It's rock but it's in another language, is it still rock?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

quinonesrey

It's rock but it's in another language, is it still rock?

Post by quinonesrey » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:05 am

Well, maybe stupid questions, but many times I see the lists, and they ask for punk, rock, and things that I like to do in music, but they sing in Spanish, what do I do?
Does it become Latin music just because it is in Spanish? What a dilemma!!

I just wanted to throw the question here to see if anyone has been through this or has another way of looking at it, thank you. ;)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: It's rock but it's in another language, is it still rock?

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:57 pm

Welcome! :mrgreen:
If a listing is requesting rock music, unless otherwise specified, if the vocal was not in English, it would not work. There are occasional listings for songs in foreign languages but a listing requesting Spanish and any particular style of rock music would be a rarity.

You might want to have the lyrics translated and sung by another vocalist in English but before you invest in that, I suggest you post one (or more) of the songs as is and the text of a listing you are considering. We can tell you if, other than the Spanish vocal, the track meets the listing requirements (opinions, but experienced ones). I don't know if you are a new member even though you are new to the forum. New members often try to shotgun out songs that aren't on target for the listing. The most successful folks write new music specifically for the listings. While sometimes an existing track you have will fit, it's most often not the case.

HTH!
:D Casey

quinonesrey

Re: It's rock but it's in another language, is it still rock?

Post by quinonesrey » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:51 am

Hi Casey.

Thank you for your advice, I've been in Taxi member for a year and a half, I did visit the forum from the beginning but couldn't enter for some reason.

I have already submitted music that fits the list ;) (thas what i think, jajaja) but they deny it because it is in Spanish and I have a great and interesting story of that but I think is a subject of an RR and a couple of beers.
But my question was, Even when I talk about Taxi is beyond the taxi listings, something more universal, because that is the perception, if you can say it like that, or does Google Translate translate it well for me, it's rock but it's in Spanish, well then it's Latin music, What?!!!!!!

Ex: Here in Puerto Rico, Rock is considered Pop in certain lines, however in Mexico rock is rock almost like in the United States, and in Argentina too, but it becomes a certain native music in countries like Colombia, Venezuela and Panama.

But my concern is, and here we can include Taxi, when we listen to the music and we know that it is rock but we hear that he sings in Spanish, it is automatically Latin music but it is not Salsa or merengue or anything that seems like it is rock and not to mention reggaeton,

well something difficult but the rules are the rules.

Thank you very Much :D :D :D Nice to meet you BOOM!!!