Post by lgstarr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

:lol: Image

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: It costs HOW MUCH??

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 am

Too right! :lol:
I've used a similar analogy myself on several occasions, especially when people try to persuade you to play at their 'all-day gala event', want you to be available before the start for a sound-check, although you have to drive 2 hours each way to get there and you won't be on for at least 4 hours, then because you know that all the bands before you will run over they'll cut your 45 minute slot down to 25 minutes. Then they think your fee is a bit steep for less than half an hour's work (and besides, "the publicity is great for your profile"), when the reality is you've invested 12 hours on the job from door to door and less than half of the audience they promised actually showed up. :lol: The problem is, for every band that turns down such gigs working for less than minimum wage there are dozens more that will take it, so we mostly have little option but to suck it up - and laugh about it later with anyone who'll listen. ;) The guy who erected the marquee probably makes more money on such events than any of the bands. Its a good job we all love gigging, 'cos almost all of us will never be wealthy from it. I wonder whether plumbers take so much pleasure from their work? Maybe bands should diversify by offering to replace a few tap-washers between sets. ;)

P.S. No offence to plumbers or marquee erectors intended, just having a bit of fun.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:01 am

Good one. Bet I'm not the only one who passed this on to some gigging muso friends.
Last edited by funsongs on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Back in the late '80s, lot of the union musicians for weekend gigs in my area used to drive seventy miles from Nashville just to get $50 a night. They said most of the gigs in Nashville that they could get didn't pay as much or nothing. I assumed they were referring to backing up songwriters who were presenting their own material which many times weren't paying gigs.