAE#. This is how you get paid your PRO royalties. Based on cue sheets, the PRO pays the members.

Have you joined a PRO yet?

Yes i'm on ASCAP so i have my IPI i figured that was the way it happened just wasn't 100% on it. Last question then, is there a point registering the song with my PRO? If the publisher is going to do it, it should populate in my works list right? Or do i need to upload it on my end and then connect them somehow on my end once its done on the publishers end. Or do they just submit the Cue sheet and then enter the IPI number and just pick the song from a dropdown list of works in that catalog?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 pm

You do not have to register your songs on your own, the publisher/library will with you as writer and them as publisher. Depending on the library and type of deal they might register under original title or a re-title. Re-titles are done by just adding a tag to your title ("EDS - Your Song") or a totally different title. This is done mainly by non-exclusive libraries to differentiate their placements from others, though some exclusive libraries re-title with tags as well.

The exceptions are: (1) A library asks you to do a registration. One Taxi friendly library many of us work with does that. (2) You have a likely chance (not just a forward, something much more imminent as far as placement) of a direct to supervisor placement where there is no publisher involved.

HTH
:D Casey

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 pm
You do not have to register your songs on your own, the publisher/library will with you as writer and them as publisher. Depending on the library and type of deal they might register under original title or a re-title. Re-titles are done by just adding a tag to your title ("EDS - Your Song") or a totally different title. This is done mainly by non-exclusive libraries to differentiate their placements from others, though some exclusive libraries re-title with tags as well.

The exceptions are: (1) A library asks you to do a registration. One Taxi friendly library many of us work with does that. (2) You have a likely chance (not just a forward, something much more imminent as far as placement) of a direct to supervisor placement where there is no publisher involved.

HTH
:D Casey
Ok i think I have my last question (I finally found the search function for the forum, but surprisingly this wasn't asked). Now in regards to Publishing Admins (like song trust). I know in an EXCLUSIVE deal, publishing admins are a no go, but when it comes to say an ARTIST project
and you need to be able to collect all royalties, where you are submitting to NON-Exclusive deals where they re-retitle the song, does this cause issues, and are you less likely to even get a non exclusive deal in this case?
If so, is there a work around? Because that seems to put artists in a disadvantage in that situation.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

from the songtrust website
"Your Songtrust agreement is non-exclusive with regards to synchronization royalties. This means that you can procure and process sync licenses through your own connections or third party service."
I assume that to mean it's fair game to pitch those tracks to any non-ex library that you wish, if there's only one flavor of songtrust admin agreement.

edit: after further reading, it seems that publishing admins do not operate the same way libraries do. So it may be complicated if songtrust collects fees that are due to the library? how do they know to distribute them properly? sigh...