Jam Sessions

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Jam Sessions

Post by dynamicalan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Just thought I would open a thread of discussion about what styles and songs for the jam session. Go ahead and speak up and tell us what you may like to do.
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Jam Sessions

Post by suzdoyle » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 am

I'm a fan of most tunes from the 1890s to the 2010s . . . with a special fondness for singalong kind of tunes from the 60s, the mo-town era, Beatles, and everything from Bohemian Rhapsody to Crazy Train and -- ok, just about everything! Love jamming with folks, singing harmony, and playing piano, guitar -- and, of course, ukulele.

Hope to see more moon walking this year if we do some Michael Jackson tunes . . .

:-),
Suz
Last edited by suzdoyle on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:00 am

Suz,

thanks for posting back. That's very helpful. I always play bass in a band so in the case I get to jam I will work on those. I really like those songs a lot as well.

Take Care,

Alan

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 am

I harmonize by ear and play a mean shaker, too. Count me in for background vox and percussion ;) :P
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Suz,

i miss read your post. The 1890s those songs are long ago and may be interesting.

Alan

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Yep -- there were some sassy tunes back in the gay nineties (AKA 1890s or gaslight era) . . . I've led singalongs for folks of just about every age over the years, so have quite a collection in my brain of REALLY old songs!

One of my favs is from the 1910s -- "Can You Tame Wild Wimmen", about a hen-pecked husband who visits a Lion Tamer for help in getting his wife tamed. hehehe.

Then there's "The Old Soft Shoe", "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" and -- oh, wait. I'd best stop before I get into list making mode. See you at the Rally!
Suz

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 am

Suz,

when I worked for Princess back in the 90s on the Sky we started a show for the review cast called Americas Music all the songs chronologically started back around that period of time and went through the present. We may need charts for some of those songs.

I wrote an interesting instrumental a few years back which I listened to last night. It could turn into a good instrumental jam possibly with vocals. I named it Friday Morning. I admit it sounds a bit bazaar. I am not saying we should play that song but if we are bringing originals, I may like to bring something. By starting the thread I was actually asking in order to get my bass chops up stylistically.

I am not going to try to do an open mic. Are you dong an open mic?

Sincerely,

Alan

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am

Hi Alan;

Most likely I'll be doing mostly informal jam sessions with folks, but also accompanying folks who need a piano or guitar player at the open mics. Otherwise, I'm mostly going to go with the flow at this year's rally.

Will you be bringing your bass with you?

Be sure and track me down . . . it would be fun to jam with you!

Suz

P.S. Most likely I'll be the person playing heavy metal songs on the ukuele .... heheheh.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:08 am

HI Suz,

I would want to do an open mic and write a song to perform if I knew someone that could play guitar and sing. I would have to write the songs ahead of time to perform an open mic.

if the people your playing open mics with would like a bass player I would be happy to play bass but I would need to work there material up ahead of time. If not, that's fine, but if they want a bass player we may be able to prepare through the internet. If they can send an mp3 and I can also send an mp3 back to them.

I will be bring my bass with me. It's a Warwick 5 string thumb bass handcrafted in west germany in 88.

In any event I will look forward to jamming with you.

Sincerely,

Alan

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am

suzdoyle wrote:Most likely I'll be the person playing heavy metal songs on the ukuele .... heheheh.
Last year in the hotel lobby, after a round of death metal rock on her uke, Suz bit off some bat heads and set three guitars on fire.... And that was the mellow stuff... :lol: